Astros offseason thread

337,154 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
cap-n-jack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I know nothing about this guy, I guess he was an outfield prospect mired in the minors. I wonder if this is the idea of the coaches or management or he's taken it upon his own to try and make the switch. Would be cool if it worked out for him.
Farmer1906
AG
Isn't pretty much everyone "t-shirt" fans of pro teams?
DVC2010
AG
I've been wearing the tee shirt since the mid-nineties! It's part of me, damn it!

Also, I had no idea the rockets were going so well. Good for them.
Basketball and Chain
AG
cap-n-jack said:

So I know nothing about this guy, I guess he was an outfield prospect mired in the minors. I wonder if this is the idea of the coaches or management or he's taken it upon his own to try and make the switch. Would be cool if it worked out for him.

He pitched last year for the Tigers in the minors.

Gose does have experience on the mound, having spent time as a pitcher during his high school days. ESPN's Keith Law, who saw Gose in high school, thought he had a chance to work out of the bullpen.

"Saw him up to 97, super fast arm, violent delivery," Law told the Detroit Free Press. "Thought he was probably a reliever in the end but better chances than as a hitter."

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/anthony-gose-to-try-switching-from-outfielder-to-pitcher/359416
Bryan98
AG
DVC2010 said:

Can we have a password or secret handshake so it's easier to spot the tee shirt fans who will be swapping out their blue and red for orange?
Red Sox fans? Patriots fans? Who are we talking about?
Mr.Bond
AG
WES2006AG said:

Y'all should come join us on the Rockets thread. Still plenty of room on this bandwagon.

NBA has just worn on me the last few years. Hell I worked for the Rockets and can't really stand pro basketball anymore
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

iBrad
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

cap-n-jack said:

He pitched last year for the Tigers in the minors.

Gose does have experience on the mound, having spent time as a pitcher during his high school days. ESPN's Keith Law, who saw Gose in high school, thought he had a chance to work out of the bullpen.

"Saw him up to 97, super fast arm, violent delivery," Law told the Detroit Free Press. "Thought he was probably a reliever in the end but better chances than as a hitter."

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/anthony-gose-to-try-switching-from-outfielder-to-pitcher/359416
To add to that, the Rangers signed Gose in late November to a minor league deal, and then the Astros took him in the Rule 5 draft a couple of weeks later. He has to make the 25-man roster or he goes back to the Rangers. I'm really hoping he can find a place in the pen. One, because we need a lefty reliever and a guy throwing mid-to-upper 90s would be fantastic. And two, because sticking it to the Rangers would be awesome.
07ag
AG
mini plans are on sale now

https://www.mlb.com/astros/tickets/season-tickets/mini-plans
AstroAggie15
AG
07ag said:

mini plans are on sale now

https://www.mlb.com/astros/tickets/season-tickets/mini-plans

The seats suck. Tired getting a 28 game plan but they don't even offer it in the club level anymore. Oh and by the way, when you call them, they are pretty rude and not as eager to assist as they were in 2012-14

Guess that comes with the price of winning a World Series
NotGibbs
I was considering buying a mini ticket package, but I'm still upset that they wouldn't send me a physical ticket from the WS game I went to. I'm not going to boycott the team or anything, but screw the ticket office right now
Mr.Bond
AG
NotGibbs said:

I was considering buying a mini ticket package, but I'm still upset that they wouldn't send me a physical ticket from the WS game I went to. I'm not going to boycott the team or anything, but screw the ticket office right now

I agree I was pissed but thatsmyticket.com was awesome
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

JJWAGGIE
AG
We bought a weekend only mini plan in mid January... seats 15 or so rows back/just outside line with 3rd base (don't remember section offhand). We were pretty happy with them considering coming off a championship. The sales agent was great... gave us two hard copy World Series tickets since we only had electronic tickets for the game we attended and let us come by MMP to check out the seats.
CFTXAG10
AG
Hearing single game presale will be next Friday
shano0603
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Isn't pretty much everyone "t-shirt" fans of pro teams?
I was born in Houston and some of my oldest memories have to do with the Rockets and Astros... Opposite of what he is getting at. Heck, if you cheered for the Astros during the dark years, I'd give you a pass no matter how long you had been a fan.
gigemJTH12
AG
have yall been seeing Mrs. Verlander on instagram this week?? She did a special SI shoot in Aruba and...yeah..

If you havent, allow me to bless your Friday.

https://instagr.am/p/BfMdnbrHD8O

https://instagr.am/p/BfLbl5KHXtk

https://instagr.am/p/BfLaVkjHYKA

https://instagr.am/p/BfLulwYn5YV

https://instagr.am/p/BfMCTWDnj-w

https://instagr.am/p/BfMQhcHHXpC
AstroAggie15
AG
Giggidy
k20dub
AG
A full season of Mrs. Verlander TOFA?

