Astros offseason thread

338,701 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like what Cole could be for us here... but no Whitley, no Tucker.
rosco511
AG
Farmer1906 said:

rosco511 said:

And do not forget all the talking heads who were berating the Astros for making Bregman an untouchable so that it prevented us from getting Sale.
The talking heads and a lot of fans on here knew we needed pitching to win a WS. If it took Bregman to get it then so be it. It just happen to workout we didn't have to give up nearly as much and still landed more pitching. However, Verlander is a shorter term (well worth it) option. Cole & Archer would be a little longer term options even with Cole only under contract 2 more years.

But not "so be it," because we most likely do not win the World Series if Bregman is not on the team. He was a critical part of the team, and we kept him and still added pitching. The point being is that you have to ultimately stay true to your beliefs on value. Simply adding an "ace," does not guarantee anything.
Farmer1906
AG
rosco511 said:

Farmer1906 said:

rosco511 said:

And do not forget all the talking heads who were berating the Astros for making Bregman an untouchable so that it prevented us from getting Sale.
The talking heads and a lot of fans on here knew we needed pitching to win a WS. If it took Bregman to get it then so be it. It just happen to workout we didn't have to give up nearly as much and still landed more pitching. However, Verlander is a shorter term (well worth it) option. Cole & Archer would be a little longer term options even with Cole only under contract 2 more years.

But not "so be it," because we most likely do not win the World Series if Bregman is not on the team. He was a critical part of the team, and we kept him and still added pitching. The point being is that you have to ultimately stay true to your beliefs on value. Simply adding an "ace," does not guarantee anything.

Who's to say we don't get Sale lock in the #1 seed. Sweep the Yankees and then beat Minnesota on the way to the WS. We don't know what would happen with Sale for a full year. Could go any way. I feel 100% more confident saying we would not have won a WS without Verlander being added.
Prosperdick
AG
Bregman looks special and he has "it." Those type of players don't come around very often. I'm not saying Sale wouldn't have been good for us but I don't know who could have replicated what Bregman provided us down the stretch.
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe so. He's a stud. Glad it worked the way it did.
CFTXAG10
AG
Got my merch and gift card from Dick's today. Looks like they made good on their promise
rosco511
AG
And we beat Sale twice in the process, so he is definitely no guarantee either. Yes, we needed pitching, but we also wisely held onto Bregman and still got the pitching help we needed.
AG@RICE
AG
rosco511 said:

And we beat Sale twice in the process, so he is definitely no guarantee either. Yes, we needed pitching, but we also wisely held onto Bregman and still got the pitching help we needed.
Bregman actually homered off of Sale in both of those games.
512Ag
AG
Just a heads up if you're trying to get a picture with the trophy while it's on tour: Go early (like 5 hours early) to get your number for the line or you won't get to have your picture taken.

My sons and I got to Academy in Austin at 3:30 for the 5pm event and ended up with numbers 290-292 out of 300. I'd guess only about 175-200 people actually made it to the autograph/trophy area before they shut it down. There were easily 500+ people in line. That's a lot of disappointed fans.
Kashchei
AG
Damn, wanted to see in SA tomorrow. Guess not.
512Ag
AG
You probably don't actually have to get your number 5 hours early, but I'd definitely recommend 2-3 hours early. If it's run like the one in Austin, you do not have to stay in line after getting your number. You can come back and line up just prior to the event.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I was there too. I didn't get to stand next to it either. I did get a pic with the trophy in the background. So it was something
512Ag
AG
Same. When the guy from Academy said there was a chance our end of the line wouldn't make it up front I walked up and snapped a couple of pictures of just the trophy.

On a whim, we headed over to the Long Center afterward and walked up just as the guys were unloading it from its case. They let my boys take a quick peek, so that was cool. Even though we didn't get to take a picture right next to it, my 5 year old was very excited to have been able to "see a trophy for the first time."

Ag_07
AG
Damn I see the Mets landed Jay Bruce for $10MM in 2018 and $13MM in both 2019 and 2020.

Think that's pretty reasonable seeing as he's only 31.

Would love to have signed him as a full time DH.
Frok
AG
So Cole didn't happen. I really dislike major league baseball rumor reporters. They seem to jump the gun and get it wrong all the time.

Prosperdick
AG
Frok said:

So Cole didn't happen. I really dislike major league baseball rumor reporters. They seem to jump the gun and get it wrong all the time.

Do we know for sure or are there further discussions? I know the Yanks want him as well...maybe they're hoping for better prospects.
txag614
Frok said:

It is really annoying.
k20dub
AG
After Carmelo Anthony and Aranda were both a "done deal", I've learned my lesson not to get my hopes up until the ink is dry.
CFTXAG10
AG
Wouldn't surprise me the slightest if we had a deal on the table that was about to get done. Word gets out via rumors on social media and then teams start to call Pittsburgh with other offers so they get cold feet. Instead of reporting the details of our offer they just say "nothing was ever imminent"
shano0603
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Wouldn't surprise me the slightest if we had a deal on the table that was about to get done. Word gets out via rumors on social media and then teams start to call Pittsburgh with other offers so they get cold feet. Instead of reporting the details of our offer they just say "nothing was ever imminent"

Or the Pirates leak a Fake Story to try and get other teams to make an offer.
DVC2010
AG
Hey guys! Remember that time Edwin Encarnacion signed with the Astros?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
One Piece Away From Best Team Ever?
Frok
AG
shano0603 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Or the Pirates leak a Fake Story to try and get other teams to make an offer.

