Astros offseason thread

350,777 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I met Singleton at a bar in Midtown once upon a time. Nice dude, but what an idiot
TREX01
Whitely is a better pitcher than martes and Paulino will ever be. He's also better right now than mchugh. We are in the business of winning now, not watching players clocks.
shano0603
AG
TREX01 said:

Whitely is a better pitcher than martes and Paulino will ever be. He's also better right now than mchugh. We are in the business of winning now, not watching players clocks.

I won't say that about Martes yet. Dude could be elite if he could figure out his command.
Ag_07
AG
TREX01 said:

Settle down. McHugh has a 19 win season and playoff starts under his belt. Whitley hasn't even pitched in AAA.

To says he's better right now is just inaccurate. You or anyone else for that matter don't know how good of a ML pitcher he is.

Remember when we thought Appel was going to fly through the system and be ML ready in no time?
iBrad
AG
Whitley has 14 innings above A ball. He's very likely the best pitching prospect in baseball, but let's stop acting like he's ready to enter the rotation. There is absolutely no reason to rush him along. Let the kid develop.
astros4545
AG
One month ban on TexAgs is over
WE GOT COLE BABY!!!!!!!!
Mr.Bond
AG
astros4545 said:

One month ban on TexAgs is over
WE GOT COLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Details
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

NotGibbs
One person voted for Carlos Lee's fat ass
BarryProfit
I thought luhnow has said recently that both tucker and Whitley will start the season in corpus?
irish pete ag06
AG

I love this kid so damn much.
Mr.Bond
AG
Had no clue he knew Spanish
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Ag_07
AG
Mr.Bond said:

NotGibbs
Mr.Bond said:

IF YALL LISTENED TO ASTROLINE PODCASTS LIKE I TOLD YALL TO...
Farmer1906
AG
Pretty sure this was posted previously

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21235716/houston-astros-third-baseman-alex-bregman-learns-spanish-teammates

Quote:

What could a Jewish baseball sensation from New Mexico, a Puerto Rican phenom from Santa Isabel, a member of a Cuban baseball royal family and a Venezuelan prodigy possibly have in common?
For one, they speak the same language.

Alex Bregman has managed to develop an unbreakable bond with his Latin Houston Astros teammates, particularly fellow infielders Carlos Correa, Yulieski Gurriel and Jose Altuve, by bridging the communication gap and learning to speak Spanish.

NotGibbs
A Jewish baseball sensation from New Mexico, a Puerto Rican phenom from Santa Isabel, a member of a Cuban baseball royal family and a Venezuelan prodigy walk into a bar
Mathguy64
AG
NotGibbs said:

A Jewish baseball sensation from New Mexico, a Puerto Rican phenom from Santa Isabel, a member of a Cuban baseball royal family and a Venezuelan prodigy walk into a bar...
They each flash their WS ring to the bartender...
Ag_07
AG
mathguy86 said:

NotGibbs said:

A Jewish baseball sensation from New Mexico, a Puerto Rican phenom from Santa Isabel, a member of a Cuban baseball royal family and a Venezuelan prodigy walk into a bar...

And the Jewish player asks the bartender "Do you happen to have some shorter barstools?"

Giving him a weird look since no one has ever asked the question the bartender responded with "No sorry I don't. What's wrong with the stools I got?'

To which to the Jewish player responded "You try climbing all the way up on these stools with balls this big."

That's the best I got fellas

Mathguy64
AG
And we have a winner already. That didnt take long.

Blue parachute awarded.
NotGibbs
No Whitley invite to big league camp. Probably not a bad idea to leave him off considering how young he is, and he hasn't had a ton of experience yet. I'd also say this is pretty telling that he won't be on the major league roster this year, barring major surprises

iBrad
AG
And there's only so many innings to go around.
Ag_07
AG
Caught the tail end of this discussion on the radio as I went to lunch today.

Does Billy Wagner have a case for the HOF?

He had a 16 year career and finished with 422 saves (6th all time). He's ahead of HOFs Dennis Eckersley (7th), Rollie Fingers (17th), Goose Gossage (23rd), and Bruce Sutter (12th).

From 97-08 he had a run of seasons with 23, 30, 39, 6 (injury), 39, 35, 44, 21, 38, 40, 34, and 27 saves. 2009 was another injury year and only had 16 IP and finished his career in 2010 with 37 saves (had no idea he was that effective in ATL).

