Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake thread 2020

326,383 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Null and Void
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CS78 said:

I don't care who shows up.

I'm there
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
12f Mane said:

Say when
I know I wasn't the first one........

Ryandawg
Found him in my house last night!
(Saved him from the dogs and safely relocated. That's their fur on him...)

agcrock2005
AG
Poisonous Copperhead?
Badace52
AG
No... not in the slightest. DBWS, and a young one.

Also snakes are not poisonous they are venomous. Personally I don't care which you say but a lot of people on the outdoors board have made that a pet peeve of theirs just fyi.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agcrock2005
AG
I was kidding...I've been lurking on this thread for several years.
HoldMyBeer
AG
I thought it was funny.
SteveBott
AG
Yea you want trigger the OB post

Poisonous
Clip
Silencer
Shotgun as home defense

There are plenty more
BuddysBud
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Poisonous Copperhead?

1990AG
AG

Great story from Wyman Meinzer. Spent some time with him in Benjamin in the past. Great outdoorsman, writer, storyteller, et al.

https://fieldethos.com/seeing-eye-to-eye-with-rattlesnakes/?fbclid=IwAR3oyNDN-YVB5Yyn50IXR0LAx152jkMJue0rut_wKMZWF3_cZN77Q3NRWXo

yakin ag
AG
My first rat snake of the year. Also found 2 rough earth snakes while doing front end loader work around the property.

https://imgur.com/fA7gg4I
Badace52
AG
Nice...

Pic posting help:
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swampstander
AG
Moving some bricks and disturbed this little guy. Sorry for the crummy pic. It's the best out of the three I snapped. He wasn't being real cooperative.
Badace52
AG
Location?

I believe that is a flat-headed snake. They were very common in New Braunfels when I lived there.
12f Mane
AG
Looks like it. They have awesome bellies.
swampstander
AG
Badace52 said:

Location?

I believe that is a flat-headed snake. They were very common in New Braunfels when I lived there.
Anderson County, East of Palestine.
P.U.T.U
AG
Went on a run today and did not have my phone with me. Saw 2 banded water snakes, 2 rat snakes (1 in a tree and one on the path), and one brown snake. Was able to grab one of the rat snakes so it did not get run over by a family riding their bikes and the family wanted to see it. If you were wondering the trail goes through a golf course with lots of cover and creeks.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG

Yesterday - not a great photo using my phone.
Badace52
AG
Can't see pic...
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Badace52 said:

Can't see pic...
Fixed it. Thanks.
Daddy-O5
AG

From the neighborhood page.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Look at the big, mean guy!

Dekays Brown Snake - harmless
Daddy-O5
AG
That was my semi educated guess as well. Nice to have confirmation.
PharmD4
AG
Nice camo...

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's an awesome picture! BBWS is damn near invisible.
Badace52
AG
Awesome pic. I've always thought that BBWS's were some of the most beautifully colored and patterned snakes out there, but man do they have a bad attitude.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's the damn truth! I have always wondered why they're such mean SOBs...
one MEEN Ag
AG
Saw this on reddit this morning. Thought y'all would appreciate it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/next****inglevel/comments/flmnsn/cowboy_kid_ropes_a_snake_in_a_chicken_coop/

well, reddit sucks with trying to share links. So here's a youtube version of it.

agswin1988
AG
I love this thread and have learned so much over the years watching it. Our neighbors have seen 2 in the last 2 days. Admittingly, they don't know snakes. I am no expert but have picked up on much just from watching this thread over the last 5 to 6 years or so.

Each time they thought it was a copperhead maybe. One was a young garter snake and the other was a broad banded water snake. Another on facebook in our subdivision posted a pic of a snake they had caught with those garden trash picker uppers. Anyways, they were asking what type of snake it was and many were saying copperhead also.

The snake people that claimed to be experts were saying it was a broad banded water snake. I was thinking that also because I noticed the perpendicular lines under the lower jaw, learned that on here (thanks).

I now look forward to seeing how good I am at identifying snakes because of this thread
txags92
AG
Coworker took this up near Caddo Lake yesterday. Can't see the normal cues I would use, but assuming Cottonmouth based on patterning?

JSKolache
AG
Coloring is right for a juvi & that head up is a cue
Badace52
AG
txags92 said:

Coworker took this up near Caddo Lake yesterday. Can't see the normal cues I would use, but assuming Cottonmouth based on patterning?

Correct.
txags92
AG
agswin1988 said:

I love this thread and have learned so much over the years watching it. Our neighbors have seen 2 in the last 2 days. Admittingly, they don't know snakes. I am no expert but have picked up on much just from watching this thread over the last 5 to 6 years or so.

Each time they thought it was a copperhead maybe. One was a young garter snake and the other was a broad banded water snake. Another on facebook in our subdivision posted a pic of a snake they had caught with those garden trash picker uppers. Anyways, they were asking what type of snake it was and many were saying copperhead also.

The snake people that claimed to be experts were saying it was a broad banded water snake. I was thinking that also because I noticed the perpendicular lines under the lower jaw, learned that on here (thanks).

I now look forward to seeing how good I am at identifying snakes because of this thread
I was never the "kill every snake" kind of guy, even as a kid. But what I will say is that since these threads started, my first thought any time I see a snake has gone from "oh sh*t" to "where is my phone, I need to get a picture for the Texags thread!".
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

"oh sh*t" to "where is my phone, I need to get a picture for the Texags thread!".

This is so funny and true! I wonder how many people actually have good encounters with snakes but fail to get a picture and are too ashamed to post about it here.
Kool
AG
North Georgia. Picture of head and eyes isn't the greatest, but???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.