Astros offseason thread

343,268 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rondon's not looking so good in his 'stros debut. Should we panic after one ST appearance?
zgood10
AG
Stassi with his 2nd dinger of the spring

Meanwhile split squad not doing so hot against Marlins
shano0603
AG
Davis is making Hinch's decision even tougher
irish pete ag06
AG
iBrad said:

Rondon's not looking so good in his 'stros debut. Should we panic after one ST appearance?
LOSENOW CONTINUES TO SUCK AT FINDING SHUTDOWN CLOSERS
astros4545
AG
Another Tucker ****er
Frok
AG
astros4545 said:

Another Tucker ****er

I hope he makes it to the majors just so I can say that again. My wife would get so mad at me.

BTKAG97
AG
astros4545 said:

Another Tucker ****er
Why does TexAgs censor Trucker?
agdaddy04
AG
Even though it's a replay it's pretty cool hearing Sparky and Ford on the way home again. So the trick to a short offseason is to win the WS every year? Good to know.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not a card guy. I have all mine from my childhood but haven't opened them in years, but this is awesome.

***Scroll over to see the WS and Altuve card.***

https://instagr.am/p/Bfrls2tnpm9
Agnzona
I'm hoping the Yankees implode early. Not likely but I'm already tired of them and Baseball Tonight (I.e. the Yankees and Red Sox show) hasn't even started.
maca1028
Agnzona said:

I'm hoping the Yankees implode early. Not likely but I'm already tired of them and Baseball Tonight (I.e. the Yankees and Red Sox show) hasn't even started.

You should watch more MLB Network and less ESPN.
AstroAggie15
AG
MLB network loves on the Astros a lot.

All I watch now for my baseball fix
jja79
AG
shano0603 said:

Davis is making Hinch's decision even tougher

It's February 26.
Buck Compton
AG
I'd bet anything that Tucker will not be anywhere near an Opening Day roster barring a major injury. It's not really close if we do, in fact, carry Stassi as a #3. Heck, he isn't even on the 40-man... He's going to be good for us I think, but let's not rush things.

EDIT: Removed Musgrove, completely forgot about that part of the trade.

Let's look at it by position:

12-13 Position Players
C
McCann, Gattis, Stassi
1B
Gurriel
2B
Altuve
SS
Correa
3B
Bregman
UTIL
Marwin
OF
Reddick, Springer, Marisnick, Fisher
OTHER
White / Kemp / Davis / Reed / Carry an extra pitcher

12-13 Pitchers
SP
Keuchel
Verlander
Cole
McCullers
Morton
McHugh (RP?)
RP
Gose / Martes / Paulino / Sipp (maybe two from this group)
Peacock
Devo
Rondon
Smith
Harris
Giles
bullard21k
AG
Hinch already said he's carrying 3 catchers over a month ago. And joe musgrove was traded

The only debate that hinch will make is spot #24 which will be Derrick fisher...And spot #25 which will be a relief pitcher (either one of the crappy lefties or Martes)

Everything else was settled the minute we traded for joe smith and Rondon. And while it's highly likely tucker starts off the year in the minors...one of the only reasons that's happening is because management wants to get him at bats and not lose development which is fine but this isn't 2013 where we are going to let kids "develope" for 5 years. Tucker is going to be on the major league roster at some point in the 2018 season. People said it would take awhile for him to adjust out of high school. Kid torpedoed his way to AA not even halfway through the season. He's on a one way track to the bigs in very short order
iBrad
AG
Martes and Paulino will be in the rotation at Fresno. Don't need them in the pen right now. I'm interested to see what happens with McHugh, Sipp, and Gose. Probably only room for one of them.

With Gurriel's suspension, someone will break camp with the big league club for five days. My guess is Tyler White.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Yuli is suspended? What did I miss? Or is it carry over from the gesture?
BMX Bandit
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Yuli is suspended? What did I miss? Or is it carry over from the gesture?
you missed a great word series!

CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07
AG
Hello AJ Reed and Tyler White!!!

I would really just as well give their PT to Yordon Alvarez.
Thriller
AG
Ag_07 said:

Except that Alvarez has never played High A. I get excited about prospects too, but being a top prospect doesn't mean you're ready for the show.
JJxvi
AG
I would assume that JD Davis would be the first in line to take some of Gurriel's time (after Marwin) as pretty much a like for like player.
TREX01
It's still almost 5 weeks til opening day let's see how serious this is. Marwin can handle that spot for a while and you have fisher and Jake in the outfield. Maybe Tyler white gets a couple of starts a week
Agnzona
Any chance we move a vet in the first half of the year? Thinking Reddick mostly?
Ag_07
AG
Thriller said:

Ag_07 said:

Except that Alvarez has never played High A. I get excited about prospects too, but being a top prospect doesn't mean you're ready for the show.

