Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

406,705 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasAggie008
DFWTLR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But it only applies to fully vaccinated, it's still a joke. Thankfully many places aren't following their guidelines.
tysker
AG
DFWTLR said:

But it only applies to fully vaccinated, it's still a joke. Thankfully many places aren't following their guidelines.
Yes true, which negates everyone under 16, right?
So in some situations parents of children can be maskless while their kids over 5 have to still wear them. Kids certainly should be seen and not heard!
Post removed:
by user
GAC06
AG
It's not rocket science. Just stop wearing them. In my experience even places with a sign up don't actually care. The signs are largely to ward off Twitter and Yelp attacks from covid hobbyists. Let the people "just trying to be polite" realize they are becoming the minority and they'll conform to the new social norm.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I got out of an Uber last Thursday still wearing a mask and was walking into Stans Blue Note and the door man specifically said "Just so you know we don't care if you wear a mask while you're here". Me and my party took ours off then and had a good time drinking beer and shooting pool.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
double aught
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Don't like it? Don't go.
I mean, there's some truth to this. They have the right to whatever policies they see fit. I just have a problem with the logic of the policy (there is none) at this point.

And for the record, my wife and I wore our masks upon entry this morning but had them off maybe half the time we were walking around. No one enforced the policy with us. Roughly 80% of adult patrons were in compliance. It was a lovely little morning.
culdeus
AG
TxAgLaw03RW said:

It never made sense, it's all about the appearance of doing something.

This is where I was 9 months ago. Masks enabled the economy to stabilize somewhat because people felt a little bit of control over their situation. For those three or four weeks where we were told the truth about masks nobody did anything.

Then the lie took hold and we went out again, it was a fair sacrifice to make, honestly. Those that whined about it probably didn't have their livelihood threatened by people just self locking down for ages in the face of fear.

I've been going to the gym again, and they quit enforcing it altogether. That was a tough one before for me to justify going and working out in a mask wasn't going to do it, now they don't care. I'm back.

The next milestones are probably groceries, and other big boxes letting their employees go without if they want. It's not a big deal to get groceries and ass wipes in a mask, though I won't miss it for a second.

Then planes and schools and doctor offices are last I guess.
Rubble
AG
culdeus said:

TxAgLaw03RW said:

This is where I was 9 months ago. Masks enabled the economy to stabilize somewhat because people felt a little bit of control over their situation. For those three or four weeks where we were told the truth about masks nobody did anything.

Then the lie took hold and we went out again, it was a fair sacrifice to make, honestly. Those that whined about it probably didn't have their livelihood threatened by people just self locking down for ages in the face of fear.

I've been going to the gym again, and they quit enforcing it altogether. That was a tough one before for me to justify going and working out in a mask wasn't going to do it, now they don't care. I'm back.

The next milestones are probably groceries, and other big boxes letting their employees go without if they want. It's not a big deal to get groceries and ass wipes in a mask, though I won't miss it for a second.

Schools need to be moved to the top of the list
culdeus
AG
Rubble said:

culdeus said:

TxAgLaw03RW said:

Schools need to be moved to the top of the list

Meh, whatever. Too much of an uphill battle. Would imagine they pull it for next year though it will be a struggle.
aggielostinETX
AG
We had dinner at a place in the Colony Friday called Seven Doors and there was not a mask in sight. Great meal.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Rubble
AG
Is it though? My two oldest's district removed the mask policy 3 weeks ago. It's optional now and very few teachers and kids are wearing them. I used to get a daily email with new covid cases. Since the new policy, 1 middle schooler has tested positive.

The big districts don't want to do it, but the small ones already are
Bob Knights Paper Hands
yukmonkey said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Don't like it? Don't go.

The Arboretum is taxpayer funded big guy. It's my Arboretum, not the crazy libby flower nut jobs that work there.

You cool with your wife getting harassed for no reason (masks outside are ****ing stupid)?

