Astros offseason thread

337,179 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
zgood10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TUCKER F***ER
iBrad
AG
This Ted kid is pretty good.
astros4545
AG
zgood10 said:

TUCKER F***ER
astros4545
AG
Ted "I don't hit solo shots" Tucker
Ag_07
AG
I'll give you White. That's a fair assessment on him.

But Reed hasn't done crap. He's proven he's just a AAAA player. Yeah it wasn't long ago that he was a top prospect, but the dude has made no adjustments and we continue to see the same lazy, slow mistakes at the plate. Just like what we saw with Singleton. It looks like they DGAF when out there.

His weight is a perfect example. If he hasn't lost it by now I have no hope that he ever will.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I'm pretty much ready to count Reed out as a future piece to this team and rather put our hope/effort into Alvarez and see how he progresses through the system.
E
AG
Tucker, White, Stassi and Fisher are fighting hard to make this team. I like it!
rosco511
AG
Reed had a good full season in AAA last season. I would not write him off yet.
tjack16
AG
not gonna lie I was really excited for Spring Training to start.... now that it's been like a week, I'm over it and ready for the regular season.
DVC2010
AG
Ag_07 said:

DEN would be a good trip to do.

I'd like to go to a game in MIN but not sure the wife would buy off on that one.

I also have friends in the Twin Cities that I've been promising to visit. I love the area, but I've never been during baseball season.
DVC2010
AG
gougler08 said:

DVC2010 said:

I'm thinking of a trip to Denver. I have lots of high school friends there.
I see what you did there

Definitely a couple, but fewer than you think.
mazag08
AG
Reed definitely looks in better shape. Hope he can at least be a good trade piece along with some of the other older minor leaguers for our next bullpen arm in August.
bullard21k
AG
I know it's just spring training...But a lot of people are acting like tucker starting in AAA is a 100% sure thing lock.

While it's probable no doubt for reasons we have covered multiple times, that kid keeps anhilating baseballs and he could end up on the 25 man roster

Especially now with Yuli on the shelf he could play multiple positions and or DH. Yes starts the clock, don't want to slow his progress coming up to fast yada yada yada. This isn't 2014 where we are only building towards the future. If Mgmt and hinch feel like he's ready and he can help our ball club this season he's coming up.
astros4545
AG
I don't think there is a chance he comes up before June unless injury that will allow him to play daily
NotGibbs
Even our front office is out there dick slappin dingers

Pahdz
DVC2010 said:

Ag_07 said:

DEN would be a good trip to do.

I'd like to go to a game in MIN but not sure the wife would buy off on that one.

I also have friends in the Twin Cities that I've been promising to visit. I love the area, but I've never been during baseball season.
if anyone makes the trip to MN let me know, would be cool to get a TexAgs Astros group pic

Fair warning though...the timing of this series sucks. Could be snowing, could be a gorgeous 65. Hit or miss time of year.
bullard21k
AG
astros4545 said:

I don't think there is a chance he comes up before June unless injury that will allow him to play daily

Marwin is playing 1B most days for the next 2 months. Fisher is probably the starting LF most days, but what if he is scuffling or tucker is just flat out a better option? I agree it's not likely but as i mentioned if hinch thinks he's ready there is your injury and starting left fielder and or DH for 2 months and he could play almost everyday
BMX Bandit
It's a certainty Tucker doesn't start the season in majors
n_touch
Is it just me or has the ticket system changed? I could have sworn before you could pick your actual seats.
zgood10
AG
n_touch said:

Is it just me or has the ticket system changed? I could have sworn before you could pick your actual seats.
Probably just for first week with the super high demand
BowSowy
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'll give you White. That's a fair assessment on him.

But Reed hasn't done crap. He's proven he's just a AAAA player. Yeah it wasn't long ago that he was a top prospect, but the dude has made no adjustments and we continue to see the same lazy, slow mistakes at the plate. Just like what we saw with Singleton. It looks like they DGAF when out there.

His weight is a perfect example. If he hasn't lost it by now I have no hope that he ever will.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I'm pretty much ready to count Reed out as a future piece to this team and rather put our hope/effort into Alvarez and see how he progresses through the system.
I think I've seen 3 or 4 posts from you this week about how bad you think White and Reed are. You're definitely being harsh
BowSowy
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I'm convinced that anyone asking whether Tucker will be on the opening day roster are people who didn't watch baseball until the World Series last year. Like BMX said, there's an absolute zero chance they start his clock considering how crowded the OF is
n_touch
Didnt do opening night. Did the first Friday game with the replica trophies giveaway
shano0603
AG
NotGibbs said:

Speaking of highlights we can't get enough of...

Blue star padding
shano0603
AG
NotGibbs said:

Speaking of highlights we can't get enough of...

I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent to what Harden did to Wesley Johnson last night.
Farmer1906
AG
BowSowy said:

BMX Bandit said:

I'm convinced that anyone asking whether Tucker will be on the opening day roster are people who didn't watch baseball until the World Series last year. Like BMX said, there's an absolute zero chance they start his clock considering how crowded the OF is

I'm not asking. I'm suggesting. I know it won't happen burn I think bringing him up ASAP helps the team the most for 2018-2020.
Ag12thman
AG
This wait is killing me. Can April get here any faster????
W
AG
regarding Tucker and the Astros outfield situation...

keep in mind that Springer, Reddick, and Marwin all had career years last season.

it will be interesting to see who can or cannot match their 2017 production. Odds are 1 or 2 of them will not and that could open the door for Tucker midseason.

-----

also...Springer's games played totals the last 3 years:

2015 ---> 102 games
2016 ---> 162 games
2017 ---> 140 games
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

2016 ---> 162 games

2017 ---> 140 games
That's a 151 game avg over the last 2. He plays with a little bit of reckless abandon in the OF, but I don;t consider him injury prone.
W
AG
his games-played average is okay...it's the standard deviation so to speak.

and of course Fisher is the wildcard
zgood10
AG
27 days
iBrad
AG

I think everyone knows that the increase in home runs isn't just because hitters are changing their launch angle. MLB is trying to add excitement to the game, and I've think they've done just that. I hope this ball sticks around a while. Home runs definitely played a HUGE role in the excitement of the World Series, and some of those were barely sneaking over the fence. Wouldn't have been home runs a few years ago.

I think we're far enough past the steroid era and into drug testing that they can juice the ball a little and bring back some of the excitement we saw in the late 90s and early 00s.
astros4545
AG
Trying to read that graph

How does it account for ball park factor? I don't think it clearly means anything, definitely lends credence to the theory, but not definitively
Farmer1906
AG
Have the parks significantly changed in the last 3 years?
astros4545
AG
Not that

But what if more home runs have been hit in the smaller parks, it would affect the results
JYDog90
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

As long as Bagwell doesn't give him any throwing lessons we ought to be ok.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.