It's not that I think Yordan is ready.

That's how much I loath the Reed/White combo. I cringe seeing them come to the plate. Besides a couple great weeks in 2016 by White they have both been pretty underwhelming as MLB players.
CSWendt
Agnzona said:

Any chance we move a vet in the first half of the year? Thinking Reddick mostly?
This is a joke, right?
Agnzona
No thinking if the bullpen still has issues mid season and we think a trade is needed is rather trade a veteran out fielder than a prospect at this point.
Farmer1906
AG
Agnzona said:

No thinking if the bullpen still has issues mid season and we think a trade is needed is rather trade a veteran out fielder than a prospect at this point.
I do not follow this logic at all. Reddick is producing a high level. Why on earth would you trade him?

127 wRC+
.357 wOBA
AustinCountyAg
not that I would agree with trading Reddick, but you would trade him to get value back.....you don't trade your 3rd string High A ball outfielder for a proven MLB player. It doesnt work that way. You have to give up something to get something
titanmaster_race
Reading through this thread and it looks like we've been baseball starved and spending too much time in our own heads and armchair GM-ing.

When's opening day again?
bearkatag15
AG
Quote:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. The Astros are calling top position player prospect Kyle Tucker "Ted" from now on.

The Astros selected Tucker, a 6-4, left-handed outfielder, fifth overall in the 2015 draft. At 18, he had been compared on TV with Hall of Famer Ted Williams.

"That came out in the morning meeting a few days ago, and the boys took it upon themselves to rename him," manager A.J. Hinch said. "So he's going to go by Ted from here on out. They got him a nice nameplate."

His new locker nameplate reads "TED" in black marker. The Astros have not named the prankster who instructed the equipment manager to make the switch.

"He's not gonna touch it," Hinch said of Tucker. "He's not taking that down."

"Now he's just: 'Ted,'" outfielder Derek Fisher said. "Ted, and only Ted. He's not Tuck, he's not Teddy, he's not Ted Williams."

Ragging on Tucker, 21, for being compared so early in his career with one of the greatest hitters ever seems flattering and humorous.

"I don't know where you go from there," Fisher said. "You don't really go anywhere, once somebody compares you to Ted Williams. You can't really go much higher than that."

Fisher furthered the prospect's resemblance to Williams: "He doesn't wear batting gloves. That's the coolest part."

Upon hearing Fisher blurt his new name, Tucker turned around in his chair, slowly raised his hand and feigned a sheepish wave.

"I'm fine with it," Tucker said. "I don't make a big deal out of anything."

While teammates joke around, Tucker said with sincerity: "There's no pressure or anything."

Tucker showed the power and free-willing tendency of his swing last season, which he finished with Class-AA Corpus Christi. He hit .265, with a .837 OPS, with 25 home runs and 109 strikeouts. He also stole 21 bases.

He is 3-for-7, with two homers and five RBIs in three spring training games.

"The bat-to-ball skills are pretty elite from what we've seen," Hinch said. "Call him whatever you want so long as he keeps homering."

Hinch is not ready to endorse the comparison: "I never saw Ted play, so I don't know."
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-outfielder-prospect-Kyle-Tucker-nickname-12713127.php
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
mazag08
AG
When you only have two proven every day outfielders, you don't trade one. Tucker could be amazing, he could struggle. Marwin might be needed in the infield a lot. Marisnick is perfect in his role.. late innings and spot starts. Fisher is still unproven.

We need Reddick until we have proof that we don't.
NotGibbs
Makes me miss the real Ted

Gramercy Riffs
AG
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22595073/houston-astros-yuli-gurriel-returns-houston-hand-checked
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

not that I would agree with trading Reddick, but you would trade him to get value back.....you don't trade your 3rd string High A ball outfielder for a proven MLB player. It doesnt work that way. You have to give up something to get something
Reddick is in the prime of his career. The only scenario he gets traded is if he's a team not making the playoffs and a contender needs another bat. Clearly, this is now where we are as a team. If we're dead set on adding a high-end bullpen arm then the teams selling will be teams not making the playoffs and they don't want a 31-year-old. They want high-end prospects.

Yes, you have to give up to get something, but it's not like the scenario you laid out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.