At this point it appears obvious he's just here to argue or pick e-fights with people on this thread. Ignore him or he'll accuse you of throwing a fit.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I've been on this thread since the beginning. The majority of my posts, including the one that bumped it this last time, have been specifically about the virus and current levels. And I have been very critical of Judge Clay the whole time.

I do admit that I get a kick out of how triggered some of y'all covid snowflakes get over being asked to wear a mask.
planoaggie123
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I've been on this thread since the beginning. The majority of my posts, including the one that bumped it this last time, have been specifically about the virus and current levels. And I have been very critical of Judge Clay the whole time.

I do admit that I get a kick out of how triggered some of y'all covid snowflakes get over being asked to wear a mask.

Your last sentence is short sighted a bit.

To me, i despise masks as they change how humans interact and it is almost instilling a permanent and unhealthy concern over public health and keeping all disease risk near zero.

Beyond that, my biggest concern is my kids. If we as adults can't look at the science and drop the masks and admit kids don't spread...and do it SOON...our kids will go through another year wearing masks, sitting every other seat, not being able to play, and having to learn on a computer screen. What they are doing to kids is unforgivable and it will continue as long as society (adults) maintains an inaccurate and unnecessary view on masks.

Get vaccinated and take them off.

Don't get vaccinated and you can still take them off because we are now throwing away shots so anyone that doesn't have a shot now doesn't deserve my "courtesy"...
Ol Jock 99
AG
Ok, see, that's a reasonable post. So I'll give a reasonable response.

Masks have been shown, in numerous studies, to help prevent the spread of the disease from a masked infected person to others. There is some benefit for an uninfected person to wear one, but the primary benefit is protecting others. That's the science. And it was rejected from day 1 by many, for, best I can tell, selfish reasons.

As vaccines have proliferated (good), the need for masking has decreased. But there are still folks out there that haven't been vaxxed for valid reasons. Our nanny has pretty severe autoimmune issues, and her doc is recommending that she (and others like her) hold off until they get more data on how it interacts with her drug cocktail. One example. And, while rare, vaxxed people can still get it and spread it.

Yes, the gov't has botched messaging at every turn, including at the beginning. And yes, idiots like ClayJay pretending that masks are the catch-all best solution is silly. They aren't. Public health is messy and this pandemic has shown many weak links. Including people who say (numerous example) "I will ignore a company or public spaces policies and I will LIE about my health or get angry if confronted."

Finally, the children. OUR KIDS will be fine. This will be a memory they share (like the great depression and WWII in previous generations). What does worry me is the vast education gap that is emerging between the haves and have nots. I have a 7 year old. He's fine. Getting a great education in spite of the craziness. The 7 year old that lives in my South Oak Cliff rent house? The one that I saw trying to get his 17 year old sister (who I guess dropped out) to fix his chromebook? He's not fine.

The extreme polarization between petty tyrants on the left, shuttering businesses and schools (a far more egregious action than masks) and those on the right becoming everything they mocked (rules for thee, not for me; resist; and yes, snowflake mentality) is pretty concerning too.

Now back to your regular programming.
YouBet
AG
I can report that despite signs everywhere and multiple announcements that masks are required to be on "at all times"....no one cares at Globe Life Field Texas Rangers stadium except for the old man that is captain of his elevator.

Other than that, you don't have to wear one and there is no enforcement. I'm guessing about 25% of people were sans mask. We did get kicked out of a section we didn't have tickets for but that's par for the course.
planoaggie123
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Masks have been shown, in numerous studies, to help prevent the spread of the disease from a masked infected person to others. There is some benefit for an uninfected person to wear one, but the primary benefit is protecting others. That's the science. And it was rejected from day 1 by many, for, best I can tell, selfish reasons.

As vaccines have proliferated (good), the need for masking has decreased. But there are still folks out there that haven't been vaxxed for valid reasons. Our nanny has pretty severe autoimmune issues, and her doc is recommending that she (and others like her) hold off until they get more data on how it interacts with her drug cocktail. One example. And, while rare, vaxxed people can still get it and spread it.

