Astros offseason thread

339,207 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't want to lose Gattis. Probably just because he is one of my favorites off the field and has a great story.

I just don't trust that the version of Lucroy that was in Colorado is truly the version we would get next year. If it is, then it's a no-brainer to platoon him with McCann.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I'd have a hard time rooting for him. Always thought he had a real punchable face. With that in mind, maybe he should be a Dodger instead.
E
AG
Lucroy would definitely be an upgrade over Gattis. Lucroy would become our best defensive catcher as he can throw guys out...

Outside of a down year with the Rangers, he has a great bat.
W
AG
Lucroy should be able to finding a starting job with one of the 30 teams.

he'll turn 32 years old in June. I would tend to think his best days are behind him.

I would pass especially if he wants $10 MM
W
AG
as an aside...when thinking about all the possible free agents...I go back to Detroit's roster at the trade deadline last year.

they had 7 players 30 years or older making between $11 MM and $28 MM per year. That's just too much money tied up in old guys.

Luhnow has done a nice job managing the roster such that the Astros (as of now) will only have 4 players that meet that criteria in 2018. (Yuli, Reddick, McCann, Verlander) And only JV is on the books for more than $13 MM
Farmer1906
AG
mAgnoliAg
AG
Wow didn't see this thread until now
shano0603
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Hard to find without the stars in the title.
AFDave13
AG
shano0603 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

I seriously never realized how often I relied upon the stars until this thread
NotGibbs
Farmer1906 said:

I don't see Briton getting traded at all, much less to the Astros. It seemed like there was definitely a solid agreement (read good return for the O's) in place during the spring, and then ownership came in and nixed the deal. They're either expecting way too much, or they don't want to trade away the big names on the team that the average fan would recognize

And I especially doubt the Astros will waste their time
Farmer1906
AG
Go waste some more time. We may end up with a great LHP that can close.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Go waste some more time. We may end up with a great LHP that can close.

For even cheaper since his season was cut short by injury.

I also think we have the starting pitching assets they would want to make something happen. That rotation was historically bad and we have an abundance of starters both on the 40 man and in the system.
shano0603
AG
AFDave13 said:

shano0603 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Can we make a new thread?

Or

-Staff, can you please change the thread title to ***** Official Astros Offseason Thread*****
Farmer1906
AG
shano0603 said:

AFDave13 said:

shano0603 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Or

-Staff, can you please change the thread title to ***** Official Astros Offseason Thread*****

I vote no new thread.
Ag_07
AG
shano0603 said:

We had 2 threads last year and didn't make the playoffs. We had one thread this year and won the whole fckin thing.

No one ever make new threads. EVER
Bulldog73
AG
TREX can fix the thread title by editing it, but yes, it does need some stars up there.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Bulldog73 said:

TREX can fix the thread title by editing it, but yes, it does need some stars up there.

No he can't. That's only if nobody has posted
E
AG
No new thread... this one is perfect jsut the way it is
Farmer1906
AG
E said:

No new thread... this one is perfect jsut the way it is
Disagree

"WORLD CHAMPION Astros offseason thread" has a better ring to it.
shano0603
AG
Ag_07 said:

shano0603 said:

We had 2 threads last year and didn't make the playoffs. We had one thread this year and won the whole fckin thing.

No one ever make new threads. EVER

Those were season threads. This is offseason.
Ag_07
AG
I hesitate to post this because of the source (NY Post) but my god could you imagine.

Quote:

I played a game with a few executives when it came to Giancarlo Stanton forget about where he wants to go (since he has a no-trade clause) and who might be able to afford him (since he is owed $295 million the next 10 years) and asked them to come up with the most interesting landing spot.

Mine?

The champion Astros.

Can you imagine the Murderers' Row impact of putting Stanton in the lineup that already was the best in the majors last year with Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman, Carlos Correa and George Springer?

Can you imagine the 70-plus homer potential of Stanton with that lineup protection shooting at the oh-so-close Crawford Boxes in left at Minute Maid Park?

Quote:

So I asked Astros owner Jim Crane about doing it and he said, "Don't think we haven't thought about how easily the ball would go out in our ballpark."

