Astros offseason thread

337,121 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Really enjoyed this past season and wish I kept up with the 2017 thread. Looking forward for next year!
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
Dan Shedd said:

wish I kept up with the 2017 thread

It's right below this one.

You got until Feb 14th...Get to reading!!
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
NotGibbs
Dan Shedd said:

Don't worry. There's plenty of "study break" material in there
shano0603
AG
We offered Carlos Gonzalez a contract. I kinda like it. Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.
Ag_07
AG
shano0603 said:

We offered Carlos Gonzalez a contract. I kinda like it. Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.

We did what?
rosco511
AG
https://climbingtalshill.com/2018/01/04/astros-rumors-team-has-a-contract-out-to-carlos-gonzalez/
iBrad
AG
Offer him a one-year $15M deal. For him, it's a chance to play for a contender and re-up his value for a bigger deal next offseason. For us, we get another solid left handed bat and true outfielder without potentially blocking Tucker in 2019.

That also allows Marwin to continue to be our utility guy that plays everyone. The question then lies with guys like Fisher. I'd have to think signing another bat would lead to some type of trade.
agdaddy04
AG
What's wrong with it?
Mathguy64
AG
His home/away split was brutal last year. He was a typical Rockies hitter in Coors Field. He was Mendoza everywhere else.

You get Jake back and adding another outfielder jams up Fisher another year. It's one thing for a consistent hitter. But Gonzales isn't one.
Ag_07
AG
I don't know.

I just meant I didn't see it anywhere. Hadn't heard we offered anyone anything.
Farmer1906
AG
Gonzales & Jake aren't good enough to jam up Tucker.

Our guys are usually successful because they're put in a position to concede. If there is something correctable or something (certain split) he's good at then that'll be when the majority of his abs will take place.
Ag_07
AG
He's was saying that signing a OFer would jam up Fisher which I tend to agree with.

If that's where we go I think Fisher is expendable via trade.

I just don't know if I like CarGo. I'd rather let Fisher get the OF reps and have a pure dedicated DH. I don't think CarGo's a good enough hitter to be that kind of DH.

I think this is a big year for Fisher and we need to know if he's for a real a part of the future or a trade bait. I'd hate for him to get limited time and spend most of the year on the bench and here we are at the 2018 deadline or even 2019 still not know exactly what we have in Fisher.
Farmer1906
AG
I forgot about Fisher. Maybe that is a fair point. I guess it is worth finding out if he can be legit. But come the deadline if we need another bat and Fisher ain't it, then we better go get one and I don't want to hear any *****ing from the peanut gallery about mortgaging the future.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

shano0603 said:

We did what?
That's Gonzalez...not Gomez. Oh yeah, and that's racist.
W
AG
I'd be okay with a 1-year flyer on CarGo.

he can hit 6th or 7th.

the 'stros need one more left-handed stick & outfielder. Both Springer and Reddick spent time on the DL last year. They both had career years too. A little veteran insurance would be okay
E
AG
I'd be ok with a one year deal for him as he is a lefty power bat. But sheesh! he really did batt at the mendoza line away from Coors last year
NotGibbs
CarGo was dog **** last year. No one is going to argue that. With that said, he could really bust out in a big way next season, especially in a park like MMP. I'm on board for giving him a 1 year deal
iBrad
AG
CarGo was a better hitter in the second half, slashing .314/.390/.531. His career splits suggest that his production will definitely drop off away from Coors, but his second half gives hope that he could be a productive hitter still.
. . .
Ag_07
AG
J_R said:

Farmer1906
AG
J_R said:

High-end starters: Yu & Jack. Maybe Alex Cobb.

Other mid-tier guys would be Hellickson & Lynn.
Hollabeck
Could also refer to a trade for someone like Chris Archer.
Farmer1906
AG
Hollabeck said:

Keuchel, Verlander, Archer, McCullers, Morton.

That rotation is unfair.

Then the bullpen gets better too with Peacock.

