Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,153 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
riverrataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It wasn't a mis-understanding. They meant every word. They just didn't predict how people would respond.

So now they are driving back to fear to control people. Fear controls.
Post removed:
by user
NomadicAggie
AG
So far Tarrant county has had 7,334 positive tests and 197 deaths (zero under age 25). With 2 million people in the county, that means .04% of the county has tested positive and .001% have died. I'm aware that those numbers are likely somewhat understated, but what am I missing? What am I supposed to be freaking out about? This is the third most populous county in the state. Only 81 new cases reported today.
Ol Jock 99
AG
COVID wasn't anything 6ish months ago and will be a Top 10 killer in 2020 (maybe Top 5) and was the #1 killer at least one month (April I believe).

Is it real? Yes
Is it serious? Yes
Should we be taking common sense preventative steps to slow? Yes
Is it worth destroying the global economy to slow? In all likelihood, no way.
AustinAg2K
Ol Jock 99 said:

COVID wasn't anything 6ish months ago and will be a Top 10 killer in 2020 (maybe Top 5) and was the #1 killer at least one month (April I believe).

Is it real? Yes
Is it serious? Yes

It's also not going anywhere, for at least a year. The summer heat has done nothing to show it as people predicted, so we need to figure out how to live with it. Being locked down until a vaccine arrives is unrealistic.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Duncan Idaho
AustinAg2K said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Is it real? Yes
Is it serious? Yes

It's also not going anywhere, for at least a year. The summer heat has done nothing to show it as people predicted, so we need to figure out how to live with it. Being locked down until a vaccine arrives is unrealistic.

You act like there is somewhere between being on lock down for the next year or two and partying like it 2019.

TexasAggie008
AG
Since i've often complained about the data presentation throughout this (e.g. - "total cases" as the end all be all), I finally decided to look through the actual source data that the county posts... the link (6.16) is below along with some observations I picked out.

I'm not trying to prove any particular point here, but some interesting things imo.....If anyone sees any errors or thinks i unfairly failed to mention something, lets hear it.

https://www.dallascounty.org/departments/dchhs/2019-novel-coronavirus.php

Hospitalizations to date ------ 2,108

- 16% (342) are/were on ventilators
- 28% (595) of those were/are in ICU

-----ICU admissions last 4 weeks: 45 on 5.23...35 on 5.30...30 on 6.6...22 on 6.13
-----non-ICU admissions last 4 weeks: 164 on 5.23...89 on 5.30...101 on 6.6...128 on 6.13
-----TOTAL admissions last 4 weeks: 209.................124.................131.............150

- 1% were 17 or under
- 20% were 18-40

- 54% had pre existing condition of some kind
- 32% had diabetes specifically

- 15% white
- 51% Hispanic
- 22% black

**34% listed employment of some kind
- 34% were not employed (includes retired, children, homemakers, etc)
- 1% were students
- 31% not reported

**of the 34% listing employment (638 total):

-- 4.8% (90) healthcare workers - includes 15 nurses, 4 doctors
-- 4.3% (80) in transportation - includes 12 with airlines, 10 postal, 16 ride share
-- 5.6% (104) worked in restaurants/ grocery stores - 21 and 36 people, respectively
-- 3.8% (71) retail workers

Deaths to date - 293

- 0% 16 or under
- 6% 17-40

- 37% were residents of long-term care facilities
- 68% had pre existing condition of some kind
- 40% had diabetes specifically

- 32% white
- 38% Hispanic
- 24% black

- 65% male

-----deaths last 4 weeks: 27 on 5.23...27 on 5.30...19 on 6.6...16 on 6.13

TexasAggie008
AG
One of the more misleading statements in the document is in the summary - and is also a thread within a narrative you hear often -

"Of cases requiring hospitalization who reported employment, over 80% have been critical infrastructure workers, with a broad range of affected occupational sectors, including: healthcare, transportation, food and agriculture, public works, finance, communications, clergy, first responders and other essential functions."

...problem is, only 34% of the total hospitalizations to date (638 of 1,857) did report employment. So technically "over 80%" (543 of 638) were critical infrastructure workers (or 29% of the total)...but even that broad category includes several professions.

Below is looking at # of hospitalized by profession (and as % of total hospitalized).

(btw - I am not attempting to blow off these figures as immaterial or suggest that front line workers aren't among the most at-risk...moreso pointing out that there isn't a shockingly high % of of any one profession really...which maybe is a good thing since it means the "risk" of going to work is more evenly distributed among the masses than is advertised?)

nurses - 15 (.8%)
dr's - 4 (.2%)
other medical - 71 (3.8%)

airlines - 12 (.6%)
postal - 10 (.5%)
rideshare - 16 (.9%)
truck drivers/freight etc - 42 (2.3%)

grocery - 21 (1.1%)
restaurant - 36 (1.9%)
food processing - 47 (2.5%)

construction - 50 (2.7%)
sanitation/landscaping - 35 (1.9%)

finance/banking - 28 (1.5%)

law enforcement/first responders - 16 (.9%)

retail etc - 71 (3.8%)

Fitch
AG
Oh my...
Quote:

Later, Abbott doubled down on his criticism of Jenkins, telling KDFW-TV (Channel 4) in Dallas that the judge "is two-faced" and seeks to abuse his position.

Asked about the letter from the mayors, including the five in North Texas, Abbott turned back to hammering Jenkins.

