Astros offseason thread

337,158 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah it was at BAL. I just remember thinking 'How the fck was able to flip the switch to game mode and come in mid-count and not just get a hit, but put us in the lead with a bomb?'

Not to mention the clutch GS against the Rangers and him absolutely owning them, the HR in LA to tie Gm 2, and countless other times Marwin came through in big situations.

If he had a dedicated position (or played for CHI, LA, or NY) he'd have been an AS last year.
CFTXAG10
AG
NotGibbs
Ag_07 said:

Just because it was mentioned in that article

And it's awesome

I will never not blue star that gif. So if anyone is ever looking to run up their blue star count...
W
AG
Frok said:

So Cole didn't happen. I really dislike major league baseball rumor reporters. They seem to jump the gun and get it wrong all the time.

I gave up on Peter Gammons 15 years ago when he reported the Biggio to the Braves deal. Never happened of course
Bulldog73
AG

Test
Bulldog73
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Ackar07
Ag_07 said:

Yeah it was at BAL. I just remember thinking 'How the fck was able to flip the switch to game mode and come in mid-count and not just get a hit, but put us in the lead with a bomb?'

Not to mention the clutch GS against the Rangers and him absolutely owning them, the HR in LA to tie Gm 2, and countless other times Marwin came through in big situations.

If he had a dedicated position (or played for CHI, LA, or NY) he'd have been an AS last year.
Not to mention he put it out on to Eutaw street which will get him a plaque:

CFTXAG10
AG
MelvinUdall
CFTXAG10 said:

Like it, his bat improved and if he can improve some more with the bat this season he is an excellent bench guy to have for defensive replacement moves as well spot starting to give OF's rest during the season.
Mr.Bond
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Ag_07 said:

Not to mention he put it out on to Eutaw street which will get him a plaque:

How many other players have them? Kind of unique for a visiting player to get that honor
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

DriftwoodAg
AG
DriftwoodAg
AG
here's the interactive site, pretty cool
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/oriolepark/eutaw.jsp
Mathguy64
AG

Beau Bevers
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Beau Bevers said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Quote:

Designated hitter: The Astros led the AL in runs, even though they received poor production here, as their DHs (mostly Carlos Beltran) hit just .225/.285/.385. They don't have a full-time DH on the roster, and with Derek Fisher ready to get more time in the outfield, it could be a rotation among backup catcher Evan Gattis and the other regulars getting a day off in the field. Or maybe Fisher is part of a trade to land Cole or to acquire Christian Yelich to play left field. How about this lineup:

Springer, CF
Yelich, LF
Altuve, 2B
Correa, SS
Bregman, 3B
Yuri Gurriel, 1B
Josh Reddick, RF
Evan Gattis/Marwin Gonzalez, DH
Brian McCann, C

DHing Marwin makes zero sense. His versatility defensively is what makes him so valuable.
It's a snapshot of an example lineup, not a concrete plan for the entire year. The takeaway here is the effect that adding Yelich would have. In the above scenario, who would you take out to insert Marwin in the field? The answer is you wouldn't. Marwin's value increases when any one of those guys gets a day off. Since nobody gets the day off in a hypothetical lineup where everyone is full strength on opening day, Marwin is the DH.

That's fair enough. I just don't think Marwin's value to the club is utilized when he's the DH 75% of the time with no roster changes. An established LF certainly changes that. Just an opinion.
Mathguy64
AG
Big Puma is in the list twice.
YellAg2004
AG
Ag_07 said:

To be fair, he takes so long in between pitches, he had roughly 5 min. from the time he was called on to flip the switch to HR.
Prosperdick
AG
Luke Scott on their 6 times and Kevin Bass with the 5th HR ever to hit the street (couldn't tell if he had his picture on his wristband or not...probably not).
Mr.Bond
AG
Guessing Luke got all those as a member of the orioles
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

aTm2004
AG
If you have time to kill and want to look at gifs of our World Series Champion Houston Astros...

http://m.mlb.com/gif-download-video-embed-hub#q=Astros
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Blahhead
AggieDem said:

Just a heads up if you're trying to get a picture with the trophy while it's on tour: Go early (like 5 hours early) to get your number for the line or you won't get to have your picture taken.

My sons and I got to Academy in Austin at 3:30 for the 5pm event and ended up with numbers 290-292 out of 300. I'd guess only about 175-200 people actually made it to the autograph/trophy area before they shut it down. There were easily 500+ people in line. That's a lot of disappointed fans.

We got there at 2:35 and were around 100 when they gave out placeholders. Yeah, it was slow, but you have to know what you were getting into. The media interviews, and all the other crap ate up autograph time, but you should have been there earlier.
agproducer
AG
I'm still feeling like this after the WS win.

BMX Bandit
Michael Kay reporting Yankees offered Yu 7 years/$160mm. offer pulled after he didn't accept in 48 hours.
gigemJTH12
AG
Ag_07 said:

And it's awesome
I was sitting behind our dugout for this and had an awesome view of it.

As soon as that happened I turned to my dad and said "that just changed the series. Its over."

sure enough.
gigemJTH12
AG

Quote:

And it's awesome
I was sitting behind our dugout for this and had an awesome view of it.

As soon as that happened I turned to my dad and said "that just changed the series. Its over."

sure enough.
k20dub
AG
So we should probably hear some Cole news today. According to the tweet the other day, anyways.
Ag_07
AG
I would think if it's after his arbitration case is resolved then the price has fallen.
Mathguy64
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Michael Kay reporting Yankees offered Yu 7 years/$160mm. offer pulled after he didn't accept in 48 hours.
Either that didnt happen or Darvish and his agent are idiots. I mean Forrest Gump level idiots. Giving a pitcher who is 31+ years old a 7 year deal is insane.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Either that didnt happen or Darvish and his agent are idiots. I mean Forrest Gump level idiots. Giving a pitcher who is 31+ years old a 7 year deal is insane.

Lester, Verlander, & Price all got 6-7 years deals at 30 ranging from 26-31 M per. I would say Yu isn't as good as any of them leading up to the deal, but there is a market set. Now I would guess just about every team regrets that contract. Maybe the market will learn. I could see a ~23 M per year evaluation, but you only give him that 4-5 tops.
mwm
It might be that it's the Yankees that are (financially) insane...
klsmith89
AG
Yeah, there's no way. That would have made him the, what, 6th or 7th highest paid pitcher in the league?? After a couple of disappointing seasons?

But then again, maybe the Yankees got desperate after they figured they lost out on Cole.
Farmer1906
AG
160 M puts you at 8th in total and 10th per year for starting pitchers.
WES2006AG
AG
BMX Bandit said:

If this is true his agent has got to be beside himself this morning.
Mathguy64
AG
I would dance a jig if any contender (or the Rangers) signed Yu Darvish to a 7 year contract.
AustinCountyAg
mathguy86 said:

I would dance a jig if any contender (or the Rangers) signed Yu Darvish to a 7 year contract.
this^^^^

you would think the yankees would've learned their lesson by now by giving older dudes stupid money for a stupid amount of years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.