Astros offseason thread

343,274 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Understatement of the year on the Rangers thread.

Talking about Yu, "he apparently tips pitches from time-to-time".
rosco511
AG
But he also missed about 40 games 3 of the 4 seasons.
Farmer1906
AG
rosco511 said:

DHing him would probably help resolve that some.
TXAggie2011
AG
rosco511 said:

He missed games in 2014 because he signed a minor league contract and started the season in AAA.

In 2016, he hurt his elbow running into the outfield wall and in 2017, he sprained his foot in spring training.

Maybe he's just made of porcelain, but it seems more like bad luck rather than something to be worried about. They're not recurring issues or wear and tear structural issues.
Agnzona
I'm thinking this years FA mess is playing into the Astros favor. A 1 year rent a player seems very doable. From the players standpoint get a shot at a ring, make 15 plus million and the see what next years market does.
BowSowy
AG
Farmer1906 said:

0 chance Tucker is in that deal.
This. Realmuto is a good catcher, but it's seemed pretty clear that this FO views Tucker as our future. No way he's traded for Realmuto.
astros4545
AG
Gattis/McCann is a better catching hitter than realmuto

Realmuto had a 110 WRC last year
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Saw that Mchugh is linked to the Os in trade rumors. Now if they could pull Britton in that deal that would be pretty sweet.
07ag
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Saw that Mchugh is linked to the Os in trade rumors. Now if they could pull Britton in that deal that would be pretty sweet.
https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-zach-britton-has-achilles-injury/c-263808464

nah, no thanks
Farmer1906
AG
07ag said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

nah, no thanks
I think it would be worth the risk. McHugh is a nice back end of the rotation piece that doesn't have a spot in this rotation and to be honest I would like to give the younger guys a shot to become depth pieces since they still might have a future in Houston. Sure there is a lot of risks, but in what would does McHugh bring back a high-end starter? He may be the perfect 2nd half postseason boost the bullpen.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Totally forgot about the injury. To trade Mchugh I'd want Someone to help this season and at least the next season.
The Milkman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

07ag said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

nah, no thanks
I think it would be worth the risk. McHugh is a nice back end of the rotation piece that doesn't have a spot in this rotation and to be honest I would like to give the younger guys a shot to become depth pieces since they still might have a future in Houston. Sure there is a lot of risks, but in what would does McHugh bring back a high-end starter? He may be the perfect 2nd half postseason boost the bullpen.
I'd want a handful of prospects too in order to restock what we've given away with our last few trades
Mathguy64
AG
Right now McHugh looks like he's expendable. I keep him for at least half the year. Last year we had Keuchel, LMJ, Musgrove and Morton all out at various times. At one point I think 3 of them were out at the same time. You need starting depth. I know Peacock is there to fill in, but I want a second guy just in case 2 starters are down at the same time. Keuchel and LMJ both have shown they are prone to health issues. I want that depth.
Ag_07
AG
McHugh alone won't give us a handful of prospects. And honestly I don't think we've given much away in our last few trades.

Daz, Franklin Perez, Jake Rogers in the JV deal and Musgrove, Feliz, Moran in the Cole deal. That's what's insane about those two deals. They kept our future intact.

Britton is a FA after 2018 and will miss the first few months of the season. McHugh is worth more than half a season of a guy coming off an Achilles injury.
gougler08
AG
mathguy86 said:

Right now McHugh looks like he's expendable. I keep him for at least half the year. Last year we had Keuchel, LMJ, Musgrove and Morton all out at various times. At one point I think 3 of them were out at the same time. You need starting depth. I know Peacock is there to fill in, but I want a second guy just in case 2 starters are down at the same time. Keuchel and LMJ both have shown they are prone to health issues. I want that depth.
To me, it seems like a waste of a roster spot if he won't contribute much in the pen and is only there in case of injury. We can use Martes, Peacock and that guy that got suspended if need be
Mr.Ackar07
mathguy86 said:

Especially since we can't rely on Fiers anymore to fill the voids.
rosco511
AG
Farmer1906 said:

rosco511 said:

VBut he also missed about 40 games 3 of the 4 seasons.
DHing him would probably help resolve that some.
I have not dove into the numbers or reviewed attempted valuations on the topic, but I have hard time believing anyone who is primarily a DH is really worth $25+ million a year unless that person is putting up top 3 offensive numbers.
CFTXAG10
AG
Report tomorrow. Workout Wednesday.

