Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,143 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
DFWTLR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Masks required. Wearing one is a good idea, but how is that remotely enforceable, much less constitutional?

And honestly, to have a public health impact, should have been done 2 weeks ago.
It's not constitutional, but neither is fining people for getting within 6 feet of each other. Grocery stores, etc can enforce it pretty easily, no entrance unless you're wearing a mask.

You could walk right by them. What are they going to do grab you?
Stores are limiting how many people are allowed in at once or doing senior/high risk hours. I went during senior hours by mistake last week and saw 15-20 people turned away who went back to their cars to wait. And yes you could just walk by, but 99.9% of people won't.
Bones08
AG
powerbelly said:

yukmonkey said:

So cases have plateaued but we need additional restrictions? **** you Clay.
It is all about power. Clay Jenkins does not give a single **** about any Dallas resident but himself.
I don't follow this line of thought. I understand disagreeing with his actions, but to take it even further and assign selfish/evil intent is where you lose me.
powerbelly
AG
Bones08 said:

powerbelly said:

yukmonkey said:

It is all about power. Clay Jenkins does not give a single **** about any Dallas resident but himself.
I don't follow this line of thought. I understand disagreeing with his actions, but to take it even further and assign selfish/evil intent is where you lose me.
You clearly know nothing about Clay Jenkins. He is an evil man who is singularly focused on increasing his power.
Bones08
AG
powerbelly said:

Bones08 said:

powerbelly said:

yukmonkey said:

You clearly know nothing about Clay Jenkins. He is an evil man who is singularly focused on increasing his power.
Care to point me in a direction? I'm not sure what to search for here.
powerbelly
AG
Bones08 said:

powerbelly said:

Bones08 said:

powerbelly said:

yukmonkey said:

Care to point me in a direction? I'm not sure what to search for here.
I can't point you in a direction for something that basically everyone in Dallas who pays attention to politics knows. They Observer has been on his **** for years.

You can at least read about him trying to steal Brian Loncar's practice while his body was still warm.
Bones08
AG
"I can't point you in a direction"

*Proceeds to point me in a direction*

Thanks!
powerbelly
AG
That is just one of many examples. Most wont be covered by the local news that carries the democrats water.
Hood
AG
Quinn
AG
While I'm looking forward to things opening up, what's going to stop cases from exploding once we do so? I know things won't be going back to "normal", but how are we going to keep cases down in Dallas once we open back up?
hatchback
AG
Quinn said:

While I'm looking forward to things opening up, what's going to stop cases from exploding once we do so? I know things won't be going back to "normal", but how are we going to keep cases down in Dallas once we open back up?

One thing that will help is people wearing face coverings when out in public (when social distancing cannot be maintained) or to essential businesses for the foreseeable future.

I haven't been wearing a mask/face covering when going to visit my job site, but I'll start that next week.
Phat32
AG
This is what I'm afraid of - almost that the case load here was *too* low, and so when we reopen we're basically back at square one from an immunity standpoint.

However, our testing, hospitals and awareness are much better.
Quinn
AG
If we're currently at 62% of ICU beds occupied when a big chunk of the metroplex is sitting inside all day, that has me worried that things won't go well. Pair that with the lack of testing and tracing and I think it's going to go poorly, unfortunately.
powerbelly
AG
Quinn said:

If we're currently at 62% of ICU beds occupied when a big chunk of the metroplex is sitting inside all day, that has me worried that things won't go well. Pair that with the lack of testing and tracing and I think it's going to go poorly, unfortunately.
Do you know ICU occupancy before the outbreak? Or what percentage of ICU beds are people with COVID?

Without those details how can you possibly draw your conclusion from the data presented?
Quinn
AG
Good questions, and we don't have the full data set for sure. I can see that 206 ICU beds were occupied on 3/31 and over 500 now, 4 or 5 weeks into shelter at home.
DFWTLR
AG
Quinn said:

Good questions, and we don't have the full data set for sure. I can see that 206 ICU beds were occupied on 3/31 and over 500 now, 4 or 5 weeks into shelter at home.
There were only 8 hospitals reporting on 3/31 vs 25 now.
Quinn
AG
Gotcha
nai06
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Masks required. Wearing one is a good idea, but how is that remotely enforceable, much less constitutional?

And honestly, to have a public health impact, should have been done 2 weeks ago.
It's not constitutional, but neither is fining people for getting within 6 feet of each other. Grocery stores, etc can enforce it pretty easily, no entrance unless you're wearing a mask.

