Astros offseason thread

343,279 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Clavell
AG
What am I missing, did Cole break an arm that hasn't been reported?
NotGibbs
Mr.Bond said:

We about to have an all star team of players wives

Think of the TOFA

CFTXAG10
AG
It's like some Astros fan went out to Minute Maid for FanFest today and was like "Hey Luhnow, how about Musgrove, Moran, Feliz, and Martin for Gerrit Cole." Luhnow laughs his a** off and says let's screw with em and text it over to see what the Pirate's GM says. HOLY **** they took it!
WES2006AG
AG
You can never have too much pitching, especially at that price.
cap-n-jack
I wonder if Darvish is still on the radar. What an insane rotation that would be. And all those acquisitions hungry for a ring.
No need to spend big on him now I guess.
Mathguy64
AG
And we kept Martes. If he can learn to pitch instead of throw he could be a huge keep.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
NotGibbs said:

Mr.Bond said:

We about to have an all star team of players wives

Think of the TOFA

Dammit
agproducer
AG
The only thing that hurts in that trade is losing Musgrove. He was a nice help in the BP last year and was a nice stop-gap in the rotation.

Feliz, meh. Moran, meh. A lotto ticket, meh.

The rotation upgrade is worth it. The Astros basically have a 1 and a 1A, two number 2s and a 3.

They just need to stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Whitley at some point this summer. And don't forget, we still have McHugh.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
iBrad
AG
I know it doesn't seem like we lost much, but that's a damn good haul for the Pirates. I think Moran is on the verge of being a solid everyday third baseman. And they get two guys with major league experience that can battle for spots in the rotation or slot into the pen. And Jason Martin will probably be a big leaguer one day.
. . .
The Milkman
AG
tremble said:

God damn, Luhnow is the ****in Morey of MLB

Na the Stros actually won a title
NotGibbs
The 5 man rotation now has 1 mvp, 2 cy going winners and 4 all stars
agproducer
AG
iBrad said:

I know it doesn't seem like we lost much, but that's a damn good haul for the Pirates. I think Moran is on the verge of being a solid everyday third baseman. And they get two guys with major league experience that can battle for spots in the rotation or slot into the pen. And Jason Martin will probably be a big leaguer one day.

I agree with you, but most of those pieces don't fit into the Astros plans right now. We got a top of the line starter for some pieces that we were trying to force to fit. It's a win for both teams.
Marvin
AG
Wonder if we now trade Peacock or McHugh for a bat. Not that I'm advocating for that, given injury potential, but is that an option?
Farmer1906
AG
Trade rape
The Milkman
AG
Marvin said:

Wonder if we now trade Peacock or McHugh for a bat. Not that I'm advocating for that, given injury potential, but is that an option?

I think Peacock is probably our closer or at least one of our best and most reliable bullpen arms. We can't risk losing Peacock at this point.

I think McHugh might be on the table though. Not sure he has a role anymore
JABQ04
AG
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22085338/pittsburgh-pirates-trade-rhp-gerrit-cole-houston-astros
. . .
Brian McTaggart said:

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow: "This moves gives us a better chance over the next two years to repeat and win another championship."

Luhnow says the trade came at a big cost, four players they love.

Luhnow said: "When you make a deal like this, you've got to give up some real quality."

Luhnow said they talked to Pitt about Cole in July of last year. They didn't resume talks until Winter Meetings. "We've probably been in touch once a week until early December, probably more. Momentum just continued."

Luhnow said players were agreed to early this morning, then it took medical review and ownership approval.

Luhnow when asked about Cole's HRs: "We don't focus too much on short term performance. Gerrit Cole has a long track record of elite performance. ... We expect him to bounce back and be a Cy Young contender."
Rob Biertempfel said:

Cole: "I want to thank the organization, thank the fanbase. It's been an unbelievable ride. It was an honor. I was proud to represent the city because I understand what they stand for."

Cole: "This is exciting, but I'm trying to stay sensitive to this being my wife's birthday weekend, as well."

Cole: "People coming going is nature of the business. As for the Pirates, they're trying to compete, trying to win division. they feel this is direction they need to go."

Mathguy64
AG
I think the club needs to figure out who is better suited for the rotation versus pen versus a big part in a major trade for a bat. McCullers, McHugh, Peacock. If Dallas leaves after this year you get one of them who takes his place, you get one in the pen and one frankly has immense value in a trade. And you still keep Whitley in your pocket.

In the end this franchise is flush with arms.
exp
AG
So what's our rotation next year?
gougler08
AG
exp said:

Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, LMJ, Morton

The bullpen arms that matter are Smith, Peacock, Giles, Harris, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting

We could still do with a DH and LHP, but this team is absolutely loaded
agdaddy04
AG
You left out Mchugh. Our former #2
Farmer1906
AG
exp said:

Dallas
Justin
Lance
Garrit
Charlie

Brad to the pen

I guess Colin too.
Farmer1906
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Back when we sucked.
gougler08
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Oh yeah, derp...and I left off Devo, I blame the fact that I'm traveling in Asia
iBrad
AG
agproducer said:

iBrad said:

I agree with you, but most of those pieces don't fit into the Astros plans right now. We got a top of the line starter for some pieces that we were trying to force to fit. It's a win for both teams.

You're right. It wasn't but last week or so that I raised the question on what to do with guys like Musgrove and Feliz given the bullpen additions. This answers that question.

But just because the guys didn't fit doesn't mean they aren't good players. We've just done a really good job of building the big league club and have talented guys being blocked because of it.

I get the arguments being posted that Pittsburg didn't get a star in return, but they traded a guy that played every fifth day for their likely starting third baseman and two guys that will either be in the rotation or pen. Plus a guy that could develop into an everyday outfielder. All under team control for several years. It's a pretty solid haul for a guy they were only going to have for two more seasons.

I'm going to give the Astros the win in the trade now, but I think over time, it will even out. What's amazing is that we added Verlander and Coke via trade and didn't part with Tucker or Whitley.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Marvin said:

No. Keep the depth. Injuries happen
Farmer1906
AG
Moran is a 25 year old rookie who batted .206 in very limited time in the show. He was solid in triple A last year but he's got a long long way to go before he's a good everyday third basemen. Not saying he can't but he's clearly not there yet.

Mediocre 5th starter are a dim a dozen. Maybe he develops into more, maybe not. He was solid out of the pen until he wasn't. He's pretty young still, he's just a guy at this point.

Feliz was projecting to be good to very good, but development stalled. He's got the most potential still, but again who knows. He maybe never be more than a middling relief pitcher.

Basically we have up guys who had opportunities and didn't excel right away for one reason or another for a former All Star and potential very high stud to help anchor our rotation for the next 2 years.
coastalAg
AG
I will miss Musgrove on a personal level. Great dude and was very involved in the community post Harvey. Best of luck Joe.
Farmer1906
AG
Funny too. His videos with Devo were entertaining.
Farmer1906
AG
Gramercy Riffs
AG
gougler08 said:

The bullpen arms that matter are Smith, Peacock, Giles, Harris, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting

Devo?
gougler08
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

gougler08 said:

Devo?

Yeah I edited my reply back after realizing that one. I blame the fact that I'm in Asia right now and all I can watch is stupid cricket

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.