Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,464 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
hatchback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yukmonkey said:

hatchback said:

was a Garland woman in her 80s who did not have underlying health conditions

Sorry she's 80+. Life expectancy in US for women is 78.
She still died from Covid-19 and should be included in the death count. What's your point?
hatchback
AG
Wozlaw said:

I'm sure this has been answered, but when were the 109 reported today actually tested? Isn't there a 10-day or gap before you get results? Trying to figure out if that's 109 new cases today, or 109 new cases a week or so ago.
According to Dallas County Health and Human Services, there's an average of about 4 days lag time between "specimen collection to receipt of test results."
Phat32
AG
"no underlying health conditions"
Proposition Joe
yukmonkey said:

hatchback said:

Is this really necessary?
Proposition Joe
yukmonkey said:

"no underlying health conditions"

You do understand that the average life expectancy # you quoted for women is impacted greatly by women that do have underlying health conditions, right?

I mean, even if your comment wasn't completely callous, it's statistically akin to saying "the 85 year old woman that was shot in the head isn't significant because the average woman only lives to 78".
Hood
AG
Phat32
AG
Sorry if I offended, but the reality is that she's high risk due to her age for just about any ailment.

My issue was saying "no pre-existing conditions" right after saying she was 80+. If you catch just about anything when you are 80+, you are in trouble.
Phat32
AG
How can they justify continuing to keep things closed? If they extend the shelter-in-place into May, people should ****ing riot.
Hood
AG
yukmonkey said:

How can they justify continuing to keep things closed? If they extend the shelter-in-place into May, people should ****ing riot.
It will be hard to justify it beyond April 30, absolutely. I would expect Abbott to begin a phased relaxation of restrictions on certain businesses building up to business as usual.

The interesting thing will be if Lord Jenkins tries to make a name for himself by extending it for Dallas County, which I suspect might backfire, as his voters are suffering as much as anyone.
The Collective
AG
Jenkins will get run over by Abbott if he goes against his will.
DFWTLR
AG
Hood said:

yukmonkey said:

It will be hard to justify it beyond April 30, absolutely. I would expect Abbott to begin a phased relaxation of restrictions on certain businesses building up to business as usual.

The interesting thing will be if Lord Jenkins tries to make a name for himself by extending it for Dallas County, which I suspect might backfire, as his voters are suffering as much as anyone.

I can't see collin or tarrant county extending theirs, but from everything Clay says it seems he is hell bent on his shelter in place order remaining until after our 'peak'.
Hood
AG
DFWTLR said:

Hood said:

yukmonkey said:

I can't see collin or tarrant county extending theirs, but from everything Clay says it seems he is hell bent on his shelter in place order remaining until after our 'peak'.
Hard to find a peak in there... maybe the 6th based on ventilator usage?
Objective Aggie
AG
Proposition Joe said:

yukmonkey said:

hatchback said:

An 80 year old woman in the US has an additional 10 year life expectancy.
So COVID took 10 years away.

Proposition Joe
yukmonkey said:

Sorry if I offended, but the reality is that she's high risk due to her age for just about any ailment.

My issue was saying "no pre-existing conditions" right after saying she was 80+. If you catch just about anything when you are 80+, you are in trouble.

Didn't offend, there's just no sense in being purposely antagonistic or defensive -- nobody was pointing out her death like some harbinger of doom or that it signifies this thing being further out of control.

I don't necessarily disagree with the point you are trying to make, I just think you should choose one of the many other posts about the topic to fight that battle -- not one pointing out simply that an elderly woman died.
Proposition Joe
SoupNazi2001 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Proposition Joe said:

yukmonkey said:

hatchback said:

Are you saying the average life expectancy for a woman in the U.S. is 90 because that isn't remotely correct?

He's likely saying the average life expectancy for a woman in the U.S. with no underlying health conditions is near 90.

Good grief. Some posters have taken to "yeah some people are going to die it happens every day lets open the economy back up now!" posting so much that they are replying to posts that aren't even taking the opposite position.
DFWTLR
AG
Proposition Joe said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Proposition Joe said:

yukmonkey said:

hatchback said:

Are you saying the average life expectancy for a woman in the U.S. is 90 because that isn't remotely correct?

He's likely saying the average life expectancy for a woman in the U.S. with no underlying health conditions is near 90.

Good grief. Some posters have taken to "yeah some people are going to die it happens every day lets open the economy back up now!" posting so much that they are replying to posts that aren't even taking the opposite position.

Huh? You believe a womans life expectancy is near 90 in the US?

