Astros offseason thread

343,283 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would trade Bregs & Appel for Bryant & Benintendi in a heartbeat.
JDUB08AG
AG
Playing hypotheticals is fun, but it reminds me how many things have to come together to win a WS. We were a random McCann solo shot away from going back to LA down 3-2.
tjack16
AG
WelchAg said:

Playing hypotheticals is fun, but it reminds me how many things have to come together to win a WS. We were a random McCann solo shot away from going back to LA down 3-2.
or a random Beltran double away from Game 5 of the ALDS
Ag_07
AG
I don't think playing hypotheticals are fun. Y'all are going down some rabbit holes that are just not worth it.

We won a WS and setup to make a run at another with the players we drafted so I'm not even gonna start second guessing.
NotGibbs
Farmer1906 said:

I would trade Bregs & Appel for Bryant & Benintendi in a heartbeat.

Of course. But I really don't think they would've drafted 2 outfielders. I imagine they would've drafted a pitcher, and I just went through where those guys stand.

It's easy to look at things after the draft and say well we would have taken him, and he's great now. You need to look at who we had, and what we needed.
Mathguy64
AG
Playing "what if..." with baseball drafts is worthless. Even pro teams with millions of dollars and all the expertise and knowledge cannot hit draft picks with any degree of regularity or success.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Playing "what if..." with baseball drafts is worthless. Even pro teams with millions of dollars and all the expertise and knowledge cannot hit draft picks with any degree of regularity or success.
But we're not really doing that. We're really just looking at one pick. A lot of people thought Bryant should have gone one. It isn't any kind of a big stretch to think what if we had him instead of Appel.
NotGibbs
mathguy86 said:

I 100% agree with this. I'm just playing along so I don't have to actually do work at work
NotGibbs
Also, I just realized spring training starts this month.

Offseason sure does go by quicker when you win championships
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

But we're not really doing that. We're really just looking at one pick. A lot of people thought Bryant should have gone one. It isn't any kind of a big stretch to think what if we had him instead of Appel.
I'm suggesting even that isnt realistic. The MLB draft is littered over the years with first round busts. And I mean actual grade A never made it to the majors level busts. Followed by guys drafted later who are all stars.

Brien Taylor comes to mind at the top of the list. The Yankees drafted him numero uno back in '91. And he was a big time bust.

The Padres drafted some dude named Matt Bush number 1. Clank. The guy picked number 2 by the Tigers? Mr. Justin Verlander.
DrZ
AG
The year before the Astros picked him #1 the Pirates picked him 8th overall. He was considered a cant miss guy.
He is a great guy from a great family.
The Bleacher Report article said he is only the third #1 overall guy not to make to the majors. As hard as drafting is in baseball this surprised me.
Ag_07
AG

This tweet and the story make me think his shortcomings were a result of what was going on between his ears. Just seems like he wasn't ever really mentally cut out to be 'the guy'.
gigemJTH12
AG
damn bregs

Bobcat-Ag
gigemJTH12 said:

damn bregs

That right there is intangibles!!!
astros4545
AG
It's gone. What was it
TXAggie2011
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

damn bregs

I know he probably was trying to be inspirational, but he didn't need to take a public shot at Mark Appel.
gigemJTH12
AG
he quoted the article about Appel and tagged his bro and basically said "dont ever give up and throw in the towel like this"
AustinCountyAg
**** I love Bregman....the Johnny Football of the Astros. I'm glad someone has the balls to tell it like it is
JJxvi
AG
Ag_07 said:

This tweet and the story make me think his shortcomings were a result of what was going on between his ears. Just seems like he wasn't ever really mentally cut out to be 'the guy'.
Yes. He didn't have the "makeup" in the end. Or put another way, supposedly in the terms of an Astros minor league instructor...he was a *****.
DrZ
AG
JJ
Who was the coach that said this? I have never seen a negative word on Mark from a teammate, coach or competitor. Not saying he didnt say it just never seen it.
He is 26 with $6MM in the bank and a degree from Stanford.
I think he will be okay.
He tried at MLB and failed. Only criticized by people that never tried.
Professional sports is hard.
TXAggie2011
AG
It sounds like Mark Appell is going to go get his MBA, probably from a pretty elite program.

