Astros offseason thread

343,278 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have no idea what McHugh & Gattis would fetch in a trade. I think we can afford to lose McHugh. We have our 5 man rotation plus Peacock, Martes, and Paulino as fill ins for injuries. Whitley & JB are probably a year away, but maybe even give Armenteros a shot.

iBrad
AG
Gattis is 31 with only one season of team control left. He's an average catcher at best that doesn't really fit anywhere else defensively. His DH numbers over his career aren't great, either. Staying healthy is also a concern. In short, I don't think he has a lot of trade value.

McHugh has two controllable years left and could easily slot as the number 4 or 5 starter on a lot of teams, and even number 3 on some. I would have to think there's some interest in him. But instead of trying to increase the return on him, maybe you take a little less by throwing Sipp into the deal. That would clear $11M and open up two spots on the big league club. I'd think that's worth a top-30 ish A-ball prospect.
gigemJTH12
AG
#Cole45...hell yeah!
irish pete ag06
AG
Buddy of mine emailed this...

26% of the Astros starts in a season they won 100 games were made by Fiers and Musgrove. Those 2 will essentially be replaced by Gerrit Cole and Collin McHugh.
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

26% of the Astros starts in a season they won 100 games were made by Fiers and Musgrove. Those 2 will essentially be replaced by Gerrit Cole and Collin McHugh.
Let's take it a step farther.

Our rotation of Morton, Keuchel, McCullers, and Verlander had 75 starts (46%).

You put Verlander (32), Keuchel (27), & Cole (26) back at their career averages (leaving McCullers last years # since he's always hurt & Morton because he stayed mostly healthy) then we're looking at 132 starts for our normal rotation. That's 57 more games with our best. That leaves 30 games between McHugh, Martes, Paulino, and maybe Peacock (I kind of hope they leave him in the pen).

If our offense can keep up to last year (may be difficult) it's not hard to imagine we win 100 games again this year. Without trying to drink too much kool aid, I don't think it's unfair to maybe even improve on an already great regular season.
iBrad
AG
I was wondering about our chances to have five starters win 15+ games. The '98 Braves were the last to do it. If they can all stay healthy, it might be doable, but I'd say it's highly unlikely, especially given McCullers' history.

2017 Win Totals
Verlander 15
Keuchel 14
Morton 14
Cole 11
McCullers 7

You'd have to think Verlander and Cole will see a boost to their totals with more run support. Keuchel and Morton could easily get there if they stay healthy. It's McCullers that seems unlikely, given his past.
Marvin
AG
McHugh just seems like too great of an insurance policy to trade. He and Peacock almost mirror Marwin with their flexibility and value. If the other starters stay healthy and pitch well, the team could always package McHugh at the trade deadline for a hole filler, perhaps.
shano0603
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Cole's number assignment is 45?

He will be known as Cole .45!
How many Zig Zags?
Bulldog73
AG
Uh, two of course.
BTKAG97
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Season tickets are over 20k so far.
That's almost half the stadium!
jja79
AG
I know someone who bought four 2018 season tickets during the WS promotion, sold 2 of the tickets to the WS for each game for enough to pay for the 4 season tickets.
tjack16
AG
I gotta say it was nice being able to buy cheap $10 upper deck tickets the past two seasons and then sneaking down to sit by the dugouts... I'm guessing that'll be harder to do with bigger crowds this year.
Farmer1906
AG

So hype
Blahhead
irish pete ag06 said:

Fiers was bad most of the time, but during the stretch we leaned on him, he was actually on Fiers.
WES2006AG
AG
tjholley17 said:

I gotta say it was nice being able to buy cheap $10 upper deck tickets the past two seasons and then sneaking down to sit by the dugouts... I'm guessing that'll be harder to do with bigger crowds this year.

It will be harder because the stadium will likely be a lot more full most nights but 20k season ticket holders will also mean a lot of cheap tickets on the secondary market, especially for weeknight games.
W
AG
yep, weeknight games while school is in session...will be the time to make hay

(i.e. go to a lot of games below or at face value)
Frok
AG
tjholley17 said:

The price of winning. It's good for the team
Ag13
AG
tjholley17 said:

I'm sure this will still be easy for most midweek games
Texan1976
bullard21k said:

I think Gonzalez, hosmer or moustakas would all be good additions if we can snag them for a 1 or 2 year deal.

