Astros offseason thread

337,135 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BTW, everybody who has been around long enough will have their first post be from 2007 if you only search this forum. The MLB & Other Baseball forum only started in 2007. My first Astros post was in December of 2003. Prior to 2007 all baseball talk was on what is now the Texas A&M Baseball & Softball board.

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/286403/replies/3388741
Buck Compton
AG
No way Stanton is happening... Though it would be crazy to have both the AL and NL MVPs from the previous season on the same team. What would that lineup even look like?

Springer - CF
Bregman - 3B
Altuve - 2B
Stanton - RF
Correa - SS
Gurriel - 1B
Reddick - LF
Gonzalez - DH
McCann/Gattis - C

BENCH
Marisnick, Moran, Fisher

That would be insane. Since it's not a need, there's no way it happens (and that contract is what's really insane)
Ag_07
AG
That's the lineup I would go with but Marwin would play LF and Stanton DH.

This way if you need to move Marwin late in games you won't lose the DH.

Therefore, one could say that with Betran gone there is a need for a DH. And yes that contract is insane
iBrad
AG
Ag_07 said:

When?

Like recently or in the past before he got his big contract?
In the past.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/7/1/5860426/astros-giancarlo-stanton-trade-leaked-hacked

iBrad
AG
JJxvi said:

BTW, everybody who has been around long enough will have their first post be from 2007 if you only search this forum. The MLB & Other Baseball forum only started in 2007. My first Astros post was in December of 2003. Prior to 2007 all baseball talk was on what is now the Texas A&M Baseball & Softball board.

Thanks for the info. My first was actually 2004. Also found some gems from 2004, including the Beltran trade: https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/339805/1

coastalAg
AG
https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/883315/replies/11669385

Quote:

Im so sick of watching this garbage. I cant believe we continue to trot out this weak ass lineup year after year. Until guys like Everett, Ausmus, Ensberg, Lane, and even Biggio are gone, I just cant watch this team anymore.

Keep Pence, Lee, Berkman, Oswalt, the bullpen and just start over with the rest of the team.

Farmer1906
AG
Mine was in 2010.

Quote:

Favorite Classic Astro

James Moooooooooooooooooooouton
W
AG
yes, Stanton's contract is utterly insane.

would still be due $32 MM in 2023, 2024, and 2025.

then $29 MM in 2026 and $25 MM in 2027.

that would be organizational suicide. Even Carlos Lee would agree
Pahdz
My first Astros related posted was in October 2004, looking for a thread on "All Systems Go"

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/374154/replies
HotardAg07
AG
Old news, but the Lucroy rumors read to me like they were originating more from the Lucroy camp than the Astros camp. Sounds like he wanted to play in Texas. But his salary expectations don't seem to line up.
Frok
AG
iBrad said:

JJxvi said:

Thanks for the info. My first was actually 2004. Also found some gems from 2004, including the Beltran trade: https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/339805/1

Man, I had some facepalm comments on that thread. I guess I've matured in my baseball knowledge the last 13 years.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

yes, Stanton's contract is utterly insane.

would still be due $32 MM in 2023, 2024, and 2025.

then $29 MM in 2026 and $25 MM in 2027.

that would be organizational suicide. Even Carlos Lee would agree
Not if he was still hitting 60 home runs a year.

But, yes, you're probably right and Stanton will not be here next year. We'll add someone, but that big of a name.
BowSowy
AG
We're absolutely not trading for Stanton. I thought y'all were playing the "what if" game but I'm starting to think some of y'all are serious.
k20dub
AG
Agnzona
Good I'd like the Doggers to have some more competition in the NL.
Mr.Bond
AG
Thought I heard he didn't want to play in st Louis
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
From MLBTR

Quote:

• Evan Gattis logged more time at catcher than designated hitter in 2017, but it's very likely to be the other way around next season, Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle reports. The Astros plan to use Gattis almost exclusively at DH (replacing the departed Carlos Beltran) and find a more traditional No. 2 catcher to place behind Brian McCann. Houston could go outside the organization to find McCann's next backup, but the team may like in-house option Max Stassi enough to give him the role, Kaplan relays. Both Stassi and fellow reserve catcher Juan Centeno will be out of options next season, and Kaplan suggests that the Astros will try to keep the latter in the organization by sending him through outright waivers in the coming months.

