Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake thread 2020

327,353 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Null and Void
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My turn. About 18". Nassau Bay wildlife park about 1030 today. My guess is DBWS.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Location? My guess would be an indigo
DatTallArchitect
AG
Going by the color pattern and tail, it looks like a water moccasin to me.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Going by the color pattern and tail, it looks like a water moccasin to me.
Yep, Cottonmouth all the way
Scoopen Skwert
AG
You didn't mess with it did you?

That's a nope rope.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Didn't mess with it at all. Had my son in the stroller. Saw it on the path, got close enough for the pic, then watched it turn around and go back in the weeds just before some bike riders came by. It certainly wasn't scared of us. I think the bikes are what made it turn around.
PharmD4
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Location? My guess would be an indigo

CS. I was thinking a racer, but I honestly don't know if I could tell them apart belly-down.

I ran over, probably got within 10 feet before it darted into the bushes.
Badace52
AG
Based off surroundings, length and how it is looking around while moving, I would say probably coachwhip. Where was it?

Edit after location info: Even more likely coachwhip then with that dark coloration
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Billy Gucci
AG

Some lady posted on Nextdoor needing help to identify a rattlesnake...

Here is the questionable venomous snake:

toolshed
AG
Eastern Diamondback by my eye. And yes to venom...

Should have asked her if she brought it in for testing!
zooguy96
At least they didn't think it was poisonous.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Badace52
AG
Pretty sure it is a western diamondback. If this was in Texas, which I believe it is, then it was definitely a western. We don't really have Eastern Diamondbacks in Texas.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jgh85Ag
AG
My nephew got tagged by a copperhead on the hand Thursday afternoon. (Aledo) He was getting some herbs out of their garden. A lot of pain and bruising after about 10 hours in the ER. Main concern is he is a saxophone player working on his master's right now.
Badace52
AG
Ouch... Sorry that happened. Very rare to have long term complications from copperhead bites. However, in the short term, he is gonna be somewhat limited on his sax playing for sure.
CM
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sorry to hear that. Did he post it on SE TX snake ID as well? I seem to remember seeing a similar story there with pictures. Hope he's okay and back to normal soon.
toolshed
AG
Could be, I'm not a snake ID person by any means. I was going by the higher contrasting coloration on it. And it looked very similar to easterns that pop up in a google image search.
jgh85Ag
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sorry to hear that. Did he post it on SE TX snake ID as well? I seem to remember seeing a similar story there with pictures. Hope he's okay and back to normal soon.

I dont think so. He posted on a north Texas FB page.
Post removed:
by user
MD1993
AG
Saw this one on a Facebook group called Creek Walker. I knew you guys would enjoy.

BuddysBud
AG
Many on the birding thread might like this one also. It seems like an effective method for reducing the number of squirrels stealing your birdseed.
Post removed:
by user
MouthBQ98
AG
I lost another baby rooster today, but this time I captured their tormentor in the act. 5 foot rat snake. A quick grab with the snake tongs and it yielded up the dead bird, and then I grabbed it by the head and marched to to the garage where I keep my snake bucket with the secured lid.

I let it go about a third of a mile away. I've also caught 2 copperheads lurking around. Apparently the scent of birds draws them in.

If I keep the cage secured, they're fine. Both losses are when I had let the birds out into the chicken yard which is 1" mesh and not at all snakeproof, so I have to carefully check on them periodically if it's at all warm outside.

That had to be the least biter rat snake Inhave every handled. It did its rattler act but never struck at me.
Counterpoint
AG
Are leather work gloves strong enough to protect against rat snake bites? I've never been bitten by one, but I catch so many in my coop that it would be nice to know for future reference!

zooguy96
Counterpoint said:

Are leather work gloves strong enough to protect against rat snake bites? I've never been bitten by one, but I catch so many in my coop that it would be nice to know for future reference!

Yeah, leather gloves would be sufficient. I just pick em up behind the head if they are acting up. Most of the time, when I pick them up, they are pretty chill. Corn snakes are definitely chill. I carried one home one night I had found on the road and let it hang out on my arm as I was driving. The neighbors thought I was nuts.
SteveBott
AG
Rats are like a 120 volt ping. Gets your attention but not long term pain. I never cut off my electrical so know the feeling.
one MEEN Ag
AG
As a side note, on a house it's not the volts that kill but amps. 1 amp across the heart is enough to get it to defibrillate. Your lowest circuit breaker won't flip until 15 amps. If you're ever a low resistance, those amps will spike.

Would recommend flipping the circuit breaker, it's not worth telling cool stories about being shocked.
DaveAg02
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

As a side note, on a house it's not the volts that kill but amps. 1 amp across the heart is enough to get it to defibrillate. Your lowest circuit breaker won't flip until 15 amps. If you're ever a low resistance, those amps will spike.

Would recommend flipping the circuit breaker, it's not worth telling cool stories about being shocked.

Dad was an electrician, grabbed the wrong wire when I was 6, died. I never mess around with live current.
BuddysBud
Billy Gucci
AG
Yes, this was posted just outside of Austin in Leander. Definitely a western diamondback.
xMusashix
AG
Had this sent by a friend. Don't know any details on it but curious to know what type of snake this is.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7qEEXzm
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I'll guess dbws. But not certain. Tail is off but that might be due to being stuck. Also on mobile can't see the head perfectly.

I'd still give it a lot of space.

Also is that a tarantula in the upper corner?

Badace52
AG
It is a young blotched/yellow-bellied/plain-bellied water snake (Nerodia erythrogaster). At the juvenile stage (as in this snake) all the subspecies look about the same.
CM
Ptery83

Friend in Virginia sent this?
zooguy96
Western Hognose. Virginia is not its range. Where was picture from? Could be someone's loose pet.
Badace52
AG
Was this taken in Virginia? If so, that is likely an escaped pet as Western hognoses don't live there and that one is unusually light for a wild snake anyway.
CM

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.