Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,150 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
FincAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

This are starting to get dicey at the big hospitals.

Wife said their census has tripled. Had issues with the younger staff, and her students, coming back from Halloween testing positive too. They are expecting higher spikes the weeks after Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year. Not just a case of beds but staffing as well.
wangus12
AG
Yeah we expected spikes after both Halloween and the election. We just lost most of our radiology department because someone came in and spread it around.
TexasAggie008
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/11/17/shut-them-down-dallas-officials-struggle-with-how-to-respond-to-new-wave-of-covid-19/

" Among the most notable ideas floated at the Dallas County commissioners meeting to slow the virus: Shutting the water off at businesses especially bars and event venues that are violating reduced occupancy rules."

I know some of you will defend this - show yourselves
Phat32
AG
**** that *****
TexasAggie008
AG
But Clay and city leaders are moderate good dudes just trying to save lives, who shouldn't face criminal charges when this is all over; give em a break
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

I know some of you will defend this - show yourselves
I'm not going to pretend to remember all 62 pages on this thread, but who is defending Lord Clay?
CampingAg
AG
DFWTLR said:

Numbers are obviously going up, but there seems to still be a lot of bed capacity in Tarrant County (1,168 beds available) and City of Dallas (1,547 available).

Why was WFAA reporting at 10 that there were only 85 ICU beds remaining in the entire Metroplex?
clobby
AG
Our Covid ICUs and floor are full. This past week got busy.
Phat32
AG
Funny reading through this thread from the beginning a little. Lots of level headed people in here.

Very quickly we realized:
- This wasn't going to kill us all
- It was going to have far reaching economic impacts
- City Hall had (and still has) no idea what they're doing

Being freaked about breaking 100 cases a day. What a time.

At least Mariano's was overserving in their to-go margaritas.

oldag941
AG
According to local news yesterday, Dallas County only had just over 11% of beds occupied by COVID patients. I believe the local high mark was Tarrant County at about 13.5%? I always want to ask what the "typical" (non-2020) bed numbers are when they present the current numbers. Seems like that would be pretty important in defining the problem.
cc_ag92
AG
I agree. I would define myself as more cautious than many people on this thread, but I don't believe we are given enough data to really know how serious it is.
I do know that my friends in the medical field (hospital staff of some kind) are exhausted and overwhelmed by the number of Covid patients they are seeing, but I would also love some comparison data.
oldag941
AG
Another question I have is the threshold for admitting to the hospital. I'd love to understand if that has changed since March. So if someone shows up at Parkland and tests positive for COVID, are they automatically admitted? Or is there some level of illness that triggers the admittance (I assume that this is the case). So over time, has that trigger changed? Or are they seeing fewer cases (by percentage) that need admittance? Numbers may be up, but is the ratio of those that need hospitalization increasing or decreasing?
oldag941
AG
I'm also a little perplexed on how hospitals supposedly are now at 100% fill without triggering any of the overflow facilities being stood up. Or cancelling elective surgeries (which I haven't heard happening). Isn't there a contingency plan for capacity access when over 100%? Isn't that what we saw in April? Convention center opening to medical beds? Parkland activated their COVID unit? I saw that Parkland stood down a COVID floor back in late summer I believe. Has that been reopened? And with the 11% CODID hospital beds occupied stat, how does that equate? Lots of questions to understand the situation but so few honest answers.
duck79
AG
I thought I saw a post that the way they record "admitted" changed in October? Pre-October if you were seen and released in under 7-8 hours it wasn't recorded as an admittance but now it is? Anyone know if there is truth to this? I have wondered how long one must be in a hospital to "occupy a bed" on records.
Proposition Joe
The numbers are absolutely massaged, but there's a significant # of verified medical people on TexAgs that have confirmed things are getting bad in certain areas.

I get if you want to go with the "mainstream media conspiracy theory", but when you start assuming first-hand accounts from TexAgs medical people are part of that conspiracy, well...
oldag941
AG
Not knowing if your comments are aimed at me or not, but I don't discount the first-hand reports from Texags medical personnel. I am also not a conspiracy theory supporter. But being a pragmatic, logical thinker (engineer by trade), I do want to understand the details and concepts. Since we are basically left to formulate our own, personal definition of risk and way forward, I need to understand the situation in greater detail than what I see in the news or hear on Texags. That's all.
YouBet
AG
Ditto. I don't discount first hand accounts by Aggie docs as well.

Part of what is happening (I suspect) are folks showing up to the hospitals whether they need to or not and it forces the hospital staff to have to deal with them regardless. So, I can completely understand the fatigue of doctors and staff over this.

