Astros offseason thread

350,789 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well then....i thought he and keuchel were both FA soon-ish. I guess not.
BMX Bandit
Have said several times, I'd be surprised if they resign Springer.
rosco511
AG
I will be surprised if they resign either Springer or Keuchel. Springer's age at free agency and Keuchel's durability will be what prevents the Astros from shelling out big buck just to keep them. I think this is the right move, and then puts us in best position to retain the remaining core.
Ag_07
AG
The only thing that concerns me about letting DK walk is the future of the rotation without him in it.

By that time JV will have one more year left. While LMJ was a stud in the playoffs I still have my doubts on if he can be the anchor of a rotation. Based on what we saw I also doubt Martes will have his shlt together to be a top end guy.

Maybe we make a trade or FA signing to get the ace replacement but we may also end up in a situation in which we need to sign Keuchel to give us an ace to bridge it over to the younger guys like Whitley and Martes.

Think 2018 will be big factor in answering some of those questions about the future of the rotation and if we think we need to resign DK.
AustinCountyAg
as much as I love having Springer on the team I don't want to see him sign a massive deal with the club. I would rather have that money go to Carlos/Bregs/and other young guys. Springer is going to want an arm and a leg and I just don't think he is worth the kind of money he will get. When he is good he is great, but when he is bad he is WAAAY BAD. I want the players bad to at least put the ball in play and give himself a chance. His approach at the plate when he struggles just rubs me the wrong way.
NotGibbs
I think Darsh would be a pretty damn solid addition

rosco511
AG
Would not be upset with having Verlander, Darvish, and Keuchel in same rotation.
WES2006AG
AG
NotGibbs said:

I think Darsh would be a pretty damn solid addition

Can we teach him not to tip his pitches?
gougler08
AG
Let's make sure we aren't using the World Series balls in 2018 as well
Mathguy64
AG
Rangerfans everywhere would explode en mass if that happened. It would be like a remake of the movie Scanners.
Ag_07
AG
I want nothing to do with Arrieta.

I think his stellar 2015 was lightning in a bottle. I don't think he's worth near what he'll get paid.

But damn a rotation of DK, JV, Darsh, LMJ, and Morton would be pretty sick.
rosco511
AG
And this would help strengthen bullpen by pushing Peacock into just a bullpen role, so really only other piece to add would be a lefty in the pen.
Mathguy64
AG
For the Rangers Darvish was their #1. For us he would be at best a #3 and maybe #4. And currently Fister is their solid #3 and they really dont have a #4 or 5. Its going to be a long 2018 in Arlington.

edit. Actually I may be overestimating the Rangers SP. After Hamels, Fister may be the #2 guy. Ho. Lee. Chit.
Ag_07
AG
Not when they sign Ohta...Wait a sec...Yeah they're fcked.
Mathguy64
AG
Nah. Matt Bush as a starter will solve everything.

Yeah. They are ****ed. When summer hits and its 100* outside that stadium is going be be a graveyard.
Deluxe
AG
Assuming we can fix tip issue, I'd love to watch Darvish spin breaking balls for the Astros next year.

Verlander, LMJ, Peacock, Morton and Darvish are five of the nastiest spinners from the right side. Great antidote to the Yankees right handed power.
EagleAg19
Having Darvish and Gurriel on the same team would be amazing
iBrad
AG
EagleAg19 said:

Having Darvish and Gurriel on the same team would be amazing

Rich Hill's head might explode.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Am I the only one who is totally meh on darvish? I guess he could be a good #3-4.
rosco511
AG
If he is your #3 or 4, then you have a really strong starting rotation.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
rosco511 said:

If he is your #3 or 4, then you have a really strong starting rotation.

Agreed but I don't want to pay what hell ask. Maybe it's my hatred of everything rangers. He's good but I've never thought he was a true #1
BMX Bandit
two players I'm positive won't be Astros next season: Arietta and Darvish
Farmer1906
AG
I would take Yu at something like 5 year, 20 million if I felt comfortable I could fix his playoff issues. He'd be a strong 3/4. It would also help the pain if Dallas left a year later. But we will need more than Yu to cover that. Lets hope Whitley & Bukauskas are big league starters by then.
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

I would take Yu at something like 5 year, 20 million if I felt comfortable I could fix his playoff issues. He'd be a strong 3/4. It would also help the pain if Dallas left a year later. But we will need more than Yu to cover that. Lets hope Whitley & Bukauskas are big league starters by then.
$100 million total or $4 million per year? The second one isn't happening.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

$100 million total or $4 million per year? The second one isn't happening.
100 M total. That is the going rate for high-end starters.
exp
AG
redag06 said:

15 or 10, same difference.