If that is the case I would be pissed if I was the reporter. Going forward I would demand better confirmation to reduce the risk of running fake news.
Ag_07
AG
Just because it was mentioned in that article

And it's awesome
Gramercy Riffs
AG

Quote:

Designated hitter: The Astros led the AL in runs, even though they received poor production here, as their DHs (mostly Carlos Beltran) hit just .225/.285/.385. They don't have a full-time DH on the roster, and with Derek Fisher ready to get more time in the outfield, it could be a rotation among backup catcher Evan Gattis and the other regulars getting a day off in the field. Or maybe Fisher is part of a trade to land Cole or to acquire Christian Yelich to play left field. How about this lineup:

Springer, CF
Yelich, LF
Altuve, 2B
Correa, SS
Bregman, 3B
Yuri Gurriel, 1B
Josh Reddick, RF
Evan Gattis/Marwin Gonzalez, DH
Brian McCann, C

Mathguy64
AG
I literally laugh every time I see that .gif. I dont know that I have ever seen a ML hitter look that bad swinging and missing.
irish pete ag06
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Quote:

Designated hitter: The Astros led the AL in runs, even though they received poor production here, as their DHs (mostly Carlos Beltran) hit just .225/.285/.385. They don't have a full-time DH on the roster, and with Derek Fisher ready to get more time in the outfield, it could be a rotation among backup catcher Evan Gattis and the other regulars getting a day off in the field. Or maybe Fisher is part of a trade to land Cole or to acquire Christian Yelich to play left field. How about this lineup:

Springer, CF
Yelich, LF
Altuve, 2B
Correa, SS
Bregman, 3B
Yuri Gurriel, 1B
Josh Reddick, RF
Brian McCann, C

Call me crazy, but a Colin Moran and Evan Gattis platoon at DH will kill at DH (especially in comparison to those numbers).

I'm really high on Moran's bat right now.

Strangely enough, Gattis's career splits are almost identical in regards to LHP (114 wRC+) and RHP (112 wRC+).
Beau Bevers
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Quote:

Springer, CF
Yelich, LF
Altuve, 2B
Correa, SS
Bregman, 3B
Yuri Gurriel, 1B
Josh Reddick, RF
Brian McCann, C

DHing Marwin makes zero sense. His versatility defensively is what makes him so valuable.
MelvinUdall
Sure it does, it assures is that Marwin is in the lineup in most of not all games and when he is not DH'ing, you have Gattis at DH and Marwin in the field.
WES2006AG
AG
k20dub said:

After Carmelo Anthony and Aranda were both a "done deal", I've learned my lesson not to get my hopes up until the ink is dry.
Don't forget the done deal for Chris Bosh a few years ago as well.
E
AG
Marwin is a fantastic super utility for THIS team, on other teams he would be an everyday position player. Outside of maybe Yuli, who on the team is he that much better then defensively that he could see starting playing time over? He should be used as primary DH, and then field starts when pitching matchups favor him.

He is still basically used as a starter this way. Last year he logged 515 plate appearances, which is basically startes amount.
Ag_07
AG
Talking Marwin's value automatically makes me think to the game that Moran went down.

Marwin comes off the bench to PH for Moran after he took the foul to the face. He comes in dead ass cold, mid count, works it full, then rips a HR to give us the lead.

That was one of the best PHs I've ever seen. To come through in that situation epitomizes how valuable Marwin is to this team.
BowSowy
AG
Beau Bevers said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Quote:

Springer, CF
Yelich, LF
Altuve, 2B
Correa, SS
Bregman, 3B
Yuri Gurriel, 1B
Josh Reddick, RF
Brian McCann, C

DHing Marwin makes zero sense. His versatility defensively is what makes him so valuable.
I mean, do you want that list to look like this?

Spriger/Marwin
Yelich/Marwin
Altuve/Marwin
Correa/Marwin
Bregman/Marwin
Gurriel/Marwin
Reddick/Marwin
Gattis/Marwin
McCann

Marwin will play some DH but we all know that's not where he'd be most of the time.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Beau Bevers said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Quote:

Springer, CF
Yelich, LF
Altuve, 2B
Correa, SS
Bregman, 3B
Yuri Gurriel, 1B
Josh Reddick, RF
Brian McCann, C

It's a snapshot of an example lineup, not a concrete plan for the entire year. The takeaway here is the effect that adding Yelich would have. In the above scenario, who would you take out to insert Marwin in the field? The answer is you wouldn't. Marwin's value increases when any one of those guys gets a day off. Since nobody gets the day off in a hypothetical lineup where everyone is full strength on opening day, Marwin is the DH.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Talking Marwin's value automatically makes me think to the game that Moran went down.

Marwin comes off the bench to PH for Moran after he took the foul to the face. He comes in dead ass cold, mid count, works it full, then rips a HR to give us the lead.

That was one of the best PHs I've ever seen. To come through in that situation epitomizes how valuable Marwin is to this team.
I remember the AB but forget the opponent - was that Baltimore? I remember Marwin hitting a bomb there, but I don't recall if it was the Moran situation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.