His career ERA was 2.31 as compared to Mariano's 2.21 and Hoffman's 2.87.

His K/9 finished at 11.92 as compared to Mariano's 8.22 and Hoffman's 9.36.

**I compared to these two just because Mariano is a sure first ballot HOFer and Hoffman was just voted in.

I never really thought about it until today but just looking at the surface I think he should be strongly considered. Not sure if he ever will, but I think he should be.
astros4545
AG
And Lance Bergman had a better career WRC than Chipper Jones
Mr.Ackar07
Ag_07 said:

Caught the tail end of this discussion on the radio as I went to lunch today.

Does Billy Wagner have a case for the HOF?

He had a 16 year career and finished with 422 saves (6th all time). He's ahead of HOFs Dennis Eckersley (7th), Rollie Fingers (17th), Goose Gossage (23rd), and Bruce Sutter (12th).

From 97-08 he had a run of seasons with 23, 30, 39, 6 (injury), 39, 35, 44, 21, 38, 40, 34, and 27 saves. 2009 was another injury year and only had 16 IP and finished his career in 2010 with 37 saves (had no idea he was that effective in ATL).

His career ERA was 2.31 as compared to Mariano's 2.21 and Hoffman's 2.87.

His K/9 finished at 11.92 as compared to Mariano's 8.22 and Hoffman's 9.36.

**I compared to these two just because Mariano is a sure first ballot HOFer and Hoffman was just voted in.

I never really thought about it until today but just looking at the surface I think he should be strongly considered. Not sure if he ever will, but I think he should be.
Wagner is also the only pitcher to pitch after the dead-ball era to have a sub 1.00 career WHIP.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

mathguy86 said:

NotGibbs said:

And the Jewish player asks the bartender "Do you happen to have some shorter barstools?"

Giving him a weird look since no one has ever asked the question the bartender responded with "No sorry I don't. What's wrong with the stools I got?'

To which to the Jewish player responded "You try climbing all the way up on these stools with balls this big."

That's the best I got fellas

Cut to 15 minutes earlier, the Jewish player is looking all up and down the nearby alley for a place to park his wheelbarrow.
tjack16
AG
I know it probably won't happen for a couple of years or so... but any projections on when Corbin Martin might get called up to the show? I'd say 2020 if he keeps on track with what he did last season in rookie ball
Mathguy64
AG
Wagner is 100% a HOF reliever is you consider any metric more advanced than saves. He will never get in because he didnt enter and finish enough games in the 9th inning with a 3 run lead.

And this just in. Saves are STUPID.
NotGibbs
tjholley17 said:

I know it probably won't happen for a couple of years or so... but any projections on when Corbin Martin might get called up to the show? I'd say 2020 if he keeps on track with what he did last season in rookie ball

I'd be shocked if he's on the Astros big league roster by 2020. He's a guy who has yet to put together a complete solid season. He's had major ups and downs, so you need to imagine he'll at least have 1 or 2 seasons minimum with the same ups and downs until he learns and figures it out a bit. I'd say 2022 is a better guess, assuming he ever figures it out and makes the show
iBrad
AG
Brewers appear to be loading up with outfielders with the Yelich and Cain additions.
Ag_07
AG
So I assume they're out on Darsh?
BarryProfit
Ag_07 said:

So I assume they're out on Darsh?

Not what I've read, supposedly they are still trying to land him.
iBrad
AG
I would expect the Brewers to try to trade some outfielders for starting pitching, too. Former Astros prospects Santana and Phillips could be part of a package.
Buck Compton
AG
They're really getting feisty over in the Rangers thread...

Basically, our window is only one or two more years, then the only way we will get to be good again is to tank for 4 more seasons. The moral high ground is all they have over there now, I guess.
iBrad
AG
Stay off their thread, guys. I don't want those chumps over here on ours. We won the WS. Who gives a shot what those guys think?
mazag08
AG
iBrad said:

Stay off their thread, guys. I don't want those chumps over here on ours. We won the WS. Who gives a shot what those guys think?

So much this.

And most of them were very congratulatory to is. No need to venture over there.
gougler08
AG
I'm not sure if mhayden has mentioned that we tanked for 4 years for this World Series and how we would rather have tried every season and never won one

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.