Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,145 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Run along to Forum 16 crock. You're lost again.
debased
AG
Never mind. No need to feed the troll. Crazy times we're in. Seems logic and compassion would be common sense
Bob Knights Paper Hands
While I agree that the "do nothing" case is not appealing, let's not act like the politicians have been honest with us in the least. The covid epidemic has been politicized and used as a power grab all over the country. In many situations the requirement of mask wearing appears more continuation of fear than in anyway concern over loss of life or trying to help economic recovery. I am required by law to wear a mask everywhere when I am not sneezing/coughing and when I'm social disctancing but we freely allow thousands of folks to travel to different cities and loot and riot with no care for the virus and that's cool? Any politician or person that tries to tell you both are okay is lying to themselves or trying to sell you something.
debased
AG
Appreciate the conversation. Completely agree about the politicians, I've seen falsehoods about this. I'm not trying to make this political at all. I didn't say anything about looting and rioting, which are illegal and bad. I think mixing looting/rioting and Peaceful protests is a reach. I think protesters should be masked. I think I should be too going to the store right now. You said you agree about the do nothing case is not good, then I'm curious what you suggest? Seems like a mask is a much better option in slowing things down that shutting things down again. It's cheap and minimally intrusive when you have to be around others.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
What are the statistics that show how much lower chance of infection you have in a socially distancing business, like a grocery store, with masks versus without masks? Were these actual results or based on models, and if actual results what were the controls?
debased
AG
http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

Here's one link. I'm not a health scientist at all, but I don't see how masks can only help and not hurt.
debased
AG
I just worry people are so dug in on either side this stuff doesn't matter. Shouldn't be political.
DFWTLR
AG
Every store, gas station, restaurant, etc I've been at not one person is unmasked, hearing the same from friends and family from across the state, yet cases have risen 5 days.

I wear a mask everywhere, but they are simply not a silver bullet.
debased
AG
agree not a silver bullet. Especially if you see how some are wearing masks.
DFWTLR
AG
Not trying to be a jerk, but do you think that is how this is spreading? The 5% who don't cover their nose at Super Target?
Ol Jock 99
AG
DFWTLR said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but do you think that is how this is spreading? The 5% who don't cover their nose at Super Target?

We went to a wedding 2 weeks ago. Probably 100 people. 60% Hispanic, 30% white, 10% other. 3 masks. My wife and me, and a 70 year old grandma. We busted out the N95s for it.
debased
AG
I don't think you're a jerk. I don't know how this is spreading so much, but if wearing a mask at target or Walmart or your work might help slow this down then great. It just seems that when we encourage masks, then cases go down a few weeks after
Trucker 96
I think there a lot of overweight ****s in america huffing and puffing droplets just to walk around in stores. Then mix in all of the allergy folks where, even if not a full blown sneeze, little micro coughs and congestion are spewing out some. So yeah, I do think that is one way it spreads and masks can provide some measure of protection.

Now I think a bigger issue has been mass, unmasked gatherings that then go back and infect everyone in their house. But it all adds up.
DFWTLR
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

DFWTLR said:

We went to a wedding 2 weeks ago. Probably 100 people. 60% Hispanic, 30% white, 10% other. 3 masks. My wife and me, and a 70 year old grandma. We busted out the N95s for it.

Thanks for the racial breakdown??

Did any of the other 97 people get covid?
Ol Jock 99
AG
If you don't think race is a factor, you haven't been paying attention.

Don't know. The mother of the groom works for us, so we'll probably hear if there some do.
DFWTLR
AG
Lol, so you're counting Hispanics making sure it's ok for you to go into a store? Better tell my Mexican wife to sleep on the couch.

If the wedding was 2 weeks ago and you haven't heard of an outbreak you're in the clear.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I wouldn't dare to opine on the manage of your household.
752bro4
AG
DFWTLR said:

Lol, so you're counting Hispanics making sure it's ok for you to go into a store? Better tell my Mexican wife to sleep on the couch.

If the wedding was 2 weeks ago and you haven't heard of an outbreak you're in the clear.
I don't think it takes much of a brain child to get what Jock is saying here. Hispanics make up more of the cases in Dallas Co. than any other ethnic background (55% of hospitalizations as of 7/31, 43% of deaths) despite only being 41% of the population. He went to a large gathering of about 100 people, many of whom very likely work in essential type jobs, are more likely to live in multi-generational housing, and are less likely to have insurance/good health care or to take advantage of it if they do have it.

There were minimal, if any measures taking place to help reduce the spread, including violating orders on gathering sizes. It's probably safe to assume that other similarly sized events without masks and other precautions have been occurring, combined with the likely job types and other factors pointed out above, it's why the Hispanic community has been hit harder.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bingo.

Unfortunately our lovely county judge thinks statistics are racist and isn't keen to let us know where the spikes are happening in our 3MM person county, but so it goes. Politics trumps (sic) facts; bipartisan.
harge57
AG
DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

DFWTLR said:

Thanks for the racial breakdown??

Did any of the other 97 people get covid?
And even if every single one of them got the haunted COVID, 96.5 of the 97 people would be fine (statistically speaking)
harge57
AG
752bro4 said:

DFWTLR said:

I don't think it takes much of a brain child to get what Jock is saying here. Hispanics make up more of the cases in Dallas Co. than any other ethnic background (55% of hospitalizations as of 7/31, 43% of deaths) despite only being 41% of the population. He went to a large gathering of about 100 people, many of whom very likely work in essential type jobs, are more likely to live in multi-generational housing, and are less likely to have insurance/good health care or to take advantage of it if they do have it.

