Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

389,546 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agcrock2005 said:

mncag said:

You need either way more testing or lockdown. We we will all no someone who has it and in 2 or 3 weeks odds are we know someone who died.
This is really dumb...how does more testing help the situation? I know which way you vote based off of your idiotic statement. Even if you have the damn virus and aren't feeling badly, then why in the hell do you need to take the test? Save the limited tests for the sick people (not that many yet).
Maybe lighten up a little? And also, why are you making it political?
CampingAg
AG
I'm admittedly a noob on how city government works. Can someone explain like I'm 5 what the county judge does and why he is the spokesperson for this situation?
John Francis Donaghy
CampingAg said:

I'm admittedly a noob on how city government works. Can someone explain like I'm 5 what the county judge does and why he is the spokesperson for this situation?

Googled it myself a few days ago because I was wondering the same thing. From what I read the County Judge is the head of the County Commissioners Court, which is like a city council but at the County Level. Dallas's consists of 4 Commissioners and one "Judge" which is Jenkins. So basically he sounds like Dallas County's top manager.

That's what I found on a quick search, if anyone knows better I'd be happy to hear it too.
Phat32
AG
I'd bet a lot of money that not only will no one I know die from this in 3 weeks, but no one I know will ever die from this.

That doesn't mean it's not serious, but come on.
Fitch
AG
Look up Lina Hildalgo or Ed Emmet from Harris County. I moved from Dallas to Houston about 4 years back and learned how big of a player the county judge is only after getting down here.
agcrock2005
AG
I apologize for being a dick. Was late and just found out I couldn't go to work and was annoyed because every day during the press conferences reporters ask these loaded questions "when can every single American get tested" and the doctors (Birx and Fauci I believe) get up there and say that they're not needed and even if they had enough tests to test everyone, they wouldn't recommend it for a variety of reasons including there can be false negatives/positives due to timing of symptoms.
double aught
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

CampingAg said:

Googled it myself a few days ago because I was wondering the same thing. From what I read the County Judge is the head of the County Commissioners Court, which is like a city council but at the County Level. Dallas's consists of 4 Commissioners and one "Judge" which is Jenkins. So basically he sounds like Dallas County's top manager.

That's what I found on a quick search, if anyone knows better I'd be happy to hear it too.
There was a long article in the DMN a few years ago about the Ebola response. It was pretty interesting. I don't remember all the specifics, but at the time, the county and city officials were waiting for the CDC or another federal agency to come take over. They finally realized no one was coming, and it fell to the county and Jenkins specifically.
The Shank Ag
1-10 confidence meter:

Tarrant follows suit of Dallas and shuts down by Wednesday at 11:59 (Meeting Tuesday night for commissioners court)
Quinn
AG
Does shelter in place mean that we technically aren't even supposed to be outside unless we are going to the hospital/pharmacy/grocery store? Like I'm not supposed to take my kids for a walk in the neighborhood?
The Shank Ag
Quinn said:

Does shelter in place mean that we technically aren't even supposed to be outside unless we are going to the hospital/pharmacy/grocery store? Like I'm not supposed to take my kids for a walk in the neighborhood?
You are still allowed to go on a walk/run outside if you keep 6 feet from people. As well as go into your yard and grill, throw a ball around, etc.

SIP means not leaving your property to congregate anywhere other than grocery store, pharmacy, or other essential retail/health location. (Hope that still means Gas stations, as I need to go stock up on beer if it doesn't)

walton91
Outdoor exercise/activity is allowed provided people are observing social distancing. There have been reports of pick up basketball games, crowded Katy Trail, etc which should be avoided
PatAg
AG
My interpretation is people just need to put their social life on pause for a couple weeks.
CampingAg
AG

CampingAg said:

Interesting. Thanks! Unless I'm mistaken I don't recall seeing any other County Judges as the spokesperson for other places.
wangus12
AG
Ag CPA said:

Tarrant just gave Dallas the bird, things finally getting back to normal around here.

