***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

141,906 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
justnobody79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ReloadAg said:

I was just watching FP2 while eating breakfast and the commentators made it sound like no fans were allowed in the stands, like they sent everyone home or something. They didn't elaborate. Does anyone know what happened?
because it ran so late FP2 was going to occur during a shift change for the security staff and they couldn't allow fans in the stands with no security
ReloadAg
AG
Wow what a cluster
PJYoung
AG
jorgerr96

It's that time of the year! Price reductions are happening!

HIGHLY recommend Fuel for Fans! Been ordering from them since 2021, zero issues. They ship for free after you spend $130 and are very quick. Never overspend at the track again

Crispin Torque
List of gaffes/blunders so far:

Holding a night race in the desert in November - no consideration of the temperature impact
Opening Ceremony - The biggest name in the sport publicly shat all over the event
FP1 disaster
FP2 severely delayed and fans locked out with seemingly no plans to make it right

There will probably be some fun stories about fan amenity and hospitality failures too. Talking to some of the event folks in Austin, it sounded like Las Vegas was way behind and would have issues.

In the end, this event will still line the pockets of the select few so status quo will remain. I would love to see more drivers come out and eviscerate F1 for what is so clearly a blind money grab.

nai06
AG
Another view

justnobody79
the air temp isn't that bad and the hype about the coldest F1 race ever is overblown. there have been colder races
PJYoung
AG
justnobody79 said:

the air temp isn't that bad and the hype about the coldest F1 race ever is overblown. there have been colder races
But there's no point in having it at midnight.

It should've started at noon which would be prime time in Europe.

It was a brain dead non researched decision thinking it would be 100 degrees in November in Vegas.
justnobody79
the point of having it at night is because its Vegas and you get to see all of the iconic shots of the lights in the background. the point of having it at 10pm Vegas time is to capture higher ratings in Europe as more people will be awake there at that time
PJYoung
AG

Quote:

The Flamingo, for example, was charging a nightly rate of $899 for race week last year but on Wednesday I booked a room at the historic hotel for $18. Yes, $18.

Quote:

"This race has made our lives a living hell," said one cocktail server at the Flamingo, who said her normally 25-minute commute to work from Summerlin has been doubled and often tripled since preparations for the race began. "They started road work in April. They're telling us they might not be completely done with the teardown until just before New Year's Eve. And then what? Las Vegas is going to be back to normal for a few months before they get ready for the next race? Is this our new reality?"

It is for at least the next decade. Earlier this year, F1 and Clark County entered a 10-year partnership for the Las Vegas Grand Prix to take place in and around the Strip during the week before Thanksgiving.

"I don't think I can go through this every year," said a bartender at The Venetian. "I'm just struggling to get through this week with the street closures and traffic. They're doing everything to get us to come to work during a time when everyone is saying 'don't come to the Strip unless you have a ticket to the race.'"

The Venetian is giving away a combined $250,000 to hourly employees working race week, with one employee winning a new Tesla Model 3 or $25,000 in cash. Many other Las Vegas Strip hotels are offering hourly employees incentives to come to work this week. Caesars is offering $100,000 in prizes and a drawing for a new BMW X3. The Wynn is giving away $70,000 while also enticing hourly employees with enhanced dining menus, chair massages and gift cards.
kyledr04
AG
Great picture of the valve cover. Likely hit it just right and bounced enough for the car to rub the ground. Then the car dug into the asphalt and front edge ripping most of it up.

Matsui
XpressAg09
AG
Sainz getting a penalty is absolute horse shiit. Not a great start to the weekend and pretty concerning for the future of the race if they're looking to keep it around on the schedule.
jorgerr96

I hope Bob uses this event as leverage and goes for a 10 year extension for COTA. Contract is up in 2026
PJYoung
AG
justnobody79 said:

the point of having it at night is because its Vegas and you get to see all of the iconic shots of the lights in the background.
Yeah makes complete sense.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Who's Bob?
La Fours
AG
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8UkXJCY/
Guppy91
AG
View from Elara floor 60.
tk for tu juan
210+ mph on a city street seems fun
Peter Klaven
AG
Hey I was a few floors below you last week! Really surprised that got everything ready down there in the last few days.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Missed FP2 and just turned on FP3…

…what's up with the Mercedes? P18 and P19… Are they actual booty garbage right now, or do they seem to be sandbagging ahead of quali?
Gladiator 96
AG
I don't think anyone has accused Mercedes of sandbagging at all in the last two years.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Sadly, I know, but are they THAT bad this weekend?? Like should I plan on being blackout BEFORE the midnight race starts orrrrr…?
Gladiator 96
AG
Mercedes is doing their soft tyre hot laps now so they should move up
Gladiator 96
AG
Sargeant currently P3 in the session. The track is definitely speeding up though.
tk for tu juan
Nice slide by Norris
Gladiator 96
AG
Double yellows as Albon loses a wheel due to hitting against a barrier
Gladiator 96
AG
Red Flag. Good night all.
nai06
AG
Some of these turns at so tight, I keep thinking they are going to fly right past them. I wonder how many are going to miss a turn this weekend
Azariah
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Red Flag. Good night all.
You know quali is in two hours?
tk for tu juan
The back half of the starting grid will be entertaining with Lewis, Checo, and Lando moving up through the field
jorgerr96

Bobby Epstein the chairman of COTA. Heard he's not that well liked lol. Getting the last contract extension was a miracle, rumor around enthusiasts in town was that F1 was done with Austin until 2021 happened and we all know the story.
vbl
Any of y'all staying up to watch the race? I don't think I can make it. Set the dvr or whatever you call it on dtv. Those first couple of turns and laps are going to be fun. Not a Ferrari fan but go Leclerc.
aggiejumper
AG
Not staying up for it.

Here's an interesting class action lawsuits taking shape over FP1/FP2.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/38928002/las-vegas-gp-hit-lawsuit-practice-delays
SydB92
AG
I'm going to try but after day tripping the ACU game from Dallas, I suspect I will doze off

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.