"The only reason why they want to increase requirements on people in Dallas County with regard to masks is so Judge Jenkins can play sheriff and go out and try to arrest people and put them behind bars," he said. "And putting people behind bars is the wrong thing. He should not be stoking hysteria."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/16/watch-live-gov-greg-abbott-talks-about-rising-coronavirus-hospitalizations-in-texas/
TexasAggie008
AG
If you read Clay's condescending wise a** letter from earlier, it's pretty clear he continues to see this as a political grand stand and nothing more

The most baylor lawyer that ever baylor lawyered
Trucker 96
A baylor ambulance chaser. I challenge one to find a lower life form
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
I don't have the link, but saw he put some letter out today signaling we're about to have a rule requiring businesses to require masks, which Abbott has apparently blessed in San Antonio.
Fitch
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/17/san-antonio-leader-circumvents-texas-ban-on-fines-for-not-wearing-masks-with-gov-abbotts-blessing/

Quote:

Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday appeared to give his blessing to a move by the county judge in San Antonio to slap fines on businesses if they don't make their employees and visitors wear masks when they're less than six feet apart.

At least, Abbott didn't oppose the new edict by Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff.

"There has been a plan in place all along that all that was needed was for local officials to actually read the plan that was issued by the state of Texas," he said. "It turned out earlier today that the county judge in Bexar County finally figured that out."
Abbott raised no objections, telling KWTX anchor Pete Souza, "Just like they can require people to wear shoes and shirts, these businesses can require people to wear face masks if they come into their businesses. Now, local officials are just now realizing that that was authorized."
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Yup. Jenkins's twitter is all about mask requirements now. I'm sure we'll have a new rule in place in no time.
TxAG#2011
We should all be wearing masks tho. What's the downside again?
Robert C. Christian
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Freedoms.
Ag CPA
AG
It sounds like they are coming, at least at businesses.
agcrock2005
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

TxAG#2011 said:

Freedoms.

Exactly. Wear your own mask or stay the **** home if you're so worried. This **** still isn't killing anybody.
double aught
AG
U mad, bro? Businesses are back open.
Fitch
AG

TxAG#2011
Robert C. Christian said:

TxAG#2011 said:

Freedoms.

Oh right. You are so oppressed wearing a mask!
agcrock2005
AG
double aught said:

Yes I am. And they're trying to shut the crap back down again which is making me more mad.
Ag CPA
AG
And now Dallas County and JWP just declared racism a public health emergency. It's times like this I appreciate a Tarrant County address, still a lot of BS that goes on over here but it seems to stay checked from getting out of hand.
ac04
agcrock2005 said:

double aught said:

Yes I am. And they're trying to shut the crap back down again which is making me more mad.

if only there was something simple we could all do to slow the spread and prevent them from shutting the crap back down again. hmm
agcrock2005
AG
ac04 said:

agcrock2005 said:

double aught said:

if only there was something simple we could all do to slow the spread and prevent them from shutting the crap back down again. hmm

You know anyone who has died (or even come close to dying) from it?
PatAg
AG
I still say the issue with all of this, which is the same as a lot of things going on, it's their approach.
I think if it had been presented all along as, "If we wear the masks, we are less likely to accidentally transmit it to others. Please be considerate to each other and wear them when you are out" we would have seen way less push back against it. Who knows, I would never tell someone else to wear one or they are a bad person like a lot of dip****s are doing.
double aught
AG
Pat:

ac04
agcrock2005 said:

ac04 said:

agcrock2005 said:

double aught said:

no, but i know plenty of people who are hurting financially right now. whether or not i personally know someone who has died from it is completely irrelevant to whether masks could help us accelerate the recovery of the economy by slowing the spread and avoiding another shut down.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Obviously the question goes to the severity and whether requiring a dress code is reasonable considering that severity.
ac04
it's severe enough that the entire country went into lockdown for a little over 2 months. i don't want to go back there. i realize everyone's wardrobe is extremely important but it's probably not a priority right now.
agcrock2005
AG
ac04 said:

agcrock2005 said:

ac04 said:

agcrock2005 said:

double aught said:

no, but i know plenty of people who are hurting financially right now. whether or not i personally know someone who has died from it is completely irrelevant to whether masks could help us accelerate the recovery of the economy by slowing the spread and avoiding another shut down.
Yes, people are hurting financially because the government came in and told them they couldn't go to their jobs. It was shut down initially so that we could "flatten the curve" to ensure the hospitals could keep up with demand. At the time everyone was worried about capacity, ventilators, PPE, therapeutics, etc. We increased capacity significantly in a lot of areas and that's no longer an issue. Oh, and nobody is dying from this. I say "hurry the spread" and get over this nonsense.
Quinn
AG
While I agree that we need to open up because the financial damage has been huge, it's nonsensical to say that nobody is dying. 750+ confirmed deaths are reported per day because of COVID.
752bro4
AG
Quote:

Oh, and nobody is dying from this.

Generally young and healthy people aren't dying from this. But to say nobody is dying from this is just outright false.

We did flatten the curve to prevent an overload on hospitals/ICUs/PPE, we are clearly seeing another increase in hospitalizations.

If wearing a mask in stores is what helps our economy completely re-open, or avoid another shutdown, I'll continue to do so in stores. If nothing else, I think it's a show of respect to those employees who are working those jobs to let them know that I'll do my part to make them feel safer.
TexasAggie008
AG
So people who are higher risk ... that after 3 months of "raised awareness", leave the house anyway (maybe without a mask) .... and then end up getting covid/in the hospital...it's not THEIR fault at all, it's these damn non mask wearers !?

Leave the house or don't leave the house

Go to bars and restaurants, or don't

Its even more simple than "just wear a mask!!!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.