Ag_07
AG
I saw that Dallas has been down there for a month working out on his own.

They showed him on TV at the Rockets game in Miami last week and he's got a full sleeve tat on his right arm. Hopefully he strayed away from inking his last name down his arm.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

I like McHugh. I think he was under appreciated a few years ago. But when it came down to it, the team didn't trust McHugh in the postseason. I don't think he's ever more than what he's proven to be over the last few years.

If we get hit with injuries I would rather risk taking a few extra Ls to get experience for someone like say Forrest, JB, Paulino, Martes, Perez, Valdez, or Martin.I know most these guys probably aren't ready yet (Martes & Paulino as the exceptions here), but finding out what we have with these guys will be important with Dallas hitting the FA market after next year.

tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjholley17 said:

I'm headed to Chicago for my first ever business trip this week (I graduated In May) ... should I wear my Verlander world champions jersey to my Wrigley field tour?
Absolutely, you should.

https://twitter.com/TannerHolley16/status/962410699942170624/photo/2
Farmer1906
AG
Orbit just came to my office to surprise a co-worker for an early Vday present. I may or may not have known about it in advance and busted out a jersey and got a pic before.
bullard21k
AG
You don't work at a school do you? We had orbit show up to my girlfriends sisters work to suprise her.
mAgnoliAg
AG
bullard21k said:

You don't work at a school do you? We had orbit show up to my girlfriends sisters work to suprise her.

Another successful Texags hookup
shano0603
AG
W said:

shano0603 said:

rosco511 said:

So reports are that JD Martinez is "fed" up with a 5 year, $125 million offer from the Red Sox. This crop of free agents just screams entitled if a $25 million per year offer for basically a DH (because he is not a serviceable defender) with injury history makes that player "fed up."
come to the astros for 1 year/30 million and then test the free agent market whenever there's more money.
it seems like J.D. Martinez has forgotten that he's J.D. Martinez. He's had one great year and now he thinks he's a $25MM to $30MM player worthy of a 6 or 7-year contract

1 good year? He's a .300 hitter.... he hit 45 homers in just 490 plate appearances last season. I'd bring him back in a heartbeat if we could afford it.
shano0603
AG
bullard21k said:

Rule 1 dude. Wtf
gougler08
AG
shano0603 said:

bullard21k said:

Rule 1 dude. Wtf
I figured we'd all seen Orbit by now, but here you go:

Ag_07
AG
Anyone happen to catch this tweet by Jose de Jesus regarding the Cards signing of Bud Norris?

Thought that was interesting.
gougler08
AG
Ag_07 said:

Anyone happen to catch this tweet by Jose de Jesus regarding the Cards signing of Bud Norris?

I like that he has the balls to actually go talk to the team/player after he writes something harsh (which I guess he is alluding that he will do shortly)
Ag_07
AG
No doubt.

Also thought it was ballsy for a beat writer to call out a player and the team he covers like that.
JJxvi
AG
Norris will fit in with the no fun allowed Cardinal way like a pig in *****
AstroAggie15
AG
Remember when ole Bud criticized how Managment was handling the team?

Well, how many WS rings does he have?
Mr.Ackar07
What if Jeff Luhnow trolled the Cardinals by leaving false information for the Cardinals to hack about how great Norris is?
dcaggie04
AG
gougler08 said:

Ag_07 said:

I like that he has the balls to actually go talk to the team/player after he writes something harsh (which I guess he is alluding that he will do shortly)
Ortiz was one of the few HoF voters who didn't vote for Chipper. His reason was he thought Chipper was a despicable person outside baseball. Mainly because he said something about taking the gators from florida and putting them in the Rio to slow down the illegal immigrants from coming over.
TREX01
Also, f*** Bud Norris.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.