Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,147 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
MGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Hopefully it's in the shape of a star
"You know the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear."
TSUAggie
752bro4 said:

Who wants a shiny new sticker on the door of your business?! Thanks Clay!

Quote:

The program would ask that a business take a pledge to follow certain guidance from public health officials on distancing and safe operations. They would also be asked to follow a color-coded guide the county released this week that deems which activities are safe based on the risk-level of community spread.

Those businesses that participate will be able to show off a Stay Safe Business insignia in their windows

What a damn joke. More proof there is way too much waste in government. I guarantee they had some type of "back to work committee" come up with this bull**** idea and now they're all probably patting themselves on the back thinking they're making a difference. Useless **** that is made up to try to justify their existence.
Phat32
AG
It'll go great with the 100 other stickers/fact sheets/guidelines required to be posted on every other business window. I'm sure it won't get lost or misunderstood, if it is noticed at all.
MGS
Two months in, how have the predictions fared?

Post removed:
by user
TexasAggie008
AG
Need medical malpractice filed on any and all "medical experts" that actually put their name on this kind of garbage

Is along the lines of "yelling fire in a crowded theatre"
Hood
AG
The Wuhan-style lockdown worked!

GOOD JOB, EVERYONE! And they didn't even have to weld our doors shut.

EAT THAT*, CHINA!

*Except bats. Knock that **** off.
Phat32
AG
This was a model done by someone "dragging the corner" on an Excel spreadsheet. Said it at the time and will say it again.

Absolutely atrocious.
Fitch
AG
Weren't those the numbers from the Silicon Valley model that popped up and got quickly discredited like a day after Dallas Co. handed them out at a press conference?
riverrataggie
AG
yukmonkey said:

This was a model done by someone "dragging the corner" on an Excel spreadsheet. Said it at the time and will say it again.

Absolutely atrocious.

Well said. And I was told I wasn't taking this seriously. How could I when the models that were used developed by 3rd graders?
DFWTLR
AG
Fitch said:

Weren't those the numbers from the Silicon Valley model that popped up and got quickly discredited like a day after Dallas Co. handed them out at a press conference?
I believe the models were developed by Dallas County Health and Human Services, and here's the latest from Clay:

TexasAggie008
AG
he's a good guy just trying to save lives, right ? Not as corrupt of a political figure as any in our states history?
riverrataggie
AG
His projections were wrong before. Why does he think we should believe him now? And say we do hit 800 a day. What then. Why not 1000? Why not 10k?
powerbelly
AG
The models will say whatever Jenkins wants them to say.
Hood
AG
Do we know if those UTSW scientists know how to use Excel?
Trucker 96
Our daily dose of fear-mongering from Clay whose paychecks are still clearing.
MGS
If a CEO of a public-traded company had made major decisions that caused substantial financial losses based on projections that were off by several orders of magnitude, would he still have a job?
DFWTLR
AG
MGS said:

If a CEO of a public-traded company had made major decisions that caused substantial financial losses based on projections that were off by several orders of magnitude, would he still have a job?
He's been dug in on this for months and will never admit the projections were/are wrong. Today had the lowest number of new cases since easing restrictions two weeks ago...however somehow it takes more than 2 weeks to begin to see the impact:

riverrataggie
AG
Three reasons he's doing this.

1) he's being compensated
2) he's an idiot
3) his ego is so big he can't admit he was wrong
agcrock2005
AG
riverrataggie said:

Three reasons he's doing this.

1) he's being compensated
2) he's an idiot
3) his ego is so big he can't admit he was wrong

Oh...so he's a politician? Hate 99.9% of them.
powerbelly
AG
Politician and ambulance chaser.
culdeus
AG
It's like they completely forgot to forecast the down model.
riverrataggie
AG
culdeus said:

It's like they completely forgot to forecast the down model.

Nah. 10.5m dead by next month is totally capable.
cp2011
AG
Fitch said:

Here's a link to The Federalist article about where the initial models came from - the one's with the output chart of a 5th grade science project: https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/25/inaccurate-virus-models-are-panicking-officials-into-ill-advised-lockdowns/
Phat32
AG
Imagine being a small time data scientist. You build a model you think is great, but it's not really intended for mass consumption and maybe you don't get it peer reviewed like you usually do.

10 countries use it as gospel and it destroys trillions in economic value.

Oops.
riverrataggie
AG
yukmonkey said:

Imagine being a small time data scientist. You build a model you think is great, but it's not really intended for mass consumption and maybe you don't get it peer reviewed like you usually do.

10 countries use it as gospel and it destroys trillions in economic value.

Oops.

Now imagine this data scientist is in 3rd grade. And that 3rd grade data scientist has a higher IQ than the people who ran these models.
culdeus
AG
The big miss seems to be the assumption people take mass transit in this city. Among like 10 other things.
Phat32
AG
Exactly. Other than Mavs games and church, I'm not around nearly any large groups of people.

In one week through NYC or London, I probably encounter 100x the humans I would all year in Dallas.
agcrock2005
AG
As US coronavirus death toll mounts, so does the belief by some that it is exaggerated

SHOCKING! Who would have thought? I have talked to doctors who have told me that hospital administrators get more money for COVID patients and have been trying like hell to get more. One lady I know went in for cellulitis in her leg (in DFW) and they gave her a chest X-Ray and sent her home without treating her infection. She went to another hospital where she's admitted and being treated now. Trying to convince her to file complaint, although it probably wouldn't do anything.
cp2011
AG
Interesting read over on ft.com about deaths above average

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441
rsf0626
225 new positive cases, 14 new COVID deaths reported today in Dallas Co.

Don't shoot the messenger **ducks out of way**
CowtownEng
rsf0626 said:

Is this sarcasm? Daily counts have been at this level for the past couple of weeks. Considering the significant increase in testing, that is actually good news.
Hood
AG
rsf0626 said:

Are any of the Dallas County hospitals at risk of being overrun?
752bro4
AG
Hood said:

rsf0626 said:

Are any of the Dallas County hospitals at risk of being overrun?
Since May 1 here are the highs and lows, % wise of occupied bed, ICU bed, and ventilators:
Total Beds - high of 65% (May 17), low of 58% (May 2-3)
ICU Beds - high of 68% (May 9, May 17, May 19), low of 62% (May 5)
Ventilator - high of 36% (May 2, May 8-9, May 12), low of 33% (May 3, May 17-18)

Trailing-7 day new total cases:
Peak - 250.4 (May 11)
Every day since - 248.0, 247.6, 245,3, 238.1, 238.0, 233.0, 226.4, 222.3, 220.7 (reduction every single day)

I haven't tracked positive %, but I believe I have read it is in the 5-6% range, reducing as gross testing went up at the beginning of May.
MGS
I don't understand how Dallas county can have 2.5x the population of Collin county but 6x the number of deaths.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.