The Yankees got better and anyone on here that doesn't think the Yankees and Astros won't be in the alcs the next few years is a fool.

Don't sleep on the Indians. They're a great team too.
Ag_07
AG
Holy crap...Now Marwin hires Scott Boras.

Lunhow be like

Seriously it's not a good sign when the entire team is repped by Boras.
bullard21k
AG
redag06 said:

15 or 10, same difference.

The Yankees got better and anyone on here that doesn't think the Yankees and Astros won't be in the alcs the next few years is a fool.

I'll bet you 500$ that won't be the Alcs matchup
[img]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af37/bullard21k/what_the_hell.jpg?t=1266568352[/img]
W
AG
yep, that's why it's great thing the Astros finished the deal and won the World Series. Not going to be able to hold the team together much past 2018 & 2019
n_touch
Quote:

Seriously it's not a good sign when the entire team is repped by Boras.
They all got the ring, time to go find all the money
Agnzona
That's why spending now should not be much of a concern. The window is 2 years max.
BMX Bandit
was going to be very difficult to keep Marwin not matter who the agent is. In his position, can't blame him for looking for a big pay day and chance to play 1 position
gougler08
AG
Marwin needs to prove that 2017 wasn't an aberration if he wants to get really paid
irish pete ag06
AG
W said:

yep, that's why it's great thing the Astros finished the deal and won the World Series. Not going to be able to hold the team together much past 2018 & 2019
It's also why the farm system hasn't been absolutely pillaged beyond repair. And don't forget that this is the front office that is one of the best in the league on salvaging players (Peacock, Morton, McHugh, etc.)

There are arms galore in the farm system (with John Sickels blurbs about each one):

Quote:

1) Forrest Whitley, RHP, Grade A/A-: Age 20, first round pick in 2016 from high school in Texas, outstanding 2017 season at three levels with combined 2.83 ERA, 143/34 K/BB in 92 innings, 78 hits; Texas League observers at end of season were full of praise, noting excellent command of mid-90s fastball and better secondary stuff than most pitchers his age, with slider, curve, and change-up all looking very good; mature mound presence as well; main issue now is building up workload and proving durability; possible top-of-the-rotation arm, may go with a straight Grade A when all the lists and rankings are complete. ETA 2019.
Quote:

3) J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, Grade B+: Age 21, first round pick in 2017 from University of North Carolina; threw 10 innings in pro debut; strong spring with 9-1, 2.53 record with Tar Heels, 116/37 K/BB, just 62 hits; plus fastball in mid-90s, good slider, threw strikes in college; main question is 6-0 size and change-up development impacting ability to remain a starter but most seem optimistic that those issues will resolve in his favor; ETA 2019.
Quote:

6) David Paulino, RHP, Grade B: Age 23; lost most of the season due to elbow problems and PED suspension; posted 4.50 ERA in 14 innings in Triple-A, 13/9 K/BB; 6.52 ERA in six major league starts, 34/7 K/BB in 29 innings before suspension; still has one of the highest ceilings in the system, fastball can hit 98 and secondary pitches (curve, change) have improved, usually throws strikes; questions about durability and role remain in play. ETA 2018.
Quote:

7) Cionel Perez, LHP, Grade B: Age 21, signed out of Cuba in 2016, posted combined 4.13 ERA with 83/27 K/BB in 94 innings between Low-A, High-A, and Double-A; scouting reports are better than the numbers, focusing on low-90s fastball, both curveball and change-up flash plus; I think his general "throw strikes" control is ahead of his "hit spots" specific command but a breakthrough in 2018 seems plausible; durability the main concern. ETA 2019.
Quote:

8) Rogelio Armenteros, RHP, Grade B: Age 23, signed out of Cuba in 2014; posted 2.04 ERA in 124 innings between Double-A and Triple-A with 146/38 K/BB, 91 hits combined; usually not rated this highly on other lists but I think he is under-estimated by many since he doesn't throw a zillion MPH; fastball in low-90s this year but plays up due to excellent change-up, two different breaking balls, sharp control; looks like he has a strong, durable physical build; he's a pitcher. ETA 2018.
Also don't forget about Martes and Musgrove who are by no means finished projects yet (although I think Musgrove is a good bet to stay in the pen)

I am all but expecting Dallas to sign for big $ somewhere next offseason and that team be trying to get rid of that contract after 3-4 years.

Losing Marwin will suck, but I really think a big sleeper for a guy that will be really productive next year is Colin Moran. He's been extremely unlucky with his injuries, he had made real Marwin type changes to his swing last year and the early returns were great. He's my offensive sleeper for next year.
WES2006AG
AG
http://www.si.com/mlb/2017/12/11/dodgers-yu-darvish-tipped-pitches-world-series-astros

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.