Kinda what all guessed when we showed interest in Lucroy
Kashchei
AG
I apologize if this is Germans, but I went back a few pages on both threads and didn't see anything.

http://m.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-planning-World-Series-trophy-tour-12360730.php

If this happens (SA) I will be there! Money quote from Reid Ryan: "We want to make sure we get out and get to take it to those communities as well because they're all part of our fan base."

PS - Got this baby in last week. Absolutely love it!

byfLuger41
Beau Bevers
AG
The real question for the off season:

Is a World Championship enough to get the nearest MLB club's games on local radio in Bryan-College Station? It's beyond stupid that the team from South Oklahoma is the only club on the radio in an Astros town.
Kashchei
AG
Hell, even Madisonville gets the Astros
W
AG
it would still be. Can't have one guy making $30 MM year in and year out for that many years. The Astros are not the Yankees or Red Sox payroll-wise
Ag_07
AG
W said:

The Astros are not the Yankees or Red Sox payroll-wise

Not now, but if they want any of Altuve, Correa, and Springer around for any amount of time they're going to have to be.

And I expect they eventually will.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

it would still be. Can't have one guy making $30 MM year in and year out for that many years. The Astros are not the Yankees or Red Sox payroll-wise
If we couldn't play an MVP player producing at an MVP level 30 M then we won't stand much a chance winning any more titles after 2019.
Agnzona
Has there been any talk about how much money the playoffs brought in and how much the franchises value has increased as a result of winning?
BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

W said:

Not now, but if they want any of Altuve, Correa, and Springer around for any amount of time they're going to have to be.

You should start preparing yourself for those 3 guys not all singing long term deals with the Astros.

I'd be very surprised if Springer remains with the Astros.
BowSowy
AG
I would love Springer to stay here his whole career but he's the most expendable of the three. If losing Spring means keeping Altuve and Correa, I would be okay with that.
Farmer1906
AG
BowSowy said:

I would love Springer to stay here his whole career but he's the most expendable of the three. If losing Spring means keeping Altuve and Correa, I would be okay with that.
We'd lose Springer before there would be any decision on Correa.
BowSowy
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BowSowy said:

Obviously. But having Springer tied up at a high salary might impact our ability to go big on Correa.
Farmer1906
AG
BowSowy said:

Farmer1906 said:

BowSowy said:

Obviously. But having Springer tied up at a high salary might impact our ability to go big on Correa.
Or letting him go might make Correa think we're no longer committed to winning.

Who knows.
Ag_07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Ag_07 said:

W said:

You should start preparing yourself for those 3 guys not all singing long term deals with the Astros.

I'd be very surprised if Springer remains with the Astros.

Oh no doubt. I don't expect all three to be around forever. And I agree that George is the most likely to go.

However, even if we want 2 of the 3 to stick around it's gonna take a Yankee like payroll.

And with Crane's comments lately and the taste of winning this WS has given everyone I think we'll shell out the big bucks to make it happen.
BMX Bandit
Farmer1906 said:

BowSowy said:

Farmer1906 said:

BowSowy said:

Or letting him go might make Correa think we're no longer committed to winning.

Who knows.

Not going to happen like that.
gougler08
AG
To play Devil's Advocate, do we want to keep Springer long term? You have the ready made replacement with Kyle Tucker and Springer will be 29 next season...if you have to sign him to a long term deal to keep him, is it worth it?
JDUB08AG
AG
I think Springers performance next year will answer at least some of these questions.
iBrad
AG
This is why it's key to maintain a quality farm system and not ship off your top prospects every trade deadline. In today's game, you just aren't going to keep all of your stars. You have to be able to reload, which means you have to keep enough talent in the system to hit on the ones that pan out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.