NotGibbs
A quick thought I had this morning:

Is there any chance we see Gose in the outfield for 1 or 2 batters in order to keep a lefty reliever available late? Obviously he's capable of playing outfield since that was what he's played for most of his career.
Mr.Ackar07
NotGibbs said:

Is there any chance we see Gose in the outfield for 1 or 2 batters in order to keep a lefty reliever available late? Obviously he's capable of playing outfield since that was what he's played for most of his career.
We could lose the DH then unless he replaced an outfielder and then rotated with the pitcher to the mound.
WES2006AG
AG
NotGibbs said:

What would be the advantage here? If you are going to bring him in to the outfield before he pitches why not wait until we are ready for him to pitch? I'm not familiar with the major league rulebook but I don't think you can have him face a batter, move to the outfield, and then return to face another batter later.
Farmer1906
AG
WES2006AG said:

NotGibbs said:

What would be the advantage here? If you are going to bring him in to the outfield before he pitches why not wait until we are ready for him to pitch? I'm not familiar with the major league rulebook but I don't think you can have him face a batter, move to the outfield, and then return to face another batter later.
Why not?

Sean Marshall did it.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200907122.shtml
NotGibbs
Tony Sipp did it at least once also
CSWendt
Was talking to a friend last week and we were just reminiscing on not just the playoffs, but the regular season. I don't think Astros fans will ever experience a more exciting season. It got me thinking, what are my top 5 moments from the regular season...

1. Marwin Walkoff vs Rangers (Easily #1)
2a. Comeback vs. Twins
2b. Grasshopper Chopper vs. Mariners
3. Springer walkoff in opening series
4. Comeback vs. Ozuna and Jays
5. Comeback vs. Chapman and Yanks

Edit: Forgot about the massacre in the Bronx on Jeter night. That is somewhere in my top 5 for sure.

You won't find another baseball season that has as many great memories as our last one!

What's y'alls favorite moments from last regular season??
WES2006AG
AG
I stand corrected. I know its allowed in the federation rulebook for high school. I just assumed MLB would have handled it differently.
astros4545
AG
Getting no hit by Sean's manae for 6 innings
Then exploding for 10 runs to romp Oakland
EagleAg19
Verlander trade was a highlight for me especially when it felt like some teams were getting ahead of us at that point.

That and finally clinching the AL West
astros4545
AG
Also

The tv broadcasts where TexAgs got images put up

Stepbrothers/ Jake from Rake Farm
The Milkman
AG
The comeback vs the Twins I think was my #1 regular season highlight. Memorial Day so we got to watch the whole thing and remember thinking how it was actually a pretty brutal and boring game for the first 7 innings.

Then 14 in 8 and 9... insane.

To me I feel like that was a moment when I knew this team's bats could keep us in every game.
Ag_07
AG
That series in TOR right before the ASB that the offense put up some ridiculous numbers. Correa was absolutely crushing the ball, George was dropping bombs (both had multi HR games in that series), and the offense was just ridiculous.

I'll also remember the game in MIA where we exploded and Jake hit 2 bombs off that atrocious thing in CF.

Off the field...Burying Beltran's glove
astros4545
AG
Jake's walk off throw off against NY on a Friday night which saved a Keuchel W and prevented a Giles blown save

Also, I saw that game in person and was sitting against the 3rd base cutout first row, so perfect view
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I've been out of the loop since the World Series. I know about the Cole acquisition, but I was wondering if the Stros did anything to strengthen the bullpen. Did they bring anyone else in this offseason or are they hoping some of the minor league arms can make the jump?
DVC2010
AG
I'm excluding anything I saw on TV.

1. Peacock walking in the tying run in extras, then striking out the side so that Springer could walk it off in the bottom half. On a Wednesday. The first week of the season.
2. Yuli's go-ahead single off of Aroldis Chapman in the middle of the season. Was Betances ever the same after that game?
3. My first opening day.
4. Devo.
5. Sitting in Keuchel's Corner and watching him dominate...only for Gregerson to give up six runs in less time than it took for him to get warm
5. Good baseball talk with fans at the game, including some of y'all, an English-born Nats fan from Austin, and a couple of guys from Boston (who weren't in town to see the Red Sox; they were just visiting parks). Basically anyone other than Yankees fans. Also, Fred, the Crawford Box usher is awesome.
DVC2010
AG
This guy doesn't know the handshake.
Max Power
AG
DVC2010 said:

Can we have a password or secret handshake so it's easier to spot the tee shirt fans who will be swapping out their blue and red for orange?
You can tell by their cap. If their Astros cap appears to have been worn to do yard work for a decade then they're legit. New caps aren't to be trusted. You can also ask them what team Nolan Ryan played for, if they say the Rangers, Mets, or Angels they are also not to be trusted.
DVC2010
AG
Lots of us are wearing new caps because our old ones don't say World Series! The Nolan Ryan bit is good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.