Astros offseason thread

337,118 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
CSWendt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm betting the Astros locked into a 30M type deal for the future because they are expecting the top level players to go for much higher than that. Lunhow probably has some insight that guys like Harper will create a new pay standard for MVP level guys
Ag_07
AG
Just like some of the trades he's done Lunhow likes to be the one to set the market. He's not one to sit back let others set the going rate and fall in line.

He knows what he wants and he knows what he is willing to pay for it. This reflects that thinking. He wasn't going to let Harper and Machado set the market at more than was willing to pay Altuve.

Oh yeah...He's also pretty fackin smart!
BowSowy
AG
bullard21k said:

bullard21k said:

Just going off memory here can somebody check me:

Keuchel and marwin contracts are up first.
Then altuve was next
Then springer the next year
Then Correa the following year
Bregman after that

Anyone know if this order is correct?

I think that order is correct
bullard21k
AG
BowSowy said:

bullard21k said:

bullard21k said:

Just going off memory here can somebody check me:

Keuchel and marwin contracts are up first.
Then altuve was next
Then springer the next year
Then Correa the following year
Bregman after that

Anyone know if this order is correct?

I think that order is correct

We have all pretty much chimed in on this but unless Dallas takes a reduced contract I just don't see any way we resign him. We just have too many massive contracts that are on the horizon to warrant doing it on top of the age etc we've all discussed

I think we are going to be willing to let Dallas and springer walk and try to ink Correa and bregman early. (Although I think there is a slim shot Carlos doesn't hit the FA market to see what type of ludicrous deals some club will make)
AgFan1999
AG
Verlander's and Reddick's contracts will be off the books when Springer is up for a new contract. That's 33 million a year to play with there if you want to try to keep Springer and/or Correa.
BMX Bandit
Even with 3 years of arbitration ahead, would likely take over $25mm a year to sign Correa at this point. Once he hits FA, can't even imagine
astros4545
AG
AgFan1999 said:

Verlander's and Reddick's contracts will be off the books when Springer is up for a new contract. That's 33 million a year to play with there if you want to try to keep Springer and/or Correa.

I thought Reddick was a 4 year deal
iBrad
AG
It was. He and Springer will both hit free agency in 21.
astros4545
AG
But I thought we only have springer 2 more years after buying out the rest of his arbitration
iBrad
AG
He'll be in arbitration again in 2020. He was designated super two, so he hit arbitration a year early and has four arbitration years (17-20).
W
AG
Luhnow did a good job with Altuve's deal.

as others have mentioned...by the time it kicks in Verlanders's and McCann's contracts will be gone. And Reddick's and Yuli's contracts will only have 1 year left.

I agree that Altuve's contract increases the likelihood that Keuchel is headed elsewhere after 2018 and probably Marwin too.

will be really interesting to see what the 'stros do with Springer down the road. Especially if Correa, Bregman, and Tucker continue to improve each year
Agnzona
If the Astros keep contending I think it will be much easier to attack pitchers in that 27-28 year old range entering their primes.
agdaddy04
AG
The way it's going we'll have pitchers begging to play here.
Mathguy64
AG
No no. You don't understand. We won't be able to resign any of these FAs. We will be back on the 100 loss train in 2 years after this window closes. We could never afford any of these players in the first place and tanking for 3 years was a horrible decision. Says every rangers fan ever born.
agdaddy04
AG
I know it's just spring training, but how badass is it to come from down 6-0 in the 9th and tie it?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
And all with two outs
TREX01
With not one player that will be on the opening day roster
n_touch
Not to derail the thread. I had a request for a plaque so if anyone else would like to order one let me know. They are easier to do in bunches. Just shoot me a PM.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Price?
Farmer1906
AG
Bulldog73
AG
I love that Cole is our 4 and that our 5 has the best pure stuff of the rotation.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Mlbtraderumors:

The Astros may head into the season with an all-righty bullpen, thanks to the struggles left-hander Tony Sipp has endured in recent years, Oliver Macklin of MLB.com relays. Sipp, whom the Astros re-signed to a three-year, $18MM deal heading into 2016, posted back-to-back subpar seasons entering this year and hasn't fared well this spring. Manager A.J. Hinch conceded that going with an all-righty relief corps is "an option," though he suggested he'd rather see Sipp rebound to his pre-2016 ways. Sipp, who'll turn 35 in July, is due to earn $6MM in the final year of his contract.
Ag_07
AG
Tony Sipp and the lack of a backup plan are the only blemishs on Lunhows tenure so far.
PETE2019
AG
Ag_07 said:

Tony Sipp and the lack of a backup plan are the only blemishs on Lunhows tenure so far.

I also like to forget that Carlos Gomez was ever an Astro
W
AG
and the Singleton contract
Ag_07
AG
Oh i didn't forget.

I still contend we didn't give up much to get him and he was only a thorn in our side for only 2 half seasons.
BowSowy
AG
This may be me trying to polish a turd, but that Gomez trade brought us Fiers who was not great but was outstanding when our starters went down last year.
gougler08
AG
W said:

I feel like the Singleton contract was great. If he ended up good then we had him cheap for a few years and If he sucked then we cut him. Win/win
irish pete ag06
AG
gougler08 said:

W said:

I feel like the Singleton contract was great. If he ended up good then we had him cheap for a few years and If he sucked then we cut him. Win/win

Exactly. And he got some money to buy some dope with. Very nice.
Thriller
AG
With the caveat that it is only spring, Correa has 0 XBH thus far.
Farmer1906
AG
0.0000001% worried about it.
iBrad
AG
W said:

The Altuve contract makes up for it. We're paying one of the best players in the game $12.5M these next two years. You win some, you lose some.
Basketball and Chain
AG
More info on Altuve's extension from mlbtraderumors:

" Altuve has passed a physical and the deal is now official, Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports (Twitter links). Of the $151MM total, $21MM will come in the form of a signing bonus $1MM upon final approval of the contract, $10MM later this season and $10MM in 2019."

So during the extension years, it'll be 5/130.
Kashchei
AG
Why do we have to start off the season AT Texas? Playing a 4 game series against a dumpy team in a dumpy park. I guess Texas will just get their beating early this year...
JDUB08AG
AG
Kashchei said:

Why do we have to start off the season AT Texas? Playing a 4 game series against a dumpy team in a dumpy park. I guess Texas will just get their beating early this year...

Anytime they are forced to be reminded of being one strike away is always a good thing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.