There were minimal, if any measures taking place to help reduce the spread, including violating orders on gathering sizes. It's probably safe to assume that other similarly sized events without masks and other precautions have been occurring, combined with the likely job types and other factors pointed out above, it's why the Hispanic community has been hit harder.
The majority of COVID spread happens in the household. Take a look at average size of household by race and % of multi-generational households and you will start to find some correlation.
tysker
AG
752bro4 said:

DFWTLR said:

Fwiw Hispanics, Blacks and Asians have similar levels of multi-generational living and by some estimates Asians multi-generational families number 10-15% more than Hispanics. And yet Asians don't have nearly the same number of cases or deaths. So while multi-generational living may be an issue other factors are likely to be more relevant.
riverrataggie
AG
I spoke to several as don't see them distancing or wearing masks. These consists of largely outside workers from people building a house down the street, lawn mowers, street repair and atmos guys replacing main lines. Now I get this is a small subset but they were consistent that the virus isn't a top worry of theirs as they have other problems to worry about.

One even called it a 1st world virus. Meaning it's a 1st world problem because there are bigger things to worry about, unless you live a 1st world life.

Just though it was interesting to share here.
harge57
AG
Agreed that other comorbidities likely have a large effect. Which I would assume explains the Asian/Hispanic discrepancy.
Ol Jock 99
AG
508 and 4 (Dallas County)
tysker
AG
At 508 cases there is a little over 1 case for every 2 square miles in Dallas county.
City Dumme
There's no freaking way they are spread out that evenly that's pretty much impossible
TexasAggie008
AG
But but the main root of blame for covid spread is 20somethings in uptown going to bars

Even though they've been closed for over a month
TexasAggie008
AG
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/08/05/la-large-house-party-covid-power-water-shutoff/

Clay just found a new best friend
752bro4
AG
230 and 10
Lowest single day count since June 1
Lowest T-7 (514.3) since June 30
Lowest T-14 (627.3) since July 5
55% reduction from our T-7 high (1,137)
riverrataggie
AG
Nice!
752bro4
AG
298 & 30 today. Deaths, of course, will lead the headlines, most of these are likely from June/July.

Good news:
  • T-7 - 489, 57% off of our peak (July 12)
  • T-14 - 537.5 (lowest since July 2), 51.5% off of our peak (July 17)
  • 21 out of 22 days below 850 new cases
  • Lowest Tuesday since June 9 (FTR, common misconception that Tuesdays are the high new case days. Since June 1, it's gone Fridays (675), Saturdays (663), Sundays (647), Mondays (596), Tuesdays (586), Thursdays (574), Wednesdays (560)
  • Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Saturdays do appear to be the high death information days (16/day/Tues, 12/day/Wed., 12/day/Sat.)
  • First 11 days of August vs. first 11 days of July - cases down 50.6%
  • First 11 days of August vs. last 11 days of July - cases down 27.4%
  • As of yesterday - Bed, ICU bed, Ventilator capacity remain steady

Deaths - some more of the "You've got to be f'n kidding me"
Yesterday - 1 death (90s/F/resident of a hospice care)
Today - 30 deaths (no dates attached to when they actually passed)...
30s - 1 underlying, 1 non
40s - 2 underlying
50s - 3 underlying, 1 non
60s - 4 underlying, 1 non
70s - 5 underlying
80s - 6 underlying, 2 non
90s - 0 underlying, 1 non
100s - 1 underlying
Ol Jock 99
AG
Deaths lag. It's going to happen. Keep those case numbers dropping. Hopefully testing positive percentages (anybody have a good source on these?) drop too.
TexasAggie008
AG
These maps show case totals by zip code in 2 week increments, and total cases since the start-

(https://public.tableau.com/profile/cityofdallasdtxinnovationteam/vizhome/CityofDallasCOVID-19Dashboard/Dashboard1#!/vizhome/Book3_15862351183220/DFWRegionalCases)

https://covid-analytics-pccinnovation.hub.arcgis.com/

Zip codes 75219 & 75204 (which cover most of Uptown/Oak Lawn/Knox and house lots of young professionals + bars/restaurants that are the main blame for the second wave per our boy Clay) - they are just about back to early-summer levels of new cases. Trends since early June are below -

14-day period end date - 75219 & 75204 new cases

June 9 - 19 & 22 new cases

June 23 - 81 & 85 new cases

July 7 - 158 & 221 new cases

July 21 - 123 & 195 new cases

Aug 4 - 55 & 69 new cases

So -

- The most new cases they had in any two week period was on July 7th (158 & 221)........so, at the absolute WORST of the "second wave", around 100 people in each zip code each week got covid.

- They've had 550 & 700 cases since the start....equating to around 2% of the county's total cases of 54K.

As a point of reference, the two highest zips - 75211 & 75217 - have total cases of 2,600 & 2,400. Both are in southern Dallas, along with many of the other high-case zips.

I know better than to think that local government officials will be questioned by the media for allocating a ridiculously large amount of time and energy to shaming 25 year olds for going to bars and restaurants and not #saferathome'ing...........while letting the usual parts of town bear the brunt of this...but man what a crock of shi*.

TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Great info and thanks for taking the time to weed through it. I noticed Clay's twitter is back to mostly shaming Republicans and begging for people to go to empty testing centers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.