Astros offseason thread

344,012 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gonzo hasn't fallen much. There was plenty happening behind the scenes last season and he wasn't happy. Year before that, he hit .285/.349..

Sounds like more than one of the players involved in the trades will be let go.

Y'all are gonna blast me for this, but I would bring in Adrian for an interview and possibly sign him. Id love him to play some first and spend some time at DH.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think you'll get blasted.

I wouldn't be opposed to it if the numbers worked out. Hell if he took the same $4.5MM he made last year then yes sign me up.
shano0603
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't think you'll get blasted.

I wouldn't be opposed to it if the numbers worked out. Hell if he took the same $4.5MM he made last year then yes sign me up.

.280/.340 and 18 bombs... i will take that. He's made his money, he might want another shot at a title.
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
Chris archer would make out rotation unbelievably ridiculous.

Verlander
Keuchel
Archer
McCullers
Morton
Ag_07
AG
Very Tolerant Nice Guy said:

No doubt but they'd have to give up a ton.
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
Ag_07 said:

I would have killed for Archer, pre-Verlander. Now, I would still love him, but he isn't a must have. If we have to give up too much let him go.
shano0603
AG

Ag_07 said:

I would have killed for Archer, pre-Verlander. Now, I would still love him, but he isn't a must have. If we have to give up too much let him go.

I'm kinda here too. I'm not wanting to give up Tucker or Whitley when we aren't sure if we can pay all of our guys now.
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
shano0603 said:

Ag_07 said:

I'm kinda here too. I'm not wanting to give up Tucker or Whitley when we aren't sure if we can pay all of our guys now.

I might give up a Gattis, Paulino and Fisher. But Tucker and Whitley are untouchable imo.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think Archer would hurt salary wise. He is locked up through 2021 at only $8.25MM per.

Landing Archer would allow you to let Keuchel walk and put his money toward one of the others.
shano0603
AG

shano0603 said:

Ag_07 said:

I might give up a Gattis, Paulino and Fisher. But Tucker and Whitley are untouchable imo.

I don't think that would be enough for Archer.
W
AG
k20dub said:

Amazing how fast Adrian Gonzalez has fallen. I guess he is getting old
yep, that why giving large and long-term free agent contracts to guys over the age of 30 (that will run deep into their mid-30's) is scary and ill-advised.

also scary handing out a large contract after a player has a career season
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
My thoughts on the last few pages

1) Smith and Rondon are solid to very solid signings. Anything in the bullpen is great. If we can get the average of '17 and '16 from Rondon he will be a team MVP candidate

2) Giles is neither as good or as bad as we all seem to think. He has had studly stretches, but naturally we only remember the playoff run where he was garbage

3) the notion that any minor league players that we have being "untouchable" bothers me to no end. Can't keep em all, and can't pay em all.
CoachRTM
AG
Archer + Orbit?

Yes, please.
iBrad
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

3) the notion that any minor league players that we have being "untouchable" bothers me to no end. Can't keep em all, and can't pay em all.

We're not trying to keep them all. Just the ones that project as future stars. Luhnow has traded a lot of guys that are or will soon be everyday MLB players. But, you hold onto the Bergman-types. Sometimes they pan out. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the guys you trade turn into all-stars. But, you have to have a plan. You don't just go shipping away your best prospects. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

Remember when so many, including yourself, were ready to give up Bregman last offseason for a pitcher like Quintana? We were able to keep Bregman and add Verlander, and oh yeah, win the World Series. And we also still have Martes, Tucker, and Whitley. That's how you build a dynasty. You improve it without sacrificing the future.
irish pete ag06
AG
iBrad said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

We're not trying to keep them all. Just the ones that project as future stars. Luhnow has traded a lot of guys that are or will soon be everyday MLB players. But, you hold onto the Bergman-types. Sometimes they pan out. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the guys you trade turn into all-stars. But, you have to have a plan. You don't just go shipping away your best prospects. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