In effect, there is some level of self-fulfilling prophecy of staff being overwhelmed with this virus because of the over the top fear the media and folks who have something to gain from it politically and monetarily have forced. My news feed widgets on my phone are 24/7 COVID Armageddon level articles. If you take the news at face value like most do, you would think we were dealing with a global firestorm of Ebola.
Proposition Joe
oldag941 said:

Not knowing if your comments are aimed at me or not, but I don't discount the first-hand reports from Texags medical personnel. I am also not a conspiracy theory supporter. But being a pragmatic, logical thinker (engineer by trade), I do want to understand the details and concepts. Since we are basically left to formulate our own, personal definition of risk and way forward, I need to understand the situation in greater detail than what I see in the news or hear on Texags. That's all.

Wasn't directed at you at all - all of your questions have been completely valid looking for insight on how things operate - I have many of the same questions.
culdeus
AG
oldag941 said:

I'm also a little perplexed on how hospitals supposedly are now at 100% fill without triggering any of the overflow facilities being stood up. Or cancelling elective surgeries (which I haven't heard happening). Isn't there a contingency plan for capacity access when over 100%? Isn't that what we saw in April? Convention center opening to medical beds? Parkland activated their COVID unit? I saw that Parkland stood down a COVID floor back in late summer I believe. Has that been reopened? And with the 11% CODID hospital beds occupied stat, how does that equate? Lots of questions to understand the situation but so few honest answer
You could simply ask the doctors on the front lines managing this, the answer sometimes is quite simple.

The hospitals are now flexing in beds that would otherwise have not been an "ICU bed" where the requirements are round the clock care, but don't need full life support. These "swing beds" or what have you were not initially practical due to the (perceived) need for ventilator that is no longer required. ICU standard of care has instead shifted to O2 and proning, and venting is basically reserved for those we don't want to watch die choking to death.

culdeus
AG
oldag941 said:

According to local news yesterday, Dallas County only had just over 11% of beds occupied by COVID patients. I believe the local high mark was Tarrant County at about 13.5%? I always want to ask what the "typical" (non-2020) bed numbers are when they present the current numbers. Seems like that would be pretty important in defining the problem.
https://covid-texas.csullender.com/?tsa=E

Somewhere below 60%, though that ranges up during flu season.
clobby
AG
Staffing is a major issue as well. We can pile up beds all day long but don't have the staff to safely care for them. Our covid units are mostly filled up with travel nurses and they are only here for a few months at the most.
Ol Jock 99
AG
17 deaths reported in Dallas County. Not sure if that's the record, but it is up there.
double aught
AG
yukmonkey said:

At least Mariano's was overserving in their to-go margaritas.

Alcohol to go has made this all worth it.
double aught
AG
But seriously, this vaccine news has been great. People could start getting it as early as next month.
DFWTLR
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

17 deaths reported in Dallas County. Not sure if that's the record, but it is up there.

I remember several days over 20 and a couple 30 or 31, but they're accumulated over weeks/months as reporting is still slow.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Reading the press release almost all of the 17 have the phrase "had been critically ill in an area hospital". Does that mean they were critically ill and then caught COVID or caught COVID, became critically ill, and then died?

Ol Jock 99
AG
What constitutes a "high risk health condition" is a frequent dinner convo at the Jock house. I'll admit we haven't gone all over the health department's website, but me, and more importantly Doc Jock, don't know.
riverrataggie
AG
My ER doc and nurse in the family told me underlying meant they had something before Covid.

Now what's high risk they said could vary. Severe obesity is considered as high risk where they work.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Yeah, underlying I understand. It is the "critically ill" portion of the statement that I have confusion on.
Phat32
AG
Death is awful for anyone and I am not glad to see any on the Dallas County list.

However, it is comical how they have copy and pasted "underlying health conditions" for every single one of those deaths.

Then flip around and tell healthy individuals to avoid their family and lose their job.
YouBet
AG
So, it's still fake news then. Noted.
TexasAggie008
AG
fwiw, the North Texas TSA covid hospitalization % (per daily report - https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/additionaldata/) is 13.2% today, lowest in 3-4 days....will see if its a trend or a one-off. Has to be 15% for 7 consecutive days to trigger occupancy back down to 50%. Last thing businesses need during the holidays.
Ol Jock 99
AG
1860 new cases reported today.
oldag941
AG
But low the last two days (compared to the previous days).....of course Clay Jenkins is saying that the data is flawed or incomplete and that's why they have low numbers...... At least they are looking at trends rather than data points.
atmdds03
AG
I have no idea what to make of the numbers. On one hand, my friend that is a pulmonologist says that their hospital numbers (patient and healthcare provider) are no doubt going up. On the other hand one of my employees' 84 year old HIGH risk mother and seven other 70-90 year old's in the same nursing home tested positive and all have been asymptomatic for over a week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.