Astros offseason thread

343,285 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hinch got MOY for the postseason, otherwise known as a World Series Championship. I think the decision that was questioned the most was bringing in Verlander against Boston, but it worked out and set him up for two home starts versus NY, which is a big reason we won that series.
AFDave13
W
AG
Hinch really settled down after the ALDS Game 4 move to Verlander. He let the other manager make the panic moves the rest of the way...especially in the World Series
Ag_07
AG
I also think Hinch deserves a lot of credit for not letting things slip when our entire rotation was on the DL and when one of our MVP candidates went down for 2 months.

I also think something can be said for how he handled the Verlander addition. It's not as easy as JV just showing up and going to work. Seemed like Hinch quickly got on the same page with JV about what he prefers and how he likes to work and Hinch and JV both were learning on the fly. Strom deserves big props on this as well.

They all got on the right page to ensure that we got the most out of JV for the short amount of time he was with us this season.
Nino Brown
Watched the Game 4 Boston series game over again this morning. Forgot how big Beltran's 2 out double to make it 5-3 was.
Ag_07
AG
Wouldn't be mad at this.

Quote:

Beaumont native Jay Bruce would like to sign with one of his home-state teams (the Astros or Rangers), NJ Advance Media's Abbey Mastracco writes. A return to the Mets is also a possibility, though Bruce's top priority is to play for a contender. Bruce isn't a perfect fit on either the Houston or Texas rosters, though the Astros could use another left-handed bat and the DH spot is opening up with Carlos Beltran's likely departure.

Not sure I'd be down with paying him what he's asking (80-90m/5 years) but if he came down in order to play for his hometown team I think he'd be a nice fit.
Agnzona
I'd prefer JD come back and replace Beltran.
Ag_07
AG
JD is the kind of contract that hurts teams long term. I don't think he's worth the $200 million he's seeking.

And also I didn't see this.

Quote:

The Red Sox are hiring Craig Bjornson as their bullpen coach, according to Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston. He'll take over for Dana Levangie, whom the team promoted to pitching coach this week. Bjornson was with the Astros from 2012-17 and spent some of that time as their bullpen coach.

Guess we'll be in the market for a new BP coach as well.
. . .
W
AG
so Beltran's 467 at-bats from last season are now up for grabs
W
AG
Bruce would be 31 years old on opening day 2018.

the question would be how long of a contract does he want. If I were the Astros...3 years max...so he is off the books by 2020 and not a potential impediment to locking up the core 4 long term.

he also may have had his career year last season. Might be paying a premium for last year's returns so to speak
iBrad
AG
Arbitration eligible players, their 2017 salaries, 2018 projections, and the increase. Overall, would be around a $24M increase to the payroll in 2018.

Gonzalez $3.7M - $5.1M (club option) - $1.4M
Keuchel $9.2M - $12.6M - $3.4M
Gattis $5.2M - $6.6M - $1.4M
Fiers $3.5M - $5.7M - $2.2M
McHugh $3.9M - $4.8M - $900K
Springer $3.9M - $8.9M - $5.0M
Peacock $541K - $2.9M - $2.4M
Marisnick $1.1M - $2.0M - $900K
Giles $550K - $5.0M - $4.5M
McCullers $548K - $2.6M - $2.1M
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Wouldn't be mad at this.

Quote:

Beaumont native Jay Bruce would like to sign with one of his home-state teams (the Astros or Rangers), NJ Advance Media's Abbey Mastracco writes. A return to the Mets is also a possibility, though Bruce's top priority is to play for a contender. Bruce isn't a perfect fit on either the Houston or Texas rosters, though the Astros could use another left-handed bat and the DH spot is opening up with Carlos Beltran's likely departure.

Not sure I'd be down with paying him what he's asking (80-90m/5 years) but if he came down in order to play for his hometown team I think he'd be a nice fit.
https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7btT1T9qpQZWhNlK/html5

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
iBrad said:

Arbitration eligible players, their 2017 salaries, 2018 projections, and the increase. Overall, would be around a $24M increase to the payroll in 2018.

None of those makes me flinch.

Mr.Bond
AG
Giles and Springer getting large bumps
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Ackar07
iBrad said:

First off, a $500,000 salary in and of itself would be awesome, but I can't imagine what the change in lifestyle a 2.5 million or 4.5 million increase when you weren't making millions before would be like.
TREX01
Not big on going after Bruce. Maybe we have enough bats on the team currently to make up for Beltran. Between Fisher, Jake, Gattis and Marwin we have to opportunity to rotate guys through the DH slot in an effort to keep guys fresh.
Farmer1906
AG
I have been saying we should go after Bruce for years now. He's a solid bat and comes at a fair price. However, I don't think we're in a spot to give out a 5 year, 75 M dollar deal for Jay Bruce. Money would be better spent on the pen and if we want another bat we can find value in a shorter term deal for someone like Matt Holliday or Mark Reynolds.
E
AG
TREX01 said:

Not big on going after Bruce. Maybe we have enough bats on the team currently to make up for Beltran. Between Fisher, Jake, Gattis and Marwin we have to opportunity to rotate guys through the DH slot in an effort to keep guys fresh.
This.

