Astros offseason thread

343,270 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and while McCann didn't have a great year offensively, he does take his walks.

drew 38 walks in 399 plate appearances. So his OBP was 80 points higher than his BA
CFTXAG10
AG
rosco511
AG
iBrad said:

I like Gattis a lot, but you can't make baseball decisions based on feelings. With McCann declining, we need someone to take the load off of him behind the plate. Gattis is not a very good catcher, and his durability is also a question mark.

He's also been a terrible DH. His career slash line as a DH: .236/.286/.424, which is just a tick above what we got from Beltran last year. We could easily go out and get someone to improve our DH performance. Or if you want to save that money to use on the bullpen, we've got internal options like Moran and Fisher, or even Marwin if you want Fisher in the outfield more.

It would be tough to see him go, but Gattis just doesn't have a good fit on this team.

Very good analysis here and completely agree. I think the Astros are largely going to employ a Patriots type approach/model. They will set a price/value for players and expected benefits from the various roster spots and will not be afraid to move on from a player when they no longer provide the desired benefits for the roster spot or significantly exceed the set price point, even if such player does still provide value in general.
Ag_07
AG
Dear God please make this happen

Quote:

With the deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players looming, Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros will "surely attempt to trade" right-hander Mike Fiers between now and that 8pm ET deadline on Friday.

screw-tu
To be fair, Fiers pulled some great pitching out of his ass when Keuchel & McCullers went down. He actually had a big hand in keeping us rolling. But yes, we can thank him for his service and send him down the road.
titanmaster_race
JJxvi said:

I would assume they are already looking at spending for someone else they like better at DH if they let Gattis go. Especially with also losing Centeno.

WE'RE GETTING STANTON???
screw-tu
Astros the new Sox/Yanks
512Ag
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BcJRX0TDPsL

Oh hi, Julia.
bearkatag15
AG
I want to star that 1,000 times
Ag_07
AG
AggieDem said:

Oh hi, Julia.

Mr.Ackar07
Because it needs more than 1
WES2006AG
AG
Never been on her Instagram before. Guess my next hour won't be as productive as originally planned.
Mathguy64
AG
That video should be POTD. It wont be bebause there is no justice in the world, but by God it should be.

Blue parachutes all around.
AstroAggie15
AG
Giggidy
n_touch
You know Orbit has that on replay at home
Mr.Ackar07
n_touch said:

You know Alan Ashby has that on replay at home
FIFY
bigbass1170
AG
mathguy86 said:

That video should be POTD. It wont be bebause there is no justice in the world, but by God it should be.

Blue parachutes all around.
Thank you, thank you for saying this was a video. I didn't hover over the image and thought it was just a picture.
screw-tu
AggieDem said:

Oh hi, Julia.
n_touch
What was the view count before it was posted here?
Andyzipp
AG
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/astros-to-aggressively-pursue-japanese-star-shohei-ohtani
Javelina
AG
Mr.Ackar07
Quote:

As aggressive as the rules will allow us.
So a $300,000 signing bonus and league minimum.
CFTXAG10
AG
JABQ04
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I still get all smiley and tingly watching that!
screw-tu
CFTXAG10 said:

NEVER gets old, and NEVER WILL!
Bulldog73
AG
Before the tweet loaded, I wasn't sure you were talking about the clinching out video or that of Julia dancing.
Ag_07
AG
Has Fiers sorry ass officially not been tendered?
NotGibbs
Rangers' AJ Griffin has been non tendered. I'd keep an eye on him. Astros front office likes cheap guys with skill sets like his
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mathguy64
AG
Dear Mike,

Thanks for that 6-7 week stretch. Major props. Enjoy the ring. We are happy to provide letters of recommendation at your request; in fact we hear the Rangers are looking for help if you want to stay in state. Their GM and I are on great terms. You and Fister will hit it off in Arlington.

Regards,

Jeff L.

tremble
AG
Best of luck to Mike. He had some great moments here in Houston, the no-hitter, carrying the staff for a couple months this year to get us to the top 2 seeds, etc. Glad he's getting a ring.
gambochaman
AG
Dear God i did not know Julia could do that
She just went from a 10 to a 276272752782726362910926352625422552525262267762
astros4545
AG
Owner Jim Crane says the #Astros will "aggressively" pursue Japanese star Shohei Ohtani: "As aggressive as the rules will allow...He's going to land in one of the big markets, and we have as good a chance as anybody because we're a good team."

Seriously, what is a realistic expectation for this guy, will he really play both ways
NotGibbs
astros4545 said:

Owner Jim Crane says the #Astros will "aggressively" pursue Japanese star Shohei Ohtani: "As aggressive as the rules will allow...He's going to land in one of the big markets, and we have as good a chance as anybody because we're a good team."

Seriously, what is a realistic expectation for this guy, will he really play both ways

Always hard to tell. Park (who came over I believe 2 years ago) was supposed to be big time, never amounted to much, and is giving up a lot of MLB contract money to go back home and play.

On that note, Ohtani is supposed to be about as good as they come from outside of the US. Perennial all star caliber per what he's done in Asia, and he can hit and pitch if one area slumps
NotGibbs
But I don't think there's a shot in hell he ends up in Houston

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.