Crane mentioned the danger of absorbing 10-year deals. He cited that the Astros already expect a big bump in payroll with a full season of Justin Verlander on the books and nine arbitration-eligible players. Plus, on the horizon the contracts of Correa, Bregman and Springer will go up significantly, while Dallas Keuchel is a free agent after 2018 and Altuve after '19.

Yet, Crane would not fully dismiss the Stanton possibility, though to be fair, a high-ranking team official saw it as against just about every stricture that GM Jeff Luhnow has put in place and, therefore highly unlikely to ever occur.

And the there's this at the end.

Quote:

"We look at everything," Crane said. "[Stanton] does not fit a specific need, but we will go outside the box, too. No one thought we'd take on Verlander and we got that one done by the skin of our teeth. There are only four or five teams that can take on that kind of contract at this time and we are one of them."

While it is referring to Stanton I think this quote bodes well for Altuve that Crane has no problem and maybe even an intention of handing out a contract that big.
titanmaster_race
Stanton's bat in this lineup? With the Crawford boxes right in the path of his pull?

Dios mio
Johnsy3
AG
Springer
Altuve
Stanton
Correa
Marwin
Bregman
Yuli
Reddick
McCann/Gattis?
JDUB08AG
AG
That lineup would be nuts. Holy crap. But man, if it in anyway puts signing our core to long term deals in financial jeopardy, then no way.
Johnsy3
AG
It'll be fine when we win 4 World Series in a row
iBrad
AG
If we took on that kind of contract, Keuchel wouldn't be resigned and Springer would likely be gone, too. Then you'd have to lock up Altuve and Correa to similar deals. You'd probably have close to $100M per season locked up in theee guys if you kept them all.

But, it would be fun to see the HR chase every year. That would probably be the best chance of someone passing Bonds.
cmk10
AG
iBrad said:

If we took on that kind of contract, Keuchel wouldn't be resigned and Springer would likely be gone, too. Then you'd have to lock up Altuve and Correa to similar deals. You'd probably have close to $100M per season locked up in theee guys if you kept them all.

But, it would be fun to see the HR chase every year. That would probably be the best chance of someone passing Bonds.
its not our money, so who cares as long as Crane pays it!!!
NotGibbs
Obviously it's incredibly unlikely, but I guess it's possible. You can completely rule out Keuchel and Springer getting new contracts. You probably would have Kyle Tucker ready to start every day though, so losing Springer wouldn't kill you. The biggest question would be if you'd still have enough money for Correa, Altuve, and a little fatter down the road, Bregman.
Agnzona
I think they FA plan should be to entice superstars that want rings to sign huge, short term deals. Give them 20 to 30 million but only for 1, 2 or 3 years.

Keep the core young guys locked up and veterans will want to come here and win.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
irish pete ag06
AG
The crap talk thread with the Rangers got me wondering to when and what was my first post on here about the Astros. I dug it up.

From this thread titled, "Astros Fans::::Vent your frustrations" on June 8, 2007

Quote:

I agree about Purpura. My patience has worn extremely thin with him.

I can already see what's going to happen. We go something like 17-13 over this stretch... then we're sitting about 5 games out. Purpura will trade 3 of our prospects (if we even have any left) for some rent-a-player almost out of his contract (i.e. Aubrey Huff last year), and then we'll lose this rent-a-player and Jennings in the offseason. Honestly, I would be glad to trade Jennings right now even if we are in contention if he doesn't want to sign here. Get something for his Baylor @$$.

We've come a long way from Jason Jennings.
iBrad
AG
I went back to find my oldest Astros-related post. It was in 2007. Our good buddy cone was doing his thing back then, too.

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/850007/replies/11165094
Mr.Ackar07
iBrad said:

I went back to find my oldest Astros-related post. It was in 2007. Our good buddy cone was doing his thing back then, too.

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/850007/replies/11165094

I feel honored to have posted immediately after you.
JJxvi
AG
The Astros have repeatedly tried to trade for Stanton, actually, though maybe not since he signed that contract.
Ag_07
AG
When?

Like recently or in the past before he got his big contract?
JJxvi
AG
See above

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.