Yes, the gov't has botched messaging at every turn, including at the beginning. And yes, idiots like ClayJay pretending that masks are the catch-all best solution is silly. They aren't. Public health is messy and this pandemic has shown many weak links. Including people who say (numerous example) "I will ignore a company or public spaces policies and I will LIE about my health or get angry if confronted."

Finally, the children. OUR KIDS will be fine. This will be a memory they share (like the great depression and WWII in previous generations). What does worry me is the vast education gap that is emerging between the haves and have nots. I have a 7 year old. He's fine. Getting a great education in spite of the craziness. The 7 year old that lives in my South Oak Cliff rent house? The one that I saw trying to get his 17 year old sister (who I guess dropped out) to fix his chromebook? He's not fine.

The extreme polarization between petty tyrants on the left, shuttering businesses and schools (a far more egregious action than masks) and those on the right becoming everything they mocked (rules for thee, not for me; resist; and yes, snowflake mentality) is pretty concerning too.

I appreciate your response and I do want to cover a few things:

First bold....this is SO RARE! Are we willing to completely change how kids interact and learn for another year or more (potentially being 2.5 - 3.5 years) because of such rare instances? When have we had a zero risk in life? That same auto-immune person has always lived, very unfortunately, with risks....why now should society shut down for such things? Same with cancer patients and I am sure many others with grave illnesses that are likely high risk...but..they have always been high risk.

Second bold....that is a major issue and I do think you are undercutting it. I dont worry about just my kids. I care for their peers...and the society that will be created by this group that will eventually be the leaders when we are crapping oursevles in a nursing home. We are severaly impacting a large number and its not just the south oak cliff demographic. There are kids in Plano in nice areas that their kids are literally spending more than 70% of their time effectively learning from ABC Mouse with no supplement at home. Yes, poor kids are at risk. So are "rich" or "middle income" kids. The learning environment is suffering. My wife stays at home thankfully and we can supplement and i promise she learns more at home than she does at school.

Third bold....I 100% agree on polarization. It does nobody any good. Early on both sides had people being too extreme during periods of relatively high unknowns. However, we know a LOT now but the problem is we are working towards a zero risk society and this has to stop.
Credible Source
AG
It's unbelievable how many auto immune people exist once a Covid showed up. Ole Jock calling people who aren't afraid of Covid and think the risks are GREATLY exaggerated "snowflakes" is hilarious. The least afraid and concerned people in this country are the snowflakes? Despite all of your grandstanding and lecturing and rule following, you still got Covid right? How bad was it? Based on your description, it was the same as literally every other person I know that got Covid. We have a hospitalization rate of 1-5%, and we've destroyed our job market and children's education. It's in ****ing believable how stupid the response to this virus has been. Unreal. It's dumb. We need to move on.

This guy nails it

Goose
AG
I think the efforts to achieve a zero-risk society are very real and will soon create a social and economic quicksand that'll take meaningful (if even possible) change to get out of. As if the litigious society we live in wasn't hobbling us already, the relatively sudden onslaught of social media, justice for <insert cause here>, cancel culture, etc. has businesses more concerned than ever and governments pandering to the public like never before. "Optics" have always been important, but never before this critical. It's a ****ing problem.
planoaggie123
AG
Goose said:

I think the efforts to achieve a zero-risk society are very real and will soon create a social and economic quicksand that'll take meaningful (if even possible) change to get out of. As if the litigious society we live in wasn't hobbling us already, the relatively sudden onslaught of social media, justice for <insert cause here>, cancel culture, etc. has businesses more concerned than ever and governments pandering to the public like never before. "Optics" have always been important, but never before this critical. It's a ****ing problem.
100%.

Zero risk is the new expectation.

Guess what...COVID goes down...wear a mask because it will keep the flu down...

I have many liberal co-workers who are great people. intelligent people. but they are grapsed by an extreme fear that i cannot understand. one of them just admitted this past week was the first week since March 2020 that they did not wipe down all their groceries. another co-worker STILL quarantines packages and mail.....

I am ok with "greater good" in that I dont want my fellow humans to suffer but at the same time we now have vaccines and have ways to get ALL necesseities delivered if you need to stay in. You can be protected WITHOUT everyone wearing masks.

