Astros offseason thread

343,815 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NotGibbs said:

Astros meeting with Darsh

Maybe we just brought him in to get him fitted for his World Series ring
titanmaster_race
Maybe they figure he will tip his salary expectations.
NotGibbs
Britton ruptures his Achilles during offseason workouts. Astros really dodged a bullet by the O's owner being headstrong
Farmer1906
AG
NotGibbs said:

Britton ruptures his Achilles during offseason workouts. Astros really dodged a bullet by the O's owner being headstrong
Sounds like he just got cheaper. He's expected to be back around the All Star Break. I say make it happen still.
NotGibbs
Farmer1906
AG
NotGibbs said:

Ag_07
AG
I feel for Britton because when he's healthy he's a stud but just can't seem to catch a break.

But it serves that jackwad of an owner right for not dealing him when he could. Works out in our favor and sucks for Britton but I'm glad it happened before he was traded anywhere a after they tendered him a contract.
. . .
klsmith89
AG
Interesting. I wish Preston luck. He was an intriguing prospect, but just never panned out in this roster.
iBrad
AG
Preston doesn't have a position. He's below average anywhere you put him and his bat just hasn't developed enough to offset his defensive shortcomings. Plus, he'll be 28 this summer.

If he could come close to replicating what he did his rookie year, he might be a serviceable major leaguer for a team with roster spots. There's just no room for him in Houston and no sense in him taking up a spot in Fresno.
Mr.Ackar07
J_R said:

A player to be named later?

Fingers crossed for lefty bullpen arm A.J. Minter.
iBrad
AG
I'm guessing we'll get cash or some low level prospect you've never heard of.
Mr.Ackar07
The Rays also traded away Longoria today to the Giants. I wonder if Archer will be next.
shano0603
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

The Rays also traded away Longoria today to the Giants. I wonder if Archer will be next.

That trade was weird. Giants traded their top prospect. But he was only a borderline top 50 guy.
Trade was like us trading Bukauskas, Gustave , Arauz, and Marisnick.
k20dub
AG
Farmer1906
AG
k20dub said:

Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

. . .
Pahdz
If by sex he means cocaine
BCSGrubber
AG
Why not both?
Farmer1906
AG

All these moves quality moves by NY while we stand pat makes me uneasy.
Mr.Bond
AG
NYY pockets are an abyss man.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
It'll be interesting to see what they have to give up if the Yanks land Cole.

They gave up nothing to get Gray, gave up nothing (as far as prospects) to get Stanton, Tanaka staying so nothing given up, and brought CC back without giving up anything.

It'd be nice if the Pirates played some hardball and asked for the moon and stars to keep them from adding while still holding on to the their valuable pieces.

That's the only thing that scares me is that they got some nice prospects when they semi tore down in 2016 and they have yet to take a hit while they're adding.
NotGibbs
Happy Friday everyone

coastalAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

It'll be interesting to see what they have to give up if the Yanks land Cole.

They gave up nothing to get Gray, gave up nothing (as far as prospects) to get Stanton, Tanaka staying so nothing given up, and brought CC back without giving up anything.

It'd be nice if the Pirates played some hardball and asked for the moon and stars to keep them from adding while still holding on to the their valuable pieces.

That's the only thing that scares me is that they got some nice prospects when they semi tore down in 2016 and they have yet to take a hit while they're adding.

Pirates are asking for Torres, Yankees want Frazier to be the centerpiece. My guess is it will be Frazier plus some of the second tier pitching depth the Yankees have. Maybe an Albert Abreu and one other.

Would be a nice haul for Pittsburgh, but hurts the Yankees absolutely none. Frazier has no spot in the outfield with Fowler coming back next year and they have power arms for days.

It will be interesting to see if Cole's home run numbers regress back to the mean. Looking at all of his other peripherals, it looks like they probably should.

titanmaster_race
Just when you think you couldn't hate NY more
Agnzona
Like it or not the Astros are now in the Dodgers, Yankees realm. They don't have to match them dollar wise but they have to be willing to make the occasional big mistake. I'd counter all of their spending with another big bat.
Ag_07
AG
Agnzona said:

Like it or not the Astros are now in the Dodgers, Yankees realm. They don't have to match them dollar wise but they have to be willing to make the occasional big mistake. I'd counter all of their spending with another big bat.

Or an Archer trade.
NotGibbs
Agnzona said:

I get what you're saying, but there's 1 huge difference between the stros and the Dodgers/Yankees: Astros have won a WS in this time period. If the stros don't win another in the next 10 years, whatever. They still won one. If the Yankees or Dodgers don't? Wasted opportunity. I'm sure if the stros didn't beat the Dodgers, we'd be pushing a lot harder to try and make a big trade/acquisition for next year
AustinCountyAg
Traveling up to visit family in the north tx area today. I will be wearing Astros World Series hat and an Astros shirt. I will not comment on the World Series win. It will be a subtle reminder that the rangers suck balls
Agnzona
True, but my whole premise is the Astros and us fans, want more than one. And if I was a betting men I'd also bet both of them will have a WS in the next 5 years.
DVC2010
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Just when you think you couldn't hate NY more

I have never thought this.
NotGibbs
Sure. And it's not like we're just going to sit around on our hands for the next 5 year. But there's not a ton of glaring holes (other than the BP, where there isn't a easy answer this offseason), so there's no use going out and making trades just for the sake of it
Agnzona
Absolutely agree there too.
Farmer1906
AG
NotGibbs said:

Agnzona said:

I get what you're saying, but there's 1 huge difference between the stros and the Dodgers/Yankees: Astros have won a WS in this time period. If the stros don't win another in the next 10 years, whatever. They still won one. If the Yankees or Dodgers don't? Wasted opportunity. I'm sure if the stros didn't beat the Dodgers, we'd be pushing a lot harder to try and make a big trade/acquisition for next year
To me this is a loser's mentality. I want to go win another 9 WS titles over the next 9 years. Is it realistic? Of course not, but I want the team, front office, organization, etc. all working towards that goal every year. Maybe the best move is to sit pat. But I don't want to not try and get better because hey we won one last year or a few years ago if we're looking out past this offseason.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.