Astros offseason thread

343,276 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone is posting here trying to figure out what pieces are needed to win a 2nd World Series.

Have we got third world problems or what?

And in the mean time on the Rangers offseason thread they vascilate between throwing in the towel and finding a #3 behind Doug freaking Fister.

Revel in it boys. Revel in it.
YellAg2004
AG
mathguy86 said:

Everyone is posting here trying to figure out what pieces are needed to win a 2nd World Series.

Have we got third world problems or what?

And in the mean time on the Rangers offseason thread they vascilate between throwing in the towel and finding a #3 behind Doug freaking Fister.

Revel in it boys. Revel in it.
Buck Compton
AG
One thing I like about the Astros over the last few years is they aren't going to overreact. Gerrit Cole is great, but I honestly don't know how much we would have used him in the playoffs. Keuchel, Verlander, McCullers, and Morton all get the nod first, IMO.

If the Yankees don't win it all in the next year or two, their fans will be even more livid. They're reverting to trying to buy a championship again. The pressure on that team to live up to the hype will be enormous.

Compare our opening day roster last year to this year and once again we are hands down better. As reigning champs, you get the luxury of waiting and seeing. Our three most impactful additions last off-season were McCann, Beltran, and Morton. None of them were headline signings, but they fit our team perfectly. I'm looking forward to seeing our young guys take yet another step forward, and we can fill in the gaps (likely a bullpen lefty) at the break if needed.

Things to remember:
- Last year was Yuli's first real year
- Bregman found his stride in the second half
- We added Verlander and get him for a full season
- Moran may be a contributor
- Fisher was a huge asset late
- Marisnick rounded into form and wasn't there in the playoffs
- Fiers is gone
- Gregerson is gone
- We survived injuries to the majority of our key players, which hopefully won't happen next year
Beau Bevers
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Traveling up to visit family in the north tx area today. I will be wearing Astros World Series hat and an Astros shirt. I will not comment on the World Series win. It will be a subtle reminder that the rangers suck balls

My wife is from Plano and we are up here with the in-laws. Been wearing my WS champions hat while driving around town with the kids. Words cannot express the sheer joy of receiving all of these dirty looks from fellow shoppers. Truly glorious. They can't say one word and just have to eat it.
agproducer
AG
The additions the Yankees are making are scary, but our strong team has gotten stronger as well.

What's to say Judge and Sanchez don't regress for the Yanks this year? Stanton is a great add for NY, so I'll give them that. Stanton hit .281 last year, but he is a career .268 hitter -- so he may regress to the mean. He had 59 HR last year, but his previous high was 37. He's only hit more than 100 RBI twice in his 8 year career. He struck out 163 times last year -- 7th in the NL. Judge K'd 208 times to lead the MLB. Yankees appear to be built like the 2015 Astros. Chicks dig the long ball. They will still make the playoffs, but they're losing unless they can hit the ball out of the yard.

Also, how much does Sabathia have left in the tank? They're starting rotation is ok, but we've shown we can hit them.

Our rotation will be stronger this year with Verlander. The bullpen signings on Smith and Rondon are definite upgrades. We still need the LH reliever. Yuli has a full year under his belt. It's the same with Bregs.

If the Astros can add Archer (not that they totally need him), the rotation would be virtually untouchable.

I cannot wait for baseball to be back.
klsmith89
AG
The excitement in baseball has been awesome. Especially considering all the other **** going on lately.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

I cannot wait for baseball to be back.

I hear you, but consider another approach. Instead of being anxious for opening day, savor every day of this off season. The Astros are WS champs and no one can do anything about it for months. Soon enough 29 other teams are gong to try to knock them off. And this off season is definitely low stress, compared to what we have to look forward to next year. I'm in no rush for next season to get here. It will be soon enough.
Ag_07
AG
Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!
07ag
AG
Merry Christmas ya'll,, anyone else get any cool gear?

k20dub
AG
I got this sweet bat from my parents. Have the same one from 2005 World Series.

https://www.bigtimebats.com/catalog/?product=6121
Ag13
AG
Dick's sporting goods has some amazing deals on polos and jackets ... just $10. Just type in Astros in the Dick's search bar.
AgDoc03
AG
Ag13 said:

Dick's sporting goods has some amazing deals on polos and jackets ... just $10. Just type in Astros in the Dick's search bar.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag13 said:

I just got the $90 golf jacket and $26 tumbler for $18. Appreciate the heads up!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
**** that was a screw up by dicks I'm assuming. $10 jackets and stuff that was originally 70-100$

Still up but can't click the item, it says the website is having an issue.
CFTXAG10
AG
I hope they don't cancel my order
iBrad
AG
Damn. Just missed it.
AgDoc03
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Same here. Got the $65 hoodie for $10.78 with tax.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
I got 8 WS jerseys for $80.
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Sorry man but no way they don't cancel that order
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BCSGrubber
AG
Dicks has taken it down
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Farmer1906 said:

Sorry man but no way they don't cancel that order

Who said it was one order?
gougler08
AG
AgDoc03 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Same here. Got the $65 hoodie for $10.78 with tax.

I got the pullover at the same price...here's to hoping it isn't canceled
irish pete ag06
AG
Ordered 2 hoodies

Seriously pissed that I missed out on a jersey.
Ag13
AG
Ag13 said:

Just got an email saying my order was cancelled
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Ordered 2 hoodies

They canceled the jerseys.
irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Ordered 2 hoodies

Ah yes. I got notification that the hoodies are shipping. Sweet.
n_touch
irish pete ag06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Ordered 2 hoodies

Ah yes. I got notification that the hoodies are shipping. Sweet.

Got the hoodies at the sale price?
irish pete ag06
AG
Yes.
JABQ04
AG
AT&T (formerly root sports) is showing Astros Playback right now. It's the Astros vs the Twins Memorial Day Comeback Special. Currently the 8th inning miracle and god I'm so ready for Baseball season to be back
PETE2019
AG
gigemJTH12
AG
that sale sucks. I get what they are doing but nothing on there makes me want to spend money that I normally wouldnt. Which was the whole point of yesterday.
Mr.Bond
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

that sale sucks. I get what they are doing but nothing on there makes me want to spend money that I normally wouldnt. Which was the whole point of yesterday.

I bought a white Columbia pullover. That was it. No bregman jersey........ Blows
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

agproducer
AG
Anyone have luck with the cheaper knockoff jerseys like on Bonanza and Fanatics? I wanted to grab an orange Springer WS jersey, but I don't love the $140 price tag. If I could get it for $45, I'm for it.

The Academy sale only has Correa, Verlander and Keuchel. I'd grab a Springer jersey at that $70 price point no problem.

I have to keep the price low because I've already gotten so much WS stuff. My wife already has freaked out about the three t-shirts, lanyard, pint glass, koozie, fitted hat with the WS patch and bottle opener.
Mr.Bond
AG
agproducer said:

Anyone have luck with the cheaper knockoff jerseys like on Bonanza and Fanatics? I wanted to grab an orange Springer WS jersey, but I don't love the $140 price tag. If I could get it for $45, I'm for it.

The Academy sale only has Correa, Verlander and Keuchel. I'd grab a Springer jersey at that $70 price point no problem.

I have to keep the price low because I've already gotten so much WS stuff. My wife already has freaked out about the three t-shirts, lanyard, pint glass, koozie, fitted hat with the WS patch and bottle opener.

Bought one from China and it Sucked. Size was way too small

Farmer1906
AG
So we're all boycotting dicks sporting goods, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.