I dont care about me so much but i deeply hurt inside when I see my kid going to school wearing a mask for NO REASON and even more hurt when I see kids whose parents are so stricken with fear that they make their kids wear masks on the playground and they look at their mom and ask "why"....
YouBet
AG
Goose said:

I said this elsewhere but this COVID deal is one where perfect is the enemy of good. We have re-programmed an entire generation of kids in a harmful way over this crap.

On the auto-immune deal, we actually know someone with a legitimate disease here and she got the vaccine anyway. I was frankly shocked she did it. Hope that works out, obviously.
FincAg
AG
I'm happy to report that everyone is now washing their hands after using the restroom in the office, and when eating at a restaurant I see more people getting up to wash their hands before eating.

Bravo
beerad12man
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

We have more real world data that forced masks in public don't do s*** than real world data that suggests they made a big dent. Masks are political, divisive in nature, dehumanizing (I guess that's what commies want, though) and get less and less necessary by the day even if they did have the slightest benefit in a completely un-immune society. Which is debatable no matter how many times you might say it isn't. At this point, the biggest use they have is to remind people what a scary virus we have circling around ready to kill people at every last step. If you can't see the mental/psychological damage they are having on people without real world data to even show that they are helping, that's on you. This doesn't even get into children and possible development, but I won't get into that.

If anything, they may have merely given at risk people more confidence to be around others. We may very well look back and see the caused more harm to society than good. they certainly haven't helped with communal spread according to any comparison graphs across the country. It should have been a 2-3 month experiment that people should have seen right through quickly. You can say they've shown to reduce spread, but that doesn't make it true.

A true health message that might have helped would be preaching to people about time exposed, and ventilation. You know, the real culprits in preventing covid spread.
Trucker 96
Almost no one is wearing masks properly. It's a big charade and even those wearing them are acknowledging it in how they wear them
tysker
AG
FincAg said:

I'm happy to report that everyone is now washing their hands after using the restroom in the office, and when eating at a restaurant I see more people getting up to wash their hands before eating.

Bravo
I've never understood the logic in this.
Bonfire1996
AG
Risk. It's all risk. Especially with a virus that is extremely weak when compared to historical pandemics.

Two things are very hilarious to me:

1. O1Jock calling anyone but him and his mask worshiping ilk the snowflakes in this scenario. That's funny. Only one group is demonstrating irrational fear.

2. 01Jock owns a rent house in Oak Cliff occupied by some, apparently, low information folks who are, in his own words, about to struggle in this world. When we discuss risk....his ownership of said rent house likely puts him at greater risk health wise, than Covid ever did. Driving to it, managing it, collecting rent, maintaining it, all combined produce far greater risk to his health than Covid ever did. But he accepts that risk, yet tries to not accept Covid risk. That is giving me a great big belly laugh.
Robert C. Christian
AG
tysker said:

FincAg said:

Bravo

How so? Was drilled from an early age to "wash up for supper".
Ol Jock 99
AG
The thought of bringing a little bit of joy to a heart such as yours is the highlight of my day.
tysker
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

tysker said:

FincAg said:

Bravo

How so? Was drilled from an early age to "wash up for supper".
I think its a somewhat older, traditionally southern, and religious thing to do. At home I get it, but at a restaurant there's not much logic or need for it, especially if you used the restroom and washed your hands before leaving. Maybe decades before when restaurants weren't are clean and well maintained as they are today it made sense. Just my opinion but I'm also not a touch everything everywhere I go sorta person.
YouBet
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The most recent study we have is a speculative study from the CDC that says it might have prevented 1% of cases and deaths. It made assumptions without actually testing masks.
culdeus
AG
Methodist is taking appointments for 12-15yos on 5/11 or later.
Ol Jock 99
AG
culdeus said:

Interesting. CDC votes on it next week.
Post removed:
by user
culdeus
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

culdeus said:

What a joke.

With all due respect. **** you.

[With all due respect. You are banned for a week. -Staff]
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.