Astros offseason thread

334,667 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't wait to see what moves we make to go back to back
AustinAg2K
Hopefully we move back to the NL now.
Schrute
Err'body coming back
k20dub
AG
Is this official?
Ecce Homo
how do I know this is official without asterisks?
E
AG
The players who aren't under arbitration and are Free Agents this winter are Beltran, Gregerson, Clippard, Liriano, and Maybin....

I like our chances to do something great again!
ag50
AG
are you serious, Correa, Bregman, Peacock, Musgrove, McCullers, Giles, Gonzales, Springer, Gattis, Kuechel, are all due Arbitration and Altuve has a team option at 6mil. The first six named all played for league minimum last year and had 1 year deals.

Ownership will have to really step up payroll, probably double to triple at least to keep everyone happy.
KC_Ag14
AG
WB91 said:

are you serious, Correa, Bregman, Peacock, Musgrove, McCullers, Giles, Gonzales, Springer, Gattis, Kuechel, are all due Arbitration and Altuve has a team option at 6mil. The first six named all played for league minimum last year and had 1 year deals.

Ownership will have to really step up payroll, probably double to triple at least to keep everyone happy.

"These guys are young, they're here, they're going to be here next year. I think we're going to be the team to beat next year." -Jeff Luhnow after the game last night.

JL doesn't appear to concerned.
ag50
AG
Correa and Bregman made 550k last year, Springer 3.9m, Kuechel 9m, ask their agents if there playing next year for that amount
E
AG
WB91 said:

Correa and Bregman made 550k last year, Springer 3.9m, Kuechel 9m, ask their agents if there playing next year for that amount
What do their contracts say?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Page One!

Go 'Stros!
Ag_07
AG
Their agents can ask for a raise all they want.
BowSowy
AG
WB91 said:

Correa, Bregman, Musgrove, and McCullers aren't set for arbitration next year.
Ecce Homo
WB91 said:

Dude, we have the 18th highest payroll in MLB, that's average; but we're not going to double or triple the payroll. Triple would be a payroll of over half a billion dollars.
Ecce Homo
Altuve has a $6,000,000 team option for next year; and a 6.5 million dollar team option the year after that?? DAMN!!
matthop
AG
I think it goes without question that we need to bolster our bullpen and a legitimate closer.
Ecce Homo
So let's talk rotation...I'm guessing:

Verlander
Keuchel
Morton
Peacock
McCullers

no more room for McHugh? Do we put him in the bullpen?
Ecce Homo
Also,

here are the estimated arbitration numbers; don't look too bad. Springer still a steal at 9,000,000

• Marwin Gonzalez (5.133) $7.7MM (Astros have $5.125MM club option).
  • Dallas Keuchel (5.089) $12.6MM
  • Evan Gattis (5.000) $6.6MM
  • Mike Fiers (4.085) $5.7MM
  • Collin McHugh (4.085) $4.8MM
  • George Springer (3.166) $8.9MM
  • Brad Peacock (3.165) $2.9MM
  • Jake Marisnick (3.145) $2.0MM
  • Ken Giles (3.113) $5.0MM
  • Lance McCullers (2.140) $2.6MM
ag50
AG
That payroll figure is because Verlander is due 56 mil over the next two years, take that away and what is the ranking, also excuse the technicality, those players are pre-arbitration, but were on 1 year deals this year, all I'm saying is that ownership will have to step up or a lot of these guys will be gone soon.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Need a top end lefty reliever. If he can also close, even better. If he can't close, need a Giles replacement.

I'm really interested to see what Luhnow does with the rotation. Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers, Morton, McHugh, Peacock, Fiers and Martes are all under contract. My guess is we go with a rotation of Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers, Morton and McHugh, use Peacock in long relief and for spot starts, trade Fiers, and use Martes as a back end reliever that throws gas.
ag50
AG
You just made my point, that's close to a 45 mil increase from this year, without addressing Bregman and Correa making the league minimum
E
AG
Dude, we are fine. No need to go to the cliffs.

Yes we all get it, the management will have to shell out some big bucks for contracts over the next 1-5 years. But for this offseason, they don't have to address much. I bet we won't even be a top-8 payroll next year...
W
AG
not sure there is room on the roster for all the pitchers mentioned above if Fiers and Martes make the 25-man.

also don't think there is room for both Maybin and Marisnick. However Beltran's 457 at-bats will be up for grabs in 2018.

will be interesting to see how Tucker looks in spring training
Farmer1906
AG
It's hard to keep 5 starters healthy all year. I am sure we'll need 6 or 7 throughout the year.

