Astros offseason thread

343,825 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
should start seeing some free agent signings next week
Ag_07
AG
I hope so. I know we're not supposed to be big players, but this hot stove season overall is boring as hell.

Need Stanton and Ohtani to find homes.
W
AG
yes, I checked. Reddick had already signed with the 'stros by this time last year and the McCann trade had been made as well
shelbys99
Astros placed C Centeno on waivers...

Trying to slide him by since 40-man rosters are set for the rule-5 draft
CFTXAG10
AG
WES2006AG
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

That is a big chunk of change for some of the younger guys.
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

agdaddy04
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Just heard this. Not sure what to think.
NotGibbs
Ag_07
AG
I'm not mad.

I can think of maybe 2 times Centeno made significant contributions. There wasn't that big a gap between him and Stassi.

If the Rangers want him they can have him. He's just another scrap on their pile of our burnouts and leftovers.
Prosperdick
AG
Somebody had to replace Lucroy's production...
CoachRTM
AG
Probably more of a "mental" signing than a "physical" one.

Meaning, if they bring him in, they get insight as to how the Astros worked from the inside, maybe learn some tips on pitchers, etc.
agdaddy04
AG
He does have intimate knowledge of our staff though.
Mathguy64
AG
agdaddy04 said:

If Juan Centano had that kind of value he would never have been exposed off the 40-man.
Bonfired
AG
WES2006AG said:

CFTXAG10 said:

That is a big chunk of change for some of the younger guys.

That's about 80% of Correa's 2017 salary...granted, he had the big signing bonus (almost 5MM), but still...he and Bregman salary-wise made peanuts this past year.
Mathguy64
AG
And besides, they will need someone to "fix" Fister's crappy repertoire.
Ag_07
AG
agdaddy04 said:

He doesn't have anymore knowledge than Gomez does.

That's not even a slight worry for me. If they wanna take up 40 man roster spots for that amount of info he has then I say let em. That's even dumber than signing him thinking he'll contribute significantly.
agdaddy04
AG
He certainly has more than Gomez considering all he'd do is work with pitching and he was on playoff roster. But that's also why I said I'm not sure how I feel. Not too upset, but would've preferred he go somewhere besides a team we play 18 times per year.
iBrad
AG
I figured they signed him because we were hoping to push him through waivers unclaimed.
Mr.Ackar07
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/262483668/carlos-beltran-to-interview-with-yankees/

Quote:

Beltran will be at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday as the sixth candidate to formally interview with general manager Brian Cashman and a group of Yankees executives, MLB.com has confirmed.
iBrad
AG
So we boo him again?
Farmer1906
AG
iBrad said:

So we boo him again?
For basically stealing from the Astros and living off some story about mentoring younger guys? Yup!

(is that take hot enough?)
Beau Bevers
AG
agdaddy04
AG
Wow, had no idea Starter was still in business
screw-tu
I'm definitely a lolpoor after this WS win. Wish I could be able to keep buying all these goodies.
Mr.Bond
AG
I wish I could pull this off
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
I wish I could wear that for more than just a few days a year.

Just not worth spending any money on an expensive jacket when it sits in the closet for 360 days a year.
Frok
AG
Rumor Central: Evan Gattis a non-tender candidate?

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post/_/id/37896/rumor-central-evan-gattis-a-non-tender-candidate

I understand the move. I just really like Evan Gattis and his story. It would be sad to see him go.
Psych
AG
Frok said:

Rumor Central: Evan Gattis a non-tender candidate?

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post/_/id/37896/rumor-central-evan-gattis-a-non-tender-candidate

I understand the move. I just really like Evan Gattis and his story. It would be sad to see him go.

Really? Im surprised by this news.
JW_TXAG13
AG
Oh wow, my coworker was just telling me about this so I figured someone had the scoop here..

Wonder what our plan would be at DH if we decline? I know Marwin could play there occasionally when not filling in for someone else, but I was looking forward to Gattis at DH for a full season after this year.
screw-tu
Hoping they don't let Evan go. Think he would be great DH full time. Need to think about our team chemistry
AustinCountyAg
I love Gattis but for the price he will be commanding I don't think the Astros should keep him. I'd rather spend that money towards an everyday player or just put it aside for one of the other future contracts for a younger player
JJxvi
AG
I would assume they are already looking at spending for someone else they like better at DH if they let Gattis go. Especially with also losing Centeno.
iBrad
AG
I like Gattis a lot, but you can't make baseball decisions based on feelings. With McCann declining, we need someone to take the load off of him behind the plate. Gattis is not a very good catcher, and his durability is also a question mark.

He's also been a terrible DH. His career slash line as a DH: .236/.286/.424, which is just a tick above what we got from Beltran last year. We could easily go out and get someone to improve our DH performance. Or if you want to save that money to use on the bullpen, we've got internal options like Moran and Fisher, or even Marwin if you want Fisher in the outfield more.

It would be tough to see him go, but Gattis just doesn't have a good fit on this team.
W
AG
interesting discussion on Gattis.

it is true that he does not fit the Astros' mold of having all-around multi-tool players/athletes. Guys that excel in multiple areas.

he only walked 18 times in 325 plate appearances. That's not good.

plus he hit in 10 GiDP's in 300 AB's. That's not a good stat either.

those numbers don't project well for a guy that might get 450 to 500 plate appearances

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.