I think Fisher gets the every day LF position and we'll see Marwin at DH much more.
titanmaster_race
Farmer1906 said:

iBrad said:

None of those makes me flinch.

Paying Fiers more than a lot of guys on the team sure as hell makes me flinch.
Farmer1906
AG
But that is how this works. Fiers is in year 2 of arbitration.
Farmer1906
AG
So who are we going after? Wade Davis seems obvious. Give him 4 years 60 M and call it a day at closer.
Ag_07
AG
Davis worth that?

I honestly don't know much about the guy. Wasn't he essentially a journeyman until recently? Only has a couple years of pen experience doesn't he?

Could we swing him and Addison Reed?
jkag89
E said:

TREX01 said:

This.

I think Fisher gets the every day LF position and we'll see Marwin at DH much more.
Yep. Marwin getting the starting nod in left rather than the DH in this past postseason was due to the Marisnick injury rather than any indication that he will play a bunch in the outfield in 2018. Springer, Reddick, Marisnick & Fisher will likely get the bulk of the starts in the OF with Marwin getting most of his starts as the DH or giving one of the infielders a day off. I can see signing a quality additional bat as a DH if one is willing to come to Houston without a long term contract but do not see it as a priority this off season.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
davis has seemingly gotten worse the last couple years. Walk and homer rates climbing if I remember correctly.
iBrad
AG
Personally, I'd like to address the bullpen with any trades or free agent signings and let the offense come from what we already have. If we need another bat come June, I think we could trade for one that isn't going to hamstring us long-term like a Bruce signing would.

Afterall, we did have the best offense in baseball, and that was with Beltran as the primary DH.
Ag_07
AG
My concern with Davis is that while a good closer without the track record you could be getting a guy that's just a flash in the pan. Feel like he's just cashing in on his recent run a la Tony Sipp.

But again I don't know much about him and maybe that's why I have some hesitation.
k20dub
AG
iBrad said:

Personally, I'd like to address the bullpen with any trades or free agent signings and let the offense come from what we already have. If we need another bat come June, I think we could trade for one that isn't going to hamstring us long-term like a Bruce signing would.

Afterall, we did have the best offense in baseball, and that was with Beltran as the primary DH.
Agree with all points here.
shano0603
AG
Sorry I'm late boys. Still hasn't completely set in that we are the Champs. Here's my take on things.

Get Altuve locked up now.

I think we sign 2 relievers. A closer and a lefty. I'm gonna predict Jake McGee and Greg Holland. They are both free agents so we don't have to give up prospects like we would for Hand/Britton. And Holland might take a pay cut to chase a ring. Id be down for Wade Davis though. If it goes like that, no more Liriano or Gregerson.

I see us shopping McHugh, although I'm not against having a possible 6-man rotation with Lance's injury issues and to also keep the innings down on Keuchel and Verlander.

Like i said during trade deadline talk, i would like to add a bat. OF/1B type guy. I think they will go for another Veteran, kind of like Beltran and sign him to a 1-year deal. Can't see us investing in a guy like Jay bruce when Kyle Tucker might be ready next season. Not real sure who though. But I'd imagine some vets are salivating at the chance of hitting in this lineup.,
astros4545
AG
Is Forrest Whitely a possibility by mid season, or do we think this year is for Tucker only

Also, we have some bullpen potential in the minors with Riley Ferrel and Bukaskaus
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
astros4545 said:

Is Forrest Whitely a possibility by mid season, or do we think this year is for Tucker only

Also, we have some bullpen potential in the minors with Riley Ferrel and Bukaskaus
im assuming if whitley would come up it would be later in the season so we can control him for another year unless he absolutely dominates in the spring and forces your hand but i can count on one hand the number of pitchers that actually do that in the last 20 years.
Farmer1906
AG
No, he's nothing like Sipp. He was a back end of the rotation starter for his first several years. Once KC moved him to the pen & he started throwing the knuckle curve he was unhittable. He's done it at a very high level for 4 years now. He's about as worth it as it gets for a closer. His run in the '15 postseason was lengendary and '14 was damn good too.
maca1028
Jumping in from the other thread.
HotardAg07
AG
I think a lot of people are going to be angry this offseasom when we don't sign some big flashy expensive closer. Doesn't seem like Luhnow's style. I'd expect him to bring in a lot more of the Charlie Morton types that come in on Good prices and are a little undervalued and may pop in our situation. I also don't expect us to sign any big long term deals for older offensive players for free agents in general because we are gonna have to shell out big time over time for the guys we've got under team control and we have prospects that will be heading up soon as well.
Farmer1906
AG
Last time we needed a closer we went out and traded away our former #1 overall draft pick along with another high level prospect. I wouldn't be shocked if he made a big move to address the need. Look at how he landed Beltran, McCann, & Reddick last year. He seems a need and fixes it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.