If they want to, yes. Although I suspect they will just call the police. If a store says you have to wear a mask to enter and shop and you refuse and walk past them you are going to get hit with a criminal trespass.
DFWTLR
AG
nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

If they want to, yes. Although I suspect they will just call the police. If a store says you have to wear a mask to enter and shop and you refuse and walk past them you are going to get hit with a criminal trespass.

According to lord Clay there is no government enforcement of this.
nai06
AG
DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I'm talking about if a store makes it their policy to shop with a mask. You can't refuse and just walk in the store and shop.
Ol Jock 99
AG
This is what grinds my gears about these local politicians. He could've said "highly encourage everyone to wear masks, and encourage stores to make it policy." But no. He went with an unenforceable edict and pissed everyone off.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
You misspelled Democrat
Proposition Joe
You make it an unenforceable edict because as has been made crystal clear over the last month, when you tell people they should do something they follow it one level less, because they don't think it really applies to them, just everyone else.

You say 50 people can't gather, and you'll keep 100 people from gathering. You say 10 people can't gather, and you'll keep 50 people from gathering.

You suggest to people they wear masks, 50% will do so. You make it an "unenforceable edict", 75% will do so.

The rollout leading to the shelter-at-home essentially proved this.
DFWTLR
AG
nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I'm talking about if a store makes it their policy to shop with a mask. You can't refuse and just walk in the store and shop.

I'm not sure that's correct...

Even a store 'policy' won't make it criminally enforceable
Phat32
AG
Never seen more people at White Rock Lake. Damn.

double aught
AG
DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Are you sure? I think a business owner can kick anyone they please out of their store, as long as it's not due to them being part of a protected class.
DFWTLR
AG
double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Are you sure? I think a business owner can kick anyone they please out of their store, as long as it's not due to them being part of a protected class.

Sure, they can kick whoever they want out, but the police won't and can't do anything. If a store said you have to wear a purple shirt to shop and they would call the cops on anyone not wearing a purple shirt nothing would happen, same scenario.

I assume most stores will have someone at the door 'making sure' you're wearing a mask, but they won't do anything if you aren't.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
hatchback said:

One thing that will help is people wearing face coverings when out in public (when social distancing cannot be maintained) or to essential businesses for the foreseeable future.

I haven't been wearing a mask/face covering when going to visit my job site, but I'll start that next week.

So should the local government have instituted the mask order earlier when they were forecasting much higher serious cases and deaths? I can't wrap my head around this now being a necessity, when the actual rates have been much lower than all of their forecasts, but it wasn't a necessity before.
double aught
AG
I don't think the CDC recommended it until recently. Plus, it seems like a good precaution for people to take as businesses are opened back up.
nai06
AG
DFWTLR said:

double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Sure, they can kick whoever they want out, but the police won't and can't do anything. If a store said you have to wear a purple shirt to shop and they would call the cops on anyone not wearing a purple shirt nothing would happen, same scenario.

I assume most stores will have someone at the door 'making sure' you're wearing a mask, but they won't do anything if you aren't.
I'm guessing you've never been to a club with a strictly enforced dress code. Its the same thing IMO.
CampingAg
AG
DFWTLR said:

double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Uhh I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure if a privately owned business asks you to leave for any reason (other than the protected class exception) and you don't, that's grounds for the police to take action.
DFWTLR
AG
nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I'm guessing you've never been to a club with a strictly enforced dress code. Its the same thing IMO.

I agreed that stores can try and kick whoever they want out, but the cops won't do a damn thing about it and they don't at clubs either.
DFWTLR
AG
CampingAg said:

DFWTLR said:

double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Uhh I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure if a privately owned business asks you to leave for any reason (other than the protected class exception) and you don't, that's grounds for the police to take action.

I'm no lawyer either, but that's not correct. The business, or anyone for that matter, can call the cops but they won't do anything unless you have done something illegal.
CampingAg
AG
DFWTLR said:

CampingAg said:

DFWTLR said:

double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I'm no lawyer either, but that's not correct. The business, or anyone for that matter, can call the cops but they won't do anything unless you have done something illegal.
I'm pretty sure staying on private property after being asked to leave is illegal in and of itself.
Post removed:
by user
nai06
AG
DFWTLR said:

CampingAg said:

DFWTLR said:

double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Not leaving when a business owner asks you to leave is something illegal. Its criminal trespassing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.