Astros offseason thread

337,152 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WES2006AG said:

Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

Well, this just got interesting. MLB made changes to the mound visit policy.

I can understand for a break in play from the dugout as a visit, but another position player. That's messed up.
I disagree. If you can't communicate with signs you risk the consequences. They had to put a stop to the catcher going out after almost every pitch like we saw throughout the playoffs.
What if the other team is stealing signs with means other than having a runner on second?
astros4545
AG
Then come up with better signs than 1=fastball, 2=curve
bullard21k
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm good with it. And I don't think McCann was too bad at this. He's far from the worst.

I'm interested if it will actually work. I mean how hard is it to fake a "cross up" and get an ump approved mound visit?

That's the worst part about mound visits. I get it for discussing strategy between batters but if you get crossed up and can't get your ish together then you should pay the price. I hate letting pitchers off the hook because they get crossed up.

They are definitely teams and catchers worse no doubt, but McCann had some games in the ALCS in particular where it felt like he went out there 10+ times. Even the radio broadcast team was kidding with him after the series if he needed to make a mound visit during his post game questions.

I'm sure they will have to tweak things but I think mlb realized they at least had to do something. I'm also curious how they enforce this
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Then come up with better signs than 1=fastball, 2=curve
Ag_07
AG
astros4545 said:

I don't think faking a cross up and throwing a ball/wild pitch is worth the mound visit

I interpreted the rules as a cross meaning multiple shake offs and not being able to get on the right page. Not necessarily after a pitch is actually thrown.

Could be wrong though - **And I am. I see now where it says after a pitch.**

And yes McCann got worse during the playoffs but intensity ramps up and high leverage situations increase in the playoffs. Especially in the ALCS and WS that are 7 games.
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

What is the penalty if the catcher visits the mound anyway when they have exhausted all of the visits already?
The penalty is a forced pitching change. You get 6 total visits per game now. And you still have the limit of 2 coach visits per inning. The new rule is superimposed on the old. Once you hit 6 you can either not make another visit or change a pitcher.
W
AG
quick google search...

McCann made a whopping 12 mound visits in the first 6 innings of game 7 of the WS. That's a lot.

it was probably a similar amount during game 5
n_touch
W said:

quick google search...

McCann made a whopping 12 mound visits in the first 6 innings of game 7 of the WS. That's a lot.

it was probably a similar amount during game 5

How many did they make? Makes sense during a game 7, especially on the road
college of AG
AG
All for this during the regular season, crowd noise isn't usually a factor and every pitch isn't magnified.

I sincerely hope this doesn't fall over into the postseason.
CoachRTM
AG
JD Martinez to Boston.

AL looking pretty strong at the top
Frok
AG
Good move to limit mound visits. Look at it as you get 6 timeouts.

agproducer
AG
I decided to finally grab a Springer orange WS jersey. Fansedge has many of the jerseys marked down until midnight tonight. White Altuve WS jerseys are $80. Just letting you boys know.
astros4545
AG
I ordered Jerseys from Alibaba at thanksgiving

Nothing received so far
agproducer
AG
astros4545 said:

Nothing received so far
I thought about going with aliexpress or bonanza. I may do that for an altuve knockoff.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

I decided to finally grab a Springer orange WS jersey. Fansedge has many of the jerseys marked down until midnight tonight. White Altuve WS jerseys are $80. Just letting you boys know.

How did you miss the Dicks $9.95 special?

I have a blue McCullers, orange Springer, and white Altuve.
AstroAggie15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

Care to share, daddy?
Farmer1906
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

Care to share, daddy?
I did. Pretty much everyone in my family has one now. Mom, Dad, Sister, Wife, Uncle, etc
CFTXAG10
AG
agproducer said:

astros4545 said:

Nothing received so far
I thought about going with aliexpress or bonanza. I may do that for an altuve knockoff.

I don't know the username on Ali, I'll see if I can find it but I ordered a Correa orange cool base and an Altuve throwback. The Correa was decent but the Altuve was pretty bada**. Not bad for $20/each
agproducer
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

agproducer said:

astros4545 said:

Nothing received so far

I don't know the username on Ali, I'll see if I can find it but I ordered a Correa orange cool base and an Altuve throwback. The Correa was decent but the Altuve was pretty bada**. Not bad for $20/each

If you could find that user name, let me know. I wouldn't mind grabbing an Altuve and maybe a Correa. I'd love one with all the patches.
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

Nice pull. Unfortunately, I was a couple hours late to the party. They'd pulled it down by the time I got there.
spadilly
S
Mathguy64
AG
I read in an article today (I think espn but don't remember exactly) that Buster Posey argued for electronic comminucation between P and C. He said that would solve any sign stealing and communication issue and stop the mound visits. He claims players would go for that.
WES2006AG
AG
mathguy86 said:

I read in an article today (I think espn but don't remember exactly) that Buster Posey argued for electronic comminucation between P and C. He said that would solve any sign stealing and communication issue and stop the mound visits. He claims players would go for that.
This just sounds odd. Are they both wearing headsets?
Mr.Ackar07
WES2006AG said:

mathguy86 said:

Just need a small blue tooth device. That could easily be built into a catcher's mask. College has added electronic communication between the coach and catcher this year.
astros4545
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

WES2006AG said:

mathguy86 said:

Just need a small blue tooth device. That could easily be built into a catcher's mask. College has added electronic communication between the coach and catcher this year.

I could see this working well in a quiet ball park, like the one in Arlington

But would be too loud in the juice box
BMX Bandit
the rule alllows for additional visits if catcher and pitcher are truly getting crossed up.

I'll put the over/under on "additional injuries this year due to new mound rules" at 1.5

zgood10
AG
McCullers went off on Twitter this morning about the new rules

Ag_07
AG
You forgot the best one

zgood10
AG
Ag_07 said:

You forgot the best one

Yeah that was the first of 'em. He's en fuego
MelvinUdall
This is a dumb change, I prefer a pitch clock than this piece of garbage.
W
AG
this is where baseball players are acting like the stereotype of dumb baseball players.

the commissioner understands that his product is entertainment...and that MLB is competing against all the other sports and entertainment outlets for eyeballs, ratings, viewership, time slots, clicks, etc..,.

changes are needed to get the average game into a crisp 3-hour window. Let's give this a try and see how it goes
AgFan1999
AG
OK. Time to add to the jersey collection. Ideas?

Keuchel?
Bregman?
McCullers?
Charlie Freakin' Morton?
Correa?
Altuve?
astros4545
AG
Yah, I think MLB players need to learn how to adjust

I refuse to believe that sign stealing is as rampant as they want to believe, although I do believe fake sign stealing exists

Maybe location stealing is the main thing happening, but players need to evolve, unless they are content making less money in the future
CFTXAG10
AG
agproducer said:

CFTXAG10 said:

agproducer said:

astros4545 said:

Nothing received so far

If you could find that user name, let me know. I wouldn't mind grabbing an Altuve and maybe a Correa. I'd love one with all the patches.
Found my receipt but it didn't have the shop/user name. Ordered the Altuve jersey below and it came out damn near perfect. I compared the orange Correa cool base to an authentic cool base that I have and it has some noticeable differences but I am not complaining at that price. Just expect to wait about a month or so to get your order.

CSWendt
The MLB really just needs to crack down on sign stealing through technology. That's why players are so paranoid today. They are afraid signs are being stolen by technology. If MLB cracks down on technology then teams have to steal signs the old fashioned way, just like they used to. Which should lead to a reduced amount of mound visits.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.