Let them platoon at DH with gattis and marwin, Fisher etc. The royals FA i would think might be a little more attractive bc they play a position more of need specifically 1B. Basically taking on the Beltran role but they can actually play the field at a non OF long jammed position.
Gonzalez has a career 72 OPS + away from Coors Field. Hard pass on him. I think those other guys will get longer deals. I would sit tight and let Fisher and Marisnick get those OF bats. Get a bat if needed at the deadline.
shano0603
AG
Does anyone have any desire to sign Bautista to a 1-year deal, just to piss off the Ranger fans?
iBrad
AG
No. I'd rather have Gose pan out as a lefty reliever and screw them over for not adding him to their 40-man roster.
Farmer1906
AG
Pass. Winning the division by another 20+ games will be plenty effective.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Guys... we just won the damn World Series... c ant we all just get along?

I can't wait for the season to start.
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Mr. the world is ending when there is a leadoff 4 pitch walk in the 3rd when we're up 2?

I see you.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Mr. the world is ending when there is a leadoff 4 pitch walk in the 3rd when we're up 2?

I see you.

To be fair, that was completely unacceptable.

Also, that was before we won the whole damn thing...
BowSowy
AG
I think we won't see the stros in on talks for Moustakus, Hosmer, or any of the other big name FAs. We got our guy with Cole and we might add some more small pieces, but I think our team is largely set for next year.
gougler08
AG
So you aren't going to complain about something like this in the 2018 season? I mean we are the defending champs after all...
gougler08
AG
BowSowy said:

I think we won't see the stros in on talks for Moustakus, Hosmer, or any of the other big name FAs. We got our guy with Cole and we might add some more small pieces, but I think our team is largely set for next year.
I agree, and why would we? Here's our lineup and pitching (in some order TBD):

Verlander
Keuchel
Cole
McCullers
Morton

Springer - CF
Bregman - 3B
Altuve - 2B
Correa - SS
Gurriel - 1B
Reddick - RF
Gattis - DH
Marisnick - LF
McCann - C
Marwin - All of the Above

There are approximately 0 teams with a better all around team than that. It of course doesn't mean we are guaranteed to repeat, but that team is ridiculous
CSWendt
I still think this team needs to add a reliever. If it weren't for peacock, McCullers, and Morton pitching out of their minds for long stretches in the playoffs then we would be talking about how bad our bullpen was down the stretch. You can't take last post season success for granted. We have to have more confidence in those guys. Even with Smith and Rondon I think we need one more legit arm.
BarryProfit
CSWendt said:

I still think this team needs to add a reliever. If it weren't for peacock, McCullers, and Morton pitching out of their minds for long stretches in the playoffs then we would be talking about how bad our bullpen was down the stretch. You can't take last post season success for granted. We have to have more confidence in those guys. Even with Smith and Rondon I think we need one more legit arm.

Agreed - but it needn't happen before the season starts.
Ag_07
AG
Tony Watson would make a lot of sense

He wasn't on the top of the list at the beginning of the off-season but right now I think he'd be a nice addition.
bullard21k
AG
Nm
Farmer1906
AG
Watson would be great.
BowSowy
AG
BarryProfit said:

CSWendt said:

Agreed - but it needn't happen before the season starts.
I'm not sure I totally agree with this. We were able to pitch LMJ, Morton, and Peacock in the pen because we added Verlander to the rotation. Now we have added Cole and a lot of the discussion here has been about how many starters we have.

I think this team is built to make the playoffs again with relative ease. When we get to the playoffs and roll out a 1-2-3 of Keuchel, Verlander, and Cole with one of McHugh/McCullers/Morton/Peacock grabbing the 4th starter spot, you have a bunch of excellent pitchers who are available out of the pen. Would I like to add a stud reliever? Of course, but I think this team is set up even better to have unconventional pitchers pitching in reliever roles in October.
CSWendt
I just think it's not a sound strategy to count on starters dominating in relief. Did it work? Yes. Could it work again? Yes. I'm sure Hinch will deploy part of that strategy again this year. But games 2 and 5 easily could have been won by the Dodgers because of our lack of a bullpen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.