Oh and there is McHugh too.
Ag_07
AG
Hollabeck said:

Archer makes so much sense for us.
Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

The Astros have been connected to Yu Darvish at various points throughout the offseason, and owner Jim Crane confirmed to reporters today that his club is in the market for a top-shelf pitching addition (Twitter links, with video, from MLB.com's Alyson Footer). Crane didn't suggest that his front office is zeroed in on one particular target, instead suggesting that an upgrade could come either via free agency or trade.

"[General manager] Jeff [Luhnow] and his team are actively pursuing a high-end starter," said Crane. "We don't have anything done yet, and it may not come to be, but we're constantly looking to improve the team. We're always trying to upgrade the team, so it would have to be a significant upgrade. We're happy where we're at. I've been told that on paper we have the best team in baseball, but paper doesn't win titles."

Darvish has been the most prominently mentioned name in connection with the Astros, though the free-agent market also features Jake Arrieta while the trade market could bear names such as Gerrit Cole and Chris Archer (among other, potentially yet unforeseen candidates).

Houston, of course, already boasts a stacked starting rotation. Justin Verlanderlooked arguably better than ever following an Aug. 31 trade from Detroit to Houston, and he'll return to front a rotation that includes 2015 AL Cy Young Winner Dallas Keuchel, high-upside young righty Lance McCullers, and 2017 breakout stars Charlie Morton and Brad Peacock. The 'Stros also have veteran Collin McHughon hand as a solid back-of-the-rotation option and a number of high-end prospects waiting in the upper minors (including Francis Martes and David Paulino, each of whom has already made his MLB debut).

However, the Astros could also be on the verge of losing Keuchel and Morton to free agency, as each has just one year of team control remaining. While the development of Martes and/or Paulino could lead to the emergence of some internal replacements, Houston could very well see Verlander depart after the 2019 season. As such, adding a top-end starter right now would not only give the Astros an even more formidable collection of starters, it'd also serve as insurance against the possibility of losing arguably their top three starters over the course of the next two years (although Cole, it should be noted, only comes with two years of team control himself).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
Ag_07
AG
iBrad
AG
I think team preference is (1) Archer, (2) Darvish. I'm just not sure how you pull off the Archer trade without losing Tucker or Whitley. Maybe something like:

Fisher
Moran (they have an opening at 3rd)
Bukauskas
Some lower level prospects

They'd be getting two major league ready players, a top arm from our system, and one or two other throw-ins. Such a deal would likely make us players for a one-year deal for CarGo.

I think the only way Darvish is an Astro is if the market fails to deliver what he's looking for and the chance to win is too good to pass up.
Ag_07
AG
Speaking of rotation arms...Where does Martes fit into the equation?

Showed a bunch of potential last year but also showed that he's got some glaring issues. Is he an arm we look at dealing while he has value?
. . .
AustinCountyAg
Go get Gerritt and make it happen while the iron is hot. Back 2 Back would be nice.....If that means trading Tucker, trade him. Granted he has been good at every level, BUT we aren't the yankees. To bet on him tearing it up at the MLB level the way he has in the minors is a bet I am not willing to take. Let someone else do it if it means we get a proven starter like Gerrit. A pitching staff like we currently have is borderline a once in a generation type of deal. Go after the damn thing.
coastalAg
AG
I would trade Tucker for Archer or Cole. I think he has a lot of upside, but at the end of the day its a lot easier to find a corner outfielder than it is a top of the rotation pitcher.
Ag_07
AG
While I generally tend to agree with this and am not one that leans to the 'stockpile for the future' philosophy I'm just not sure adding Cole is worth giving up Tucker.

Also keep in mind Tucker will play a important role in the future if Springer walks in the coming years. He could be our Springer replacement.
AustinCountyAg
coastalAg said:

I would trade Tucker for Archer or Cole. I think he has a lot of upside, but at the end of the day its a lot easier to find a corner outfielder than it is a top of the rotation pitcher.
Mr.Ackar07
I would think a Cole or Archer trade would include 2 MLB ready starters such as Paulino and Brady Rodgers or Martes and Brady Rodgers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.