Wade Davis the best FA reliever, but he's going to command 15+ M a year. Jansen & Melancon are getting 15.5 & 16 each with 4 and 5 year deals. Davis is a little older than those guys so many he's not quite as expensive or his deal isn't quite as long.

We may get back into a Zach Britton deal with the Os. We were so damn close in the season. He's younger and entering his final year of arb.

I would also like another power bat. I want a guy who we thought Beltran was going to be. Maybe someone like Jay Bruce, Logan Morrison, or Matt Holliday.

Tucker, Perez, & Whitley are still probably a year away. Paulino will get another shot next year. Am I missing another else banging on the door of the MLB?
Ecce Homo
WB91 said:

You just made my point, that's close to a 45 mil increase from this year, without addressing Bregman and Correa making the league minimum
i'm getting a 20 million increase from the players above due to arbitration; and we're going to be looking at saving a ton on Beltran and Liriano who are costing us a combined $30,000,000. I think we actually save a few million on Yuli as well.

I don't see anything drastic happening with the salaries; unless we shell out some big bucks to lock up some of the young stars for the future.
W
AG
so counting the pitchers:

1. Keuchel
2. Verlander
3. Morton
4. LMj
5. Peacock
6. McHugh
7. Giles
8. Harris
9. Devo
10. Musgrove
11. Fiers
12. Martes
13. Gregerson
14. lefty reliever

that's a couple too many
Agnzona
Any idea what this does for the value of the franchise and also future revenue?
AustinAg2K
Morton, McHugh, and Peacock seem like possible trade pieces to get bullpen help. We have an abundance of #3 and #4 starters. Morton and Peacock's trade value will be especially high right now. Do you expect them to be able to repeat their success? I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them traded.
irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's hard to keep 5 starters healthy all year. I am sure we'll need 6 or 7 throughout the year.

Wade Davis the best FA reliever, but he's going to command 15+ M a year. Jansen & Melancon are getting 15.5 & 16 each with 4 and 5 year deals. Davis is a little older than those guys so many he's not quite as expensive or his deal isn't quite as long.

We may get back into a Zach Britton deal with the Os. We were so damn close in the season. He's younger and entering his final year of arb.

I would also like another power bat. I want a guy who we thought Beltran was going to be. Maybe someone like Jay Bruce, Logan Morrison, or Matt Holliday.

Tucker, Perez, & Whitley are still probably a year away. Paulino will get another shot next year. Am I missing another else banging on the door of the MLB?

I think you'll mainly see bullpen help sought through trades or signings. I am interested to see what a healthy Colin Moran could do splitting reps at 1B/3B/DH
tremble
AG
I'd keep Liriano honestly over some of the other arms. He showed up pretty big in the postseason and he's just adjusting to being a reliever.

Tough choices to make. Gotta think Fiers is done and maybe one of Gregersen/Harris
Basketball and Chain
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Morton, McHugh, and Peacock seem like possible trade pieces to get bullpen help. We have an abundance of #3 and #4 starters. Morton and Peacock's trade value will be especially high right now. Do you expect them to be able to repeat their success? I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them traded.

Out of that group, I really only would want to trade McHugh. Peacock brings a lot of value with his ability to be effective from the pen and as a starter. And Morton's upside is unreal for his small $7 mil salary.
Ecce Homo
tremble said:

I'd keep Liriano honestly over some of the other arms. He showed up pretty big in the postseason and he's just adjusting to being a reliever.

Tough choices to make. Gotta think Fiers is done and maybe one of Gregersen/Harris
Maybe if he takes 1/4 of his salary.
screw-tu
Here!
AustinAg2K
Basketball and Chain said:

AustinAg2K said:

Out of that group, I really only would want to trade McHugh. Peacock brings a lot of value with his ability to be effective from the pen and as a starter. And Morton's upside is unreal for his small $7 mil salary.
That's certainly true, but it also depends on what you can get in return. If you can get a top line closer, it could be worth losing Morton.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Starting pitching is at a premium.

I know you're calling these guys #3 and #4 type starters, but they all just had strong years.

Morton
14-7 W-L
3.46 FIP
3.62 ERA
1.19 WHIP

McHugh
5-1 W-L
3.82 FIP
3.55 ERA
1.29 WHIP

Peacock
13-2 W-L
3.07 FIP
3.00 ERA
1.189 WHIP

I want an army of guys like this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.