And yes, most people are ready for this shut down to end. We have lost roughly 600-700 jobs per death, seems absolutely absurd. Not saying go 100% back to normal operation day 1, but get a real plan together that includes sheltering the elderly and high risk. No reason for Texas to extend any of this past May 1.
Objective Aggie
AG
DFWTLR said:

Proposition Joe said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Proposition Joe said:

yukmonkey said:

hatchback said:

Huh? You believe a womans life expectancy is near 90 in the US?

And yes, most people are ready for this shut down to end. We have lost roughly 600-700 jobs per death, seems absolutely absurd. Not saying go 100% back to normal operation day 1, but get a real plan together that includes sheltering the elderly and high risk. No reason for Texas to extend any of this past May 1.

The average woman may live to be 78. But some people die when they are 5. Some when they are 30.

But if a woman loves to be 80, her life expectancy is then 90.
hatchback
AG
DFWTLR said:

And yes, most people are ready for this shut down to end. ... Not saying go 100% back to normal operation day 1, but get a real plan together that includes sheltering the elderly and high risk. No reason for Texas to extend any of this past May 1.
I'm ready for things to be on the path back to normal if only to get TexAgs to calm the fck down. Everyone is cooped up, stressed out, and things on this site are becoming unbearable. I've basically stopped reading the COVID-19 forum because (other than a few informative threads) it's become a war zone.
DFWTLR
AG
hatchback said:

DFWTLR said:

And yes, most people are ready for this shut down to end. ... Not saying go 100% back to normal operation day 1, but get a real plan together that includes sheltering the elderly and high risk. No reason for Texas to extend any of this past May 1.
I'm ready for things to be on the path back to normal if only to get TexAgs to calm the fck down. Everyone is cooped up, stressed out, and things on this site are becoming unbearable. I've basically stopped reading the COVID-19 forum because (other than a few informative threads) it's become a war zone.

Then quit replying so much, and when you do don't delete the message like you did above with three dots...600-700 times more people have filed for unemployment than have died, this shutdown is destroying way more lives than the disease.
hatchback
AG
I've posted on that forum 1 time in the last week with simple information about Dallas ISD on a thread discussing ISDs. That thread then devolved into a cacophony of people arguing in circles.

The vast majority of my other posts about Covid19 have been on this forum with local updates. Not sure why that's got you so bent out of shape.
DFWTLR
AG
Didn't mean anything about the other forum, just found it peculiar removing info from a post. And this lock down has me bent out of shape, not you buddy.
webgem08
AG
I really wish DCHHS would break out "close contact" and "presumed community transmission" into their own categories.

I can't imagine why they would want you to think that most people are just getting this at the grocery store and its not safe for you to be out of your home.
Hood
AG
Texas is tied for 11th in lowest per capita death rate. It's pretty good given how much bigger our state is than the 10 in front of us.

Post removed:
by user
Phat32
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

There is no logical reason DFW's stay at home orders should be extended past 4/30.
Correct
752bro4
AG
The Shank Ag
Hood said:

Texas is tied for 11th in lowest per capita death rate. It's pretty good given how much bigger our state is than the 10 in front of us.

Almost all red states. No real connection, but still interesting
Ol Jock 99
AG
Masks required. Wearing one is a good idea, but how is that remotely enforceable, much less constitutional?

And honestly, to have a public health impact, should have been done 2 weeks ago.
Bobcat06
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Hood said:

Virus spreads more effectively in urban areas with higher population density. The inverse is true with slower spread in rural areas with low population density.

Red vs Blue breakdown has a high correlation to Rural vs Urban
The Shank Ag
Bobcat06 said:

The Shank Ag said:

Hood said:

Virus spreads more effectively in urban areas with higher population density. The inverse is true with slower spread in rural areas with low population density.

Red vs Blue breakdown has a high correlation to Rural vs Urban
True, though some strong blue states are pretty spread out/not urban as well (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire)
DFWTLR
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Masks required. Wearing one is a good idea, but how is that remotely enforceable, much less constitutional?

And honestly, to have a public health impact, should have been done 2 weeks ago.
It's not constitutional, but neither is fining people for getting within 6 feet of each other. Grocery stores, etc can enforce it pretty easily, no entrance unless you're wearing a mask.
Phat32
AG
So cases have plateaued but we need additional restrictions? **** you Clay.
Post removed:
by user
powerbelly
AG
yukmonkey said:

So cases have plateaued but we need additional restrictions? **** you Clay.
It is all about power. Clay Jenkins does not give a single **** about any Dallas resident but himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.