Looks like Tarrant voted to arrest or fine anyone disobeying their Coronavirus policy. Sounds like a dictatorship lol
mavsfan4ever
AG
So I'm guessing you can still drive places other than grocery stores? For example, you could get in your truck and drive somewhere outside of the order? And then go back to your house?
duck79
AG
That's one of the problems. What good does it do to shelter in place in one county when all others aren't following the same protocol. I understand that it will deter some congregating but in the grand scheme of things this should probably fall over the entire metro or none.
The Collective
AG
Guess PD will need to lockdown Dallas County. Show us your papers.
aggolfer
AG
So if they are not arresting for petty crimes and letting folks out of jail, what are they doing to enforce?
Phat32
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

So I'm guessing you can still drive places other than grocery stores? For example, you could get in your truck and drive somewhere outside of the order? And then go back to your house?
I'd assume that as long as you are not exposing yourself or others (just driving around or to a point and back does not do this), then there is no problem. But I'm not Comrade Jenkins.
walton91
CampingAg said:

CampingAg said:

Interesting. Thanks! Unless I'm mistaken I don't recall seeing any other County Judges as the spokesperson for other places.
Houston is the first place I remember seeing/hearing it, probably during Harvey or some other local disaster
JR Ewingford
Business as usual in Tarrant as far as I can tell. You gonna need a lot of cops to shut us all down.
hatchback
AG
Spoke with the contractor on my residential construction project. One of his guys was pulled over, told he couldn't go to the job site, and then followed home by the officer.

Never mind the fact that:
1. The order doesn't go into effect until tonight.
2. Residential construction is considered an "Essential Business" as "Essential Critical Infrastructure".

Dallas County, the City of Dallas, and/or Dallas PD are already using this as an excuse for racial profiling.
walton91
My company sent out a memo to us today that we can use to show that we are employed by an essential business. The police are in a tough spot here too. People can just tell them anything. I had not thought of it before but its a good idea to provide employees with something extra
Comeby!
AG
Here's the document that lists businesses that are considered Critical infrastructure.

I've seen many companies consider themselves 'critical' when they are not.

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/CISA_Guidance_on_the_Essential_Critical_Infrastructure_Workforce_508C_0.pdf

That being said, there's a discrepancy between the Dallas county order and DHS designations of critical business.
Hincemm
AG
hatchback said:

Spoke with the contractor on my residential construction project. One of his guys was pulled over, told he couldn't go to the job site, and then followed home by the officer.

Never mind the fact that:
1. The order doesn't go into effect until tonight.
2. Residential construction is considered an "Essential Business" as "Essential Critical Infrastructure".

Dallas County, the City of Dallas, and/or Dallas PD are already using this as an excuse for racial profiling.
man...that's weird. esp based on #1
Robert C. Christian
AG
Hunt and Rockwall counties are moving to S.I.P. Neither county has a confirmed case, yet.
Quinn
AG
Had to run up to my office by the Galleria to grab a few things before the shelter in place and I was pretty surprised by the amount of traffic on 635. I wouldn't say it was normal traffic, but it wasn't a whole lot lighter. I guess a lot of people still have to go to work? Or they don't care and still want to be out?
Carlo4
AG
last minute people heading home. My office left in a pretty quick rush between 1 and 2. Also, people getting last minute items. Figure today would be busier than normal.
Ag CPA
AG
Looks like the hammer is about to drop on most of the rest of DFW tomorrow.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/fort-worth-mayor-says-yall-stay-safe-yall-stay-healthy-yall-stay-home-stricter-response-coming-tuesday/2337225/
bangobango
AG
DFWTLR
AG
And our fine county judge Clay Jenkins is suggesting this lockdown will last months not weeks, unreal.
wangus12
AG
No way that happens. It isn't sustainable and people will go back to work
Spaceship
AG
DFWTLR said:

And our fine county judge Clay Jenkins is suggesting this lockdown will last months not weeks, unreal.

The other day when he was talking about toilet paper, I felt like I was seeing an SNL sketch.
agcrock2005
AG
Agreed. Thought trumps presser this afternoon was pretty good indication that we are going back to work in a few weeks max. Dr Birx seemed to back that up with being able to test lots more people and isolate them by that time rather than keeping everyone locked up.
Phat32
AG
No ****ing way. For a 1% killer? Go **** yourself Clay.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.