Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,138 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
Bonfire1996
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nearly every college campus had a spike in cases this Spring. None, to my knowledge, had a spike in hospitalizations much less deaths.

It may be the case that a jump in cases amongst certain segments of the population lead to jumps in hospitalizations and deaths, ie olds and fats, but it is certainly not the case with the vast majority of the US population. Especially people under 50.
YouBet
AG
It's interesting to contrast updates from Clay and the mayor. Clay only ever cares/cared about covid while the mayors updates are almost totally fixated on our crime problem.

I'm not sure what folks think about the Dallas mayor in general but his covid updates are basically "get the vaccine if you can" and then he goes right back to crime and safety.

His priorities seem to be in much greater alignment to mine.
harge57
AG
The correlation is about half of what it was over the summer. I.e. peak of 40k cases for 500 daily deaths vs. 80k cases for daily 550 deaths. That could be for many reasons like treatment, vulnerable populations being better protected or already dead, and availability of testing. The positivity rate for both peaks are almost identical at ~30%. I think number of cases is a decent predictor, but number of cases isn't really that big of a deal as long as the vulnerable are protected. Hell a high number of cases for people under 30 could be argued as a positive.
tysker
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Sorry. This is the first report I've seen with it under 100. ClayJay isn't as regular with them as he used to be and the mayor isn't updating at all, so I may have missed one earlier.

Claiming new cases don't matter was and is dumb. A spike in cases leads to a spike in hospitalizations which leads to a spike in deaths. Happily, new cases have been low for some time and are continuing to fall. Very good news.
Factually incorrect since winter.

If hospitalizations lead to deaths maybe we should be rethinking the treatment at hospitals
FincAg
AG
I think he means, all things being equal, if positive cases rise you would think the similar or same % of positive cases needing hospitalization rises. And if the same or similar % of hospitalizations resulted in deaths, a rise in hospitalizations would result in a rise of deaths.

That is just how I interpreted it. I have a feeling our health system has a better handle on treating this than 6, 12, or 14 months ago. Still there are segments still in harms way if positive.
Ol Jock 99
AG
That is correct. Macro level, which what we've generally been discussing. Sure, if we were able to compare positive spikes in "northwestern Collin County daycares" vs "people of the age of 50 who live south of 30", using that generality would fall apart. But the powers that be haven't made that data available.
DFWTLR
AG
So if the data is incomplete as you then why is it a good measurable? Anyone old or high risk could have been done with their shots months ago, daily updates are a waste of time and energy at this point.
riverrataggie
AG
DFWTLR said:

So if the data is incomplete as you then why is it a good measurable? Anyone old or high risk could have been done with their shots months ago, daily updates are a waste of time and energy at this point.

Let it go bro.

And F*** Clay Jenkins
Ol Jock 99
AG
If you want to continue discussing the (hopefully) waning days of the biggest global health event of our lifetimes and it's specific impacts on North Texas, I welcome the conversation.

If not, there is a handy button at the top of every page to remove this from your watch list.
752bro4
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
Excellent
YouBet
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

If you want to continue discussing the (hopefully) waning days of the biggest, manufactured global health event of our lifetimes and it's specific impacts on North Texas, I welcome the conversation.

If not, there is a handy button at the top of every page to remove this from your watch list.
Bonfire1996
AG
Yeah the biggest global health event of our lifetime is AIDS. Not even close.

Covid is a respiratory illness that assisted in the deaths of, primarily, heavily immuno-compromised individuals.

AIDS fudged up millions of perfectly healthy lives.
Keegan99
AG
Tuberculosis kills 1.4 million people annually. Seems like a bigger deal to me.

And lockdown policies will increase that total dramatically. In a ham-fisted effort to save old people in the west, we sacrificed hundreds of thousands of young people in the developing world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/08/covid-set-to-cause-400000-surge-in-tb-deaths-as-medics-diverted
Bob Knights Paper Hands
DFWTLR said:

Let's put it this way - the number of cases is not completely askew of covid activity in the area. So while it may not be a great measurable to use for any quantitative purpose, it is a general indicator. Unless there is a better indicator, this is what we've got to work with. In this case extremely low numbers of positive tests tend to equal much lower covid activity than what we dealt with last summer or fall. Do you disagree with that? Do you see something that indicates the covid activity is not really depressed?
aggielostinETX
AG
Big rain coming
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Old Buffalo
AG
AggieLostinDallas said:

Big rain coming

Cryptic. Is the rain representative of cases? Is this a slight a weather men being a proxy for the CDC's guidance?
riverrataggie
AG
Old Buffalo said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

Big rain coming

Cryptic. Is the rain representative of cases? Is this a slight a weather men being a proxy for the CDC's guidance?

Depends if the jacket is off
aggielostinETX
AG
Old Buffalo said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

Big rain coming

Nah, just looking at radar this morning and posted in the wrong thread

AggieKatie2 said:
beerad12man
AG
CDC to require life vests when in public for this predicted wave.
752bro4
AG
beerad12man said:

I actually read that they've now stated driving with your flashers on in the rain still makes you look like a ruh-tard.
aggielostinETX
AG
beerad12man said:

#nottheonion/#notthebee

AggieKatie2 said:
Credible Source
AG
Keegan99 said:

Tuberculosis kills 1.4 million people annually. Seems like a bigger deal to me.

And lockdown policies will increase that total dramatically. In a ham-fisted effort to save old people in the west, we sacrificed hundreds of thousands of young people in the developing world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/08/covid-set-to-cause-400000-surge-in-tb-deaths-as-medics-diverted

Well clearly you're anti science
Rubble
AG
What does Lord Jenkins have to say about the new EO?
Rubble
AG
beerad12man said:

Now saying snorkels and fins will also be required, and highly suggest a scuba tank as well.
Hood
AG
Rubble said:

What does Lord Jenkins have to say about the new EO?
You'll be shocked to learn that he's whining. Again.

The fact that the guidance changed on a dime and only came AFTER a **** jobs report, a gas shortage, and other bad economic news, tells you how sciency all of this is.
riverrataggie
AG
People can still wear masks Leroy!
752bro4
AG
Under 100 cases today and this dildo spews a lot of diahhrea about the governor's order today.

Phat32
AG
When we reach 0 cases, will Lord Clay finally be okay with masks?

72 cases in a population of 2.6MM (a lot of which have had it or are vaccinated), and he's still recommending masks. What a colossal doofus.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
yukmonkey said:

When we reach 0 cases, will Lord Clay finally be okay with masks?

No way, dude. That's just the cases we know about. Think about all the cases you don't know about. You don't stop wearing pants to the supermarket just because you don't know many people that peed on other people do you?

Game. Set. Checkmate.
Phat32
Bonfire1996
AG
https://apple.news/ATlAqVyMyRaiY9gn3iR0VHg

Myocarditis showing up in vaccinated young males. FYI.
Credible Source
AG
But what about saving the ****in ******s from themselves?
FincAg
AG
Shows up in people young athletes who have been diagnosed with the flu as well. More likely than not because they have access to acute cardio respiratory monitoring due to their athletic affiliation to a program. They are monitored closely. They also recover on their own. Just generally speaking, not definitive in all cases, of course there are outliers.

From the article
"There have been "relatively few" reports of myocarditis and "most cases appear to be mild," but the COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Technical Work Group said it felt the potential issue should be communicated to providers.

The CDC noted that mRNA vaccines, which are made by Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech, are potentially causing the problem."
Bonfire1996
AG
Any side effect in young people will be significant because even the slightest prevalence has a chance to exceed the rate of hospitalization and death in young people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.