Remember when so many, including yourself, were ready to give up Bregman last offseason for a pitcher like Quintana? We were able to keep Bregman and add Verlander, and oh yeah, win the World Series. And we also still have Martes, Tucker, and Whitley. That's how you build a dynasty. You improve it without sacrificing the future.
Prosperdick
AG
iBrad said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Bregman was so critical for us down the stretch...I'm not sure we even get out of the first round if we had stupidly traded him during the season. Not only does he have a TON of RBI's in his glove and arm but he was the guy getting big hits off the best relievers in baseball and the other guys saw that and thought "geez, if that 2nd year player can hit him why can't I."

I know Captain Obvious but just wanted to give Bregman further props.
iBrad
AG
We wouldn't have won without Bregman and we wouldn't have won without dealing for an ace. We found a way to do both without losing any "untouchables."
BowSowy
AG
Ag_07 said:

k20dub said:

Amazing how fast Adrian Gonzalez has fallen. I guess he is getting old

Roids??

IIRC He never did much until later in his career, got hot and some out of nowhere years, and has now fallen back to earth.
While I'd never discount the idea that a power hitter is taking steroids, Gonzalez's career follows a pretty standard trajectory with his highest production years falling in his age 27-30 years. Even then, his homer totals didn't jump up in an absurd way.

Edit: I also agree that he could be a really good signing at the right price.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah looking back I thought he was older and in the league for longer than he was when he had his best years.

Didn't realize he was only 25-30 when he was having his 30+ HR/100+ RBI seasons. For some reason I thought he was 30 or older and had a good handful of subpar years under his belt by the time that started.

I musta been thinking of someone else.
NotGibbs
Could be an option, but that'd make McCann a pretty expensive backup

CFTXAG10
AG
Celebrated Christmas last night with one side of my family. 6 Astros jerseys were exchanged, World Series Ornaments, and a few other pieces of memorabilia. I am sure most of Houston will be experiencing the same this coming Sunday/Monday.
BowSowy
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah looking back I thought he was older and in the league for longer than he was when he had his best years.

Didn't realize he was only 25-30 when he was having his 30+ HR/100+ RBI seasons. For some reason I thought he was 30 or older and had a good handful of subpar years under his belt by the time that started.

I musta been thinking of someone else.
To be fair, I've always thought he was older than he is, too. I think you may have been thinking about Jose Bautista, maybe?
W
AG
yep, Christmas gift shopping should have been a piece of cake for Astros fans and relatives this year
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Ranger Martin Perez injured his elbow. Bull in a pen moved and startled him. He fell and hurt his elbow pretty bad.

Can't make this **** up. Need laughing crying icon
Ag_07
AG
Off-season so why not?

https://instagr.am/p/Bc5Rt5lnIwE
klsmith89
NotGibbs
Astros meeting with Darsh

Mathguy64
AG
The Arlington off season thread is gonna explode. Some of them are already throwing in the towel over Perez.
Ag_07
AG
mathguy86 said:

The Arlington off season thread is gonna explode. Some of them are already throwing in the towel over Perez.

Like losing a guy that was 13-12 with a 4.82 ERA is gonna do them in.
rosco511
AG
But that is an ace on their staff
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

titanmaster_race
Now he puts his foot down? Lol they've had a AAA team for years.
Bonfired
AG
Welcome to our 2011-2014, Miami...we paid major league prices for minor league baseball for a while.

Speaking of, ready for mini-plans to go on sale...probably end of next month, I figure.
Ag_07
AG
Bonfired said:

we paid major league prices for minor league baseball for a while.

Speak for yourself. I wasn't paying anywhere near major league prices.
NotGibbs
In a way, I kinda miss the suck days. You could show up, sit anywhere you wanted in the park, not need to wait in lines. It truly was the barebones of Major League Baseball.

But it sure doesn't compare to winning a world championship

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.