Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake thread 2020

327,354 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Null and Void
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nope...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
zooguy96
It's a hognosed-copperhead-rattle-pit-viper snake.
Badace52
AG
Obviously...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
Eastern Ribbon Snake?
Badace52
AG
Nope not a garter or ribbon snake.
CM
txags92
AG
How about a Texas Patch-nosed Snake?
Badace52
AG
Bingo! We have a winner!

Salvadora grahamiae - Eastern patch-nosed snake

Texas patch nosed snake is one of its two subspecies and I think this one is probably a member of that subspecies, but when it gets to that level of distinction I will admit I'm somewhat out of my depth.
CM
12f Mane
4stringAg
AG
Badace52 said:

Alright guys. Got a really good one here. My friend sent me this pic for ID from her house in West Austin area this AM. Snake was not harmed. Any guesses? Not you 12f... give the others a shot.

Patchnose snake?

Edit: Darn it, someone guessed it before I could. Pretty snake.
HoldMyBeer
AG
"Great Blue Heron wrangles snake at Brazos Bend State Park"

Interesting that they identified the heron but not the snake. BBWS?

From KHOU in Houston...

Link to article

MouthBQ98
AG
Weird as hell. I am out running errands this morning and wife calls and sends me a picture of a big ass snake in the back yard (which we have fenced off so it is difficult for any snake to enter), and its belly up. I get home, and she says the dogs were messing with it, or checking it out, but no idea where it came from.

Upon examination, its about a 5 foot long coach whip. It appears dead, not breathing, but only freshly so. No rigor mortis. Keep in mind the last 2-3 nights were near or at freezing, and the days cool, so I have no idea why a snake would be out. It did get a bit warmer the last couple of days, but was still quite cool, except I suppose last night wasn't too bad. But a coach whip is a warm weather daytime hunter, and it wasn't even close to warm yesterday, though the sun was out. It had no visible injuries, either. If the dogs messed with it, it wasn't much.

It's really strange. I moved it outside the snake barrier fence, but it was definitely not visibly breathing and no eye movement, so I'm sure it was freshly dead from something or other.
12f Mane
AG
Mississippi green water snake
12f Mane
AG
Sounds like yours was dead dead, but coachwhips will play dead.
MouthBQ98
AG
Can getting caught in the open during a sudden cold snap kill them? It went from 70's to freezing here earlier this week.
Allen76
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Can getting caught in the open during a sudden cold snap kill them? It went from 70's to freezing here earlier this week.
I don't know, but I know that a snake can get caught unprotected during a cold snap. During deer season, after a sudden cold front hit, my cousin was sitting in his deer blind and could hear some hogs but they would not come in. He decided to get out of his blind and try to get to them. He was crawling on all fours along a game trail when he spotted a small coiled rattler underneath him. His hands had already passed the snake but it was too cold to strike I guess.
NoVAag91
Bird Poo
AG
Allen76 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I don't know, but I know that a snake can get caught unprotected during a cold snap. During deer season, after a sudden cold front hit, my cousin was sitting in his deer blind and could hear some hogs but they would not come in. He decided to get out of his blind and try to get to them. He was crawling on all fours along a game trail when he spotted a small coiled rattler underneath him. His hands had already passed the snake but it was too cold to strike I guess.
I stepped right over a diamondback rattler on opening day of dove season this year. It didn't register in my brain because it was camouflaged really well. Scare the living crap out of me because my 8 and 10 year old sons were about 10 paces behind me.
mandevilleag
I have a catch basin and sump pump in a low area on my property that needs to be cleaned of debris from time to time, which I was doing this weekend. I've unplugged the pump and got my hand down there digging out leaves and debris and grab something long and slimy. It unkinked my colon a bit, but thought it couldn't be a snake. It was too slimy. It must have been a frog. So I kept working and grabbed it again and knew it wasn't a frog. I finally fished this little guy out. Not a snek, but snek-like and pretty darn cool. It's a three-toed amphiuma. I've heard they've got pretty a good bite, but I think this one was too cold.

Badace52
AG
You have really cool wildlife around your house...
CM
12f Mane
AG
mandevilleag said:

I have a catch basin and sump pump in a low area on my property that needs to be cleaned of debris from time to time, which I was doing this weekend. I've unplugged the pump and got my hand down there digging out leaves and debris and grab something long and slimy. It unkinked my colon a bit, but thought it couldn't be a snake. It was too slimy. It must have been a frog. So I kept working and grabbed it again and knew it wasn't a frog. I finally fished this little guy out. Not a snek, but snek-like and pretty darn cool. It's a three-toed amphiuma. I've heard they've got pretty a good bite, but I think this one was too cold.

Outstanding. Thanks for the post.
Ornlu
AG
mandevilleag said:

What? Whoah. No way.

That's not an animal, it's an alien.
mandevilleag
Badace52 said:

You have really cool wildlife around your house...
No doubt. Swamp creatures I guess. I need to be a little more careful with unfamiliar creatures though. I just thought it was similar to a salamander or frog and was relatively harmless. After looking it up, I've seen several sites caution to handle with care because they can give a nasty bite that often gets a bad infection. I handled this one quite a bit trying to get a good photo, but it was too slick to hold in my hand. I assume it was too cold for it to be very active.
agcrock2005
AG
What is it?
Badace52
AG
He says in the first post. It is a three-toed amphiuma. It is a type of amphibian.
CM
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks. Sorry.
CS78
I have a property near Navasota with a whole bunch of sheet metal on the ground at an old homesite. Near water. Lots of leaf litter. Let me know if someone would like to poke around at it. Ill be hauling it all off before too long.
12f Mane
AG
Say when
zooguy96
If I was in Texas, I'd be all over that! Damn!
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
CS78
12f Mane said:

Say when
email me toledo321 at a0l.com when the weather gets how you want it. My schedule is pretty open.

12f Mane
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

Say when
Please tell us you are going to liveblog this on the thread...

BuddysBud
AG
CS78 said:

12f Mane said:

Say when
email me toledo321 at a0l.com when the weather gets how you want it. My schedule is pretty open.

Are you willing to host a group?

A snake hunt with 12FMane would be awesome.
CS78
I don't care who shows up.

txags92
AG
CS78 said:

I don't care who shows up.

Man, that is the smoothest way I have ever seen somebody sign up the Outdoors board to come clean up their property...

Bet you will conveniently have a dumpster sitting nearby..."hey, as y'all are picking things up to look under them...it would be helpful if you could just drop them over here in this rolloff box..."
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Exactly what I was thinking!

"Since there was no snake under that one, let's move it onto this trailer..."

Well played, but fun for all that can go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.