He's battled injuries and tried to make it work for 5 years. He's moving on to another challenge and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
Bobcat-Ag
TXAggie2011 said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

damn bregs

I know he probably was trying to be inspirational, but he didn't need to take a public shot at Mark Appel.
I understand what you are saying. I just think that the comment shows why Bregman will be really good. He has lots of talent, however he has even more of a desire to be the best. I'm glad he is on the team even if he hits send a little bit too quickly sometimes.
W
AG
sometimes the scouting report is right. And there was major concern about his going back to Stanford for his senior year (i.e. too much mileage on the tires already).

down the road it may throw up a red flag for teams when a highly draft junior (let's say top 3 rounds) goes back for his senior year. A possible indication that baseball is not #1 in his life. Doesn't eat, sleep, and drink it all day
W
AG
and regarding Kris Bryant...he needs a back bounce year in 2018

a paltry 73 RBI last season despite playing in 151 games and logging 665 plate appearances.

20 of his 29 homers were solo shots
rosco511
AG
RBIs are the worst stat in baseball. He has an OPS+ of 143 last year as compared to 146 the year before, his MVP year. He is still really good and does not need a bounce back.
Farmer1906
AG
He finished 7th in the MVP.
.399 wOBA
146 wRC+
He damn near had a 7 WAR
texasaggie2015
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

It sounds like Mark Appell is going to go get his MBA, probably from a pretty elite program.

He's battled injuries and tried to make it work for 5 years. He's moving on to another challenge and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I'm guessing he'll end up back at Stanford, since the Appel doesn't fall far from the tree.
Mr.Ackar07
texasaggie2015 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I'm guessing he'll end up back at Stanford, since the Appel doesn't fall far from the tree.
CSWendt
rosco511 said:

RBIs are the worst stat in baseball. He has an OPS+ of 143 last year as compared to 146 the year before, his MVP year. He is still really good and does not need a bounce back.

I disagree. Would I rather have a guy who drives in 100 every year with a low OPS, or a guy with a high OPS but drives in 70. I take the RBI's. Cause at the end of the day, who gives a dump what your stats are if you can't get guys home/or get home.

I understand taking RBI's from one year can be misleading to how a guy performed. But when looking at multiple years I value RBI's.
Farmer1906
AG
CSWendt said:

rosco511 said:

I disagree. Would I rather have a guy who drives in 100 every year with a low OPS, or a guy with a high OPS but drives in 70. I take the RBI's. Cause at the end of the day, who gives a dump what your stats are if you can't get guys home/or get home.

I understand taking RBI's from one year can be misleading to how a guy performed. But when looking at multiple years I value RBI's.

So you're saying you'd take a season of Mazara at 101 RBIs with a .745 OPS over Bryant's season of only 70 RBIs but had an OPS of .946.
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't think RBI is the worst stat in baseball. It's a quick and easy way to identify you have lineup problems.

That Kris Bryant only has 70 RBI with .960 OPS should be a huuuuge red flag that a lot of Kris Bryant's talent was being wasted...I.e. they need to get someone in the lineup in front of him that will get on base more.

It is not a red flag that Kris Bryant himself is performing poorly.
Farmer1906
AG
Also keep in mind Bryant hit in the 2 hole not 3rd or clean up.
Thriller
AG
Cubs had 11 different leadoff hitters last year. They could not figure that spot out.
CSWendt
Not necessarily. Like I said, looking at 1 year alone is never good. But if you told me Mazara had those stats for 3-4 years and so did Bryant then I would take Mazara.

You'd be surprised how many RBI opportunities a guy has. A low total could be in part because of lack of players on base. But it also can be due to a players inability to get guys home in the clutch or on 3rd with less than 2 outs. Again, this is why I say multiple years is a better indicator
Thriller
AG
Albert Pujols says hello

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.