Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

389,495 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
Birdbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do office workers for an oil producer qualify as essential?
AggieFrog
AG
Birdbear said:

That depends I guess. Office workers at Lockheed are deemed essential.
Ag CPA
AG
Birdbear said:

We decided that we were essential because our office supports operations (our company is upstream) that support a defined essential industry, oil refining... and then closed down the office anyways.

Accountants and some of the engineers and landmen are still going in to do work that has to happen in the office, but otherwise people are working from home.
Comeby!
AG
Exactly. We have a small staff working multiple roles. If our land director is shut down, we don't make pay deck changes, letters to WI owners don't go out, regulatory filings don't get down etc.
hatchback
AG
# of cases by zip code:

I'd like to see # of tests by zip code.
hph6203
AG
8!? I'm gonna die.
Objective Aggie
AG
hph6203 said:

8!? I'm gonna die.
The map just indicates who can afford medical care and testing.
walton91
We knew a spike was coming. 78 new cases announced in Dallas County today

Dallas County Health and Human Services is reporting 78 new cases of COVID-19 today, bringing the total case count in Dallas County to 247
AggieFrog
AG
Are Dallas County counts based on tests done in the county, or only for those living in Dallas County (for example, what about those who drive in from other counties to be tested in Dallas - which county gets the count)?
Fitch
AG
One of the lessons out of Wuhan (link, chart 11): at the time the city was shut down there were 27x as many infections as confirmed cases. That's not too say there are 27x as many cases here as well, allowing for density differences, public transit, etc., but highlights how dramatically different confirmed cases and actual cases can vary.

As testing ramps up the numbers should be expected to spike. In a few weeks we'll know whether the social distancing practices have had an effect.
walton91
The county website notes that their reported number does not include positive results from persons who reside out-of-state or outside of Dallas County.
walton91
Which makes the declaration by Collin County all the more puzzling to me
wangus12
AG
Collin County right now

Its actually been pretty empty. Not a lot people on the roads or in the parks
Phat32
AG
Dropped by a place for takeout and almost nobody was practicing social distancing. All under 30.

Idiots.
Carlo4
AG
I'm seeing that as well with apartment living. Living in Las Colinas. I live in the area around Lake Carolyn with restaurants, open areas, and apartments.

Went to buy takeout at a local place to help them out. I counted roughly 50 people sitting at tables/chairs, benches, and on ground... groups of 5-7 normally with children either eating dinner on ground, waiting for food, or talking. Individuals within each group were nearly shoulder to shoulder instead of larger spacing.

Most were under 30. Some with their younger children. Some with their older parents.
bangobango
AG
yukmonkey said:

Dropped by a place for takeout and almost nobody was practicing social distancing. All under 30.

Idiots.
stopped by a place earlier this week and the kid damn near crawled into my lap in the car trying to get under the shade so he could read his credit card scanner. Pissed me off so much.
Proposition Joe
People aren't taking this seriously because from Day 1 the guidelines on how to handle it have been little half-measures.

I'd venture to say 25% of the people out there have zero idea that people not displaying symptoms can be carriers.... and honestly I can't blame them. If you don't watch the news every day you probably don't have a good idea what this crisis really involves.

And while I've never been a fan of the phrase "shelter-in-place", I certainly can't support something like "Stay Home Y'all"... It just helps add to people not taking this all that seriously.
Post removed:
by user
Robert C. Christian
AG
Maybe all four came as a single?
Phat32
AG
It's the kind of **** that gets us an actual lockdown.
Post removed:
by user
Phat32
AG
Dear Internet Police,

We are mentioning what we are seeing in a rapidly evolving situation and sharing with other Ags. I'm sorry we have provided information in an informative thread in a manner you do not see fit.

Maybe go somewhere else for your sports talk.

Sincerely,
Everyone
agcrock2005
AG
yukmonkey said:

Sincerely,
Everyone
Not true...
Ol Jock 99
AG
Y'all seem bored. Want to watch a kid or scrub a toilet? I have plenty of both.
Proposition Joe
SoupNazi2001 said:

CastleRock said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Are these threads the new version of old men yelling at clouds. You aren't going to change these people's behaviors and there is not enough police to enforce it. Not everyone is as paranoid about this. Deal with it and take your own precautions.

You should go back and understand why it's an issue for everyone, regardless of individual precautions.

I understand it's an issue but *****ing about it won't change it. They locked the gates of the basketball court in my HOA and the teenagers just jump the fence to shoot some hoops. Lock them up.

I think people's complaint about your post is that it came off more as "I'm not that worried about the whole thing. You can deal with it and take your own precautions" rather than "There's people out there that will never be worried about the whole thing, just deal with it and take your own precautions.".

I think we all agree you can't fix stupidity/immaturity, but I feel like a large part of the problem is a poor job conveying the message. I mean hell, I can get an alert on my phone when a child goes missing 200 miles from me, but I can't get an alert stating "Make attempts to stay 6+ feet away from people - you do not have to look sick to be carrying the virus." ?
TexasAggie008
AG
If you got-say-90% participation rate ... the response should be "wow- that's really good / surprising it's that high".... as opposed to acting shocked and appalled that in a Metro of 7M people, not EVERY single one is on board

We could have an outbreak of Ebola or a full on alien invasion and you STILL won't get 100% of people participating in whatever the government response is. Why do some act surprised ?
TAMUallen
AG
Any of yall been out to the grocery store/ target/ walmart in the past few days?

How's it looking? Still out of toilet paper, meat, produce, milk etc etc or have we recovered from that?
HouseDivided06
AG
Went to Kroger by my ex's house this morning after dropping off the kids. No toilet paper, no eggs, and no chicken. Other than that, was well stocked.
The Collective
AG
My wife went to Target during lunch. They had tp & some food items that HEB did not have during our pickup on Saturday.
TexasAggie008
AG
Have always heard Braums is a solid option for milk and eggs
wangus12
AG
Had to hit up my brother for meat. He works in meat production and has excess. Got filets and rib eyes to last the apocalypse now
littlebitofhifi
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

Have always heard Braums is a solid option for milk and eggs
I was craving a burger for lunch today anyways so went to Braums to check it out and this is correct. They were fully stocked on milk, eggs, bread, fruits & vegetables. Only thing they seemed to be out of was chicken & ground beef.
FTAco07
AG
Sprouts was fully stocked and not crowded at all when I went yesterday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.