Astros offseason thread

337,167 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jkag89 said:

wangus12 said:

Man listening to the radio in Dallas today's enjoyable on the drive home. Basically saying that the Astros sucking for so many years wasn't worth the World Series and that they wouldn't do it that way.
From what I can gather it was not exactly a plan. Uncle Drayton did not want use his money for players when in process of selling the team/ Luhnow saw little benefit for the long run development of the the organization by signing mid level free agents which would have only made the team marginally better. The whole we'll tank for a few years to gather a bunch of future stars is a bunch of BS. While nothing is guaranteed, I wonder how many years of extended success would make it worth those four 90+ loss seasons (three 100+) and five seasons of mediocrity following the '05 pennant?

We won a World Series, it's already worth the really bad seasons in my book. Add on that our window is open for at least 2 more season, I'd say it was completely worth it
Agnzona
Not to mention this is Baseball the hardest sport to tank and then win. When was the last time anyone did that successfully?
jkag89
gougler08 said:

jkag89 said:

wangus12 said:

Man listening to the radio in Dallas today's enjoyable on the drive home. Basically saying that the Astros sucking for so many years wasn't worth the World Series and that they wouldn't do it that way.
From what I can gather it was not exactly a plan. Uncle Drayton did not want use his money for players when in process of selling the team/ Luhnow saw little benefit for the long run development of the the organization by signing mid level free agents which would have only made the team marginally better. The whole we'll tank for a few years to gather a bunch of future stars is a bunch of BS. While nothing is guaranteed, I wonder how many years of extended success would make it worth those four 90+ loss seasons (three 100+) and five seasons of mediocrity following the '05 pennant?

We won a World Series, it's already worth the really bad seasons in my book. Add on that our window is open for at least 2 more season, I'd say it was completely worth it
Of course it was worth it, I just wondering what sort of success would make it worth it to those Ranger fans who glibly spout otherwise.
WES2006AG
AG
jkag89 said:

gougler08 said:

jkag89 said:

wangus12 said:

Of course it was worth it, I just wondering what sort of success would make it worth to those Ranger fans who believe otherwise.

You'll have to cut those idiots some slack. They've never won a World Series.
screw-tu
Ranger fans are just ass hurt. I hope they never win jacks**t and they constantly think about being just one strike away forever
Mathguy64
AG
Agnzona said:

Not to mention this is Baseball the hardest sport to tank and then win. When was the last time anyone did that successfully?

The Marlins. After their first WS win they broke the team apart and started over and won it again. And the. Destroyed the team a second time.
Mr.Ackar07
Just because:

jkag89
mathguy86 said:

Agnzona said:

The Marlins. After their first WS win they broke the team apart and started over and won it again. And the. Destroyed the team a second time.
Please make the case that the '03 Marlins were built by tanking. The '97 teamwas broken up due to the fact that Miami area fans did not come to the ballpark despite all the stars on the field not with the idea of tanking.
titanmaster_race
Agnzona said:

The 2016 cubs.
iBrad
AG
CoachRTM said:

If the two options are :

1) keep the team as is, keep most of our good players over time, but lose one or two to free agency as the years go by

2) sign Stanton for a two year window, but then lose Correa, Altuve, etc because of financial issues as they become free agents

Give me option 1. I want to see Correa and Altuve go down as career Astros. This generation's Biggio and Bagwell.

(Obviously it's more complicated than just those two options)

Option 2 locks in a MVP for the rest of his productive career. If you shoot for Option 1, there is the chance that you lose both Altuve and Correa and have to hope someone has developed in the system or someone is available as a free agent.

I would prefer signing Altuve and Correa, too, but nothing is a given.
Prosperdick
AG
wangus12 said:

Ask any Ranger fan if they want to trade rosters and the World Series win with us. If they say no openly laugh in their face for at least 60 seconds, if not longer.

W
AG
apparently Stanton has turned down trades to the Cardinals and Giants.

looks like he wants to play in the American League
Ag_07
AG
Or maybe he just doesn't wanna play for a shltty team.

And I see the Tigers signed Fiers to a $6MM deal.
Mathguy64
AG
So we effectively traded Fiers for JV and $12mm in salary hit. And they threw Kate in for free. I know who won that trade.
HotardAg07
AG
I mean, we did trade 3 of our top 15 prospects to get JV. And the tigers are going all in on a rebuild.
Mr.Bond
AG
Kind of pissed to find out the DVD I bought from Amazon is the exact same thing FS1 aired a few weeks ago
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

titanmaster_race
What are the chances we could sign Stanton with the intent of only keeping him 2-3 years then offloading him?
iBrad
AG
titanmaster_race said:

What are the chances we could sign Stanton with the intent of only keeping him 2-3 years then offloading him?

He has an opt-out after the 2020 season, but I doubt he would leave that much guaranteed money on the table.
titanmaster_race
iBrad said:

titanmaster_race said:

He has an opt-out after the 2020 season, but I doubt he would leave that much guaranteed money on the table.

Right, but we could still trade him right?
DriftwoodAg
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-and-marlins-reportedly-have-agreed-to-a-giancarlo-stanton-trade/
Going to the Yankees
k20dub
AG
DVC2010
AG
Oh look! The Yankees are using their massive payroll to do things that would cripple other clubs!
Mr.Bond
AG
NY or LA were only realistic options in my eyes as this was 100 percent salary dump
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

CoachRTM
AG
- Derek Jeter buys Miami Marlins
- Miami Marlins trade the NL MVP to the New York Yankees.

Coincidence?
maca1028
My damn Blu-ray was due Tuesday, then delayed, out for delivery yesterday, now delayed to Monday!
Mr.Bond
AG
maca1028 said:

My damn Blu-ray was due Tuesday, then delayed, out for delivery yesterday, now delayed to Monday!

If it's the 25 dollar one don't worry. It's the exact same thing FS1 aired a few weeks ago. So pissed

dcaggie04
AG
CoachRTM said:

- Derek Jeter buys Miami Marlins
- Miami Marlins trade the NL MVP to the New York Yankees.

Coincidence?

Yeah, looks like the trade is Stanton for Castro and some mid-level prospects. No high level prospects going to Marlins.
iBrad
AG
And Castro will never play for the Marlins, as they're already trying to flip him for prospects.
maca1028
Mr.Bond said:

maca1028 said:

If it's the 25 dollar one don't worry. It's the exact same thing FS1 aired a few weeks ago. So pissed

I got the 8 disc one
Agnzona
Stanton to Yankees adds pressure to the Astros to get another bat also. I'd offer JD a large amount of cash for a 2-3 year deal.
titanmaster_race
Screw the Yankees.
irish pete ag06
AG
Agnzona said:

Stanton to Yankees adds pressure to the Astros to get another bat also. I'd offer JD a large amount of cash for a 2-3 year deal.

It doesn't add any pressure now. Can add a bat at the deadline if need be.
Agnzona
That's a valid point. But who might be available at that point vs now?
(removed:110205)
Agnzona said:

Over-reaction doesn't seem like Luhnow's way. The young Astros core is still ascending. Correa and Bregman can be bigger bats. I doubt JD takes a short-term deal. He has no need to.
Agnzona
A possible ring....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.