Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake thread 2020

326,400 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Null and Void
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
betadawg1 said:

bh93 said:

Were you wearing shoes?

I wasn't.

I may have missed it but what's your general location? We get a fair amount of copperheads in my hood (Upper East Side- Houston).
mandevilleag
Great pic, but you need to fertilize.
betadawg1
AG
College Station
toolshed
AG

Caught in the pool at a camp my dad and brother operate north of BCS.
12f Mane
AG
Texas brown snake
mandevilleag
The little black racer in my yard has set up shop in my a/c compressor unit. I see him fairly regularly. Found his shed today

His head pulled out perfectly.
P.U.T.U
AG
In-laws didn't believe me when I said I can find a snake on the walking trails every time. Saw a diamondback water snake too far away for a good picture and a rat snake that I was trying to catch but it got away without a picture. I failed
FTAG 2000
AG
Friend posted on facebook a link to the following -

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?245718-Venomous-collection

Lots of great pics.
Fleen
Turkey vultures on the neighbors roof were making my chickens crazy... Went to investigate and found this guy (first time trying to use imgur)

https://imgur.com/a/0L6C0KO
Bulldog73
AG
How terrifying and incredible to see.
Badace52
AG
Did you kill it?

Pic help:

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fleen
No, the birds were on it. Had a yellow belly...
jreedag88
AG

Took these pics of this guy in the creek behind my house today in Montgomery Co. Tried to coax him out for a better pic but he went into a hole under the stump instead.
Fleen
Thanks for the Pic help (not sure what I'm doing wrong)
I couldn't tell if the turkey vultures got it but the neighbors aren't home during the week and the lawn guys weren't here today either.
I was thinking yellow bellied water snake. This worries the wife because the only body of water close by is our swimming pool...
Badace52
AG
You are right. It is a YBWS
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fleen
Strange because we don't have any creeks or such near by. I wouldn't think the turkey vultures would have snagged a live snake and dropped it in the neighbors yard...
BuddysBud
AG
Fleen said:

Strange because we don't have any creeks or such near by. I wouldn't think the turkey vultures would have snagged a live snake and dropped it in the neighbors yard...

A hawk or owl could have grabbed it and dropped it, giving the vultures an easy meal.
agcrock2005
AG
Friend found this one already dead and asked me. He thought cottonmouth. I said no, but wish I had more to look at. What do you guys say? I thought water snake, possibly YB, but I know nothing but what I've learned in this thread over the last several years. Thanks.

BuddysBud
AG
Definitely not a cottonmouth. I agree that it is a YBWS.
evestor1
No idea why pic is blurry - it is fine on phone.

NE Houston

Daddy-O5
AG
Diamondback Water Snake. Cool picture.
Badace52
AG
BuddysBud said:

Definitely not a cottonmouth. I agree that it is a YBWS.

You are both correct.
CM
magnumtmp
AG
Badace, is it true that Cottonmouths will swim with their body above the water line, where water snakes swim with just their head out? I didn't get a picture, but saw a snake swim across the lower Mountain Fork River in Beavers Bend SP this weekend. His body was out of the water, so I told my boys it was likely a Moccasin.
P.U.T.U
AG
magnumtmp said:

Badace, is it true that Cottonmouths will swim with their body above the water line, where water snakes swim with just their head out? I didn't get a picture, but saw a snake swim across the lower Mountain Fork River in Beavers Bend SP this weekend. His body was out of the water, so I told my boys it was likely a Moccasin.
He answered this one a few weeks ago. Most of the time they do swim on top of the water but when they hunt or maneuvering around objects they go under.

Wish I could have gotten a better picture and video yesterday of a DBWS. From the pattern, shape, and location I knew what it was but as it got closer to the shore it swam on top like a cottonmouth. I have seen a few other water snakes do the same thing when swimming closer to the shore.

From my experience cottonmouths have a little more angle from their backs to head when swimming, most of the time I see this on land too but it is not a big tell for most people. Where as most watersnakes have the bottom parts of their mouth in the water compared to a cottonmouth that keeps is slight above the water.
DatTallArchitect
AG
magnumtmp said:

Rattlesnakes and Copperheads can swim on top of the water as well. I don't believe any non-venomous snakes can swim on top of the water. Hopefully one of our experts will correct me if I'm wrong.
DaveAg02
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

magnumtmp said:

Rattlesnakes and Copperheads can swim on top of the water as well. I don't believe any non-venomous snakes can swim on top of the water. Hopefully one of our experts will correct me if I'm wrong.

Example of this from a recent Facebook post in a hunting/fishing forum...

BrokeAssAggie
This little dude just got my 8 year old on his big toe. Mom and grandma said, he needs to go to urgent care!

agsquirrel97
AG
MD1993 said:

Saw this one on a Facebook group called Creek Walker. I knew you guys would enjoy.

Not cool guys, not cool at all
12th Man Ag
AG
Looks like that toe may be a lost cause! At 8, he can relearn to walk without it!
mandevilleag
Tell grandma she grows nice ferns!
BrokeAssAggie
Going to relocate him to the neighborhood pond

Ptery83
That's a ratsnake I believe so just put him in a bush as high as your hat...
Sazerac
AG
Chicken snake vs ceramic eggs

Cromagnum
AG
DaveAg02 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

magnumtmp said:

Example of this from a recent Facebook post in a hunting/fishing forum...

When they are swimming and angry do they sound like little trolling motors?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Blue star.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.