***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

141,649 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
NewOldAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thankful that Logie Sarge gave us a entertaining multi-lap battle to cover what was otherwise a straightforward race.

I did enjoy the tire chess match. Pretty sure hards could have gone 40 laps on their own.
tk for tu juan
Red Bull's speed advantage with DRS even has Max learning patience on not forcing passes a turn or two before the zone
Azariah
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Red Bull's speed advantage with DRS even has Max learning patience on not forcing passes a turn or two before the zone
Yes, sucks for entertainment value, though. Even Max 'charging' through the field is just him taking his time and calmly passing everyone like it's freeway traffic.
ReloadAg
AG
Yea I agree. Unless something changes, this season may have a hard time holding my interest.
AgGrad99
AG
I can't help but follow some of the other things happening.

I want to see Aston Martin keep this up, and Alonso to stay near the top.
I am curious how the upgrades to teams make a difference...especially Merc and Ferrari.
I'm also curious to see how MClaren fares the rest of the way. They are a mess right now...can they salvage the season, or is this it? I can't see Norris having a lot of patience.
The Checo/Max relationship will be fun to watch...little bit of tension there.

The young guys have my attention too. Piastri seemed to get all the attention, but Sargeant is doing pretty well, as is Devries. It'll be cool to see who makes the most strides.

Gladiator 96
AG
If Aston Martin can keep reliability issues at bay and Stroll can keep performing like he has so far, I would be surprised to see Aston Martin finish out of the Top 3. Ferrari and Mercedes will counter with upgrades.

Max has some significant advantages, but he still has to win races by earning them. The Red Sea will not part for him every race. He and dad need to stop acting so entitled.

McLaren...Woof...

I was happy to see Sargeant fighting the Haases to get into the points. He seemed to fade toward the end though and I think only finished P16.

Alpine looked strong. The French Connection could be a Top 5 constructor this year. Gasly I am sure is happy to be free of Alpha Tauri.
AgGrad99
AG
Yeah, Sargeant looked good, and like he might be able to sneak into the points....but he let it slip at the end. Hated that for him, but I hope he learns and grows throughout the year. Im rooting for him, as the American driver.

Quote:

Max has some significant advantages, but he still has to win races by earning them. The Red Sea will not part for him every race. He and dad need to stop acting so entitled.

I like Max's competitiveness. He is singularly focused on a title...everything else be damned. But he also seems to get along with the other drivers despite that. Max in the car seems pretty different than Max out of the car.

But his dad...oof. Come on. Be happy for Max's teammate. And maybe crack a smile that your son went from 15th to 2nd. He wears me out...reminds me a bit of a Dutch Helicopter dad.
Azariah
AG
ReloadAg said:

Yea I agree. Unless something changes, this season may have a hard time holding my interest.
If you are watching only for the title fight you're watching the wrong sport. 2021 is the only interesting title fight in the last 10 or so years. Further down the grid this season is going to be outstanding. With four teams at the top now it's going to be a mad scramble for points places. Only 2 spots to go around to six teams in every race. The battles for 3-8 and 9-10 are going to be incredible. Even in this race, K-Mag and Tsunoda dueling each other in their ****boxes for 10th place was fantastic.
Azariah
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

If Aston Martin can keep reliability issues at bay and Stroll can keep performing like he has so far, I would be surprised to see Aston Martin finish out of the Top 3. Ferrari and Mercedes will counter with upgrades.
And Aston Martin won't? They've got a best-bits-of-everyone, Frankensteined design that probably has loads of optimization coming. Mercedes is back in the wind tunnel trying to make a black Red Bull that will be way behind on development this year, and Ferrari just looked slow. I saw nothing that says Ferrari and Mercedes will seriously challenge Aston Martin for second place. It will be closer than AM is to RBR, but that's not a high bar.
AgGrad99
AG
I used to dislike Stroll. Felt like he was just there because of his Daddy's money. But I've grown to like him. He's always smiling and seems very likeable...even with that crazy voice. And he seems to work very hard and not take his position for granted.
Gladiator 96
AG
His recent AM years with Seb were not great unfortunately. He seemed pretty good when he was still paired with Checo as Racing Point (pre-AM).
Azariah
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I used to dislike Stroll. Felt like he was just there because of his Daddy's money. But I've grown to like him. He's always smiling and seems very likeable...even with that crazy voice. And he seems to work very hard and not take his position for granted.
I still think he's an average driver who is there because of Daddy's money. OTOH, Daddy's money brought Force India up to the second-best car on the grid, so kudos to that.
Legal Custodian
AG
I gained a lot more respect for him after racing opening weekend with those injuries.
La Fours
AG
Same for me. There was always this vibe of only being there because his dad bought the team. Plus the whole pink Mercedes fiasco from a couple of years ago. But he has shown to be a solid driver who is tough as hell.
Gladiator 96
AG
Gladiator 96
AG
Charlie Conway
La Fours said:

Same for me. There was always this vibe of only being there because his dad bought the team. Plus the whole pink Mercedes fiasco from a couple of years ago. But he has shown to be a solid driver who is tough as hell.
He has a habit of not checking his mirrors and turning into people.
La Fours
AG
That is true. Especially his own teammates.
Azariah
AG
La Fours said:

I never understood how that was a 'fiasco'. They did everything within the rules, just not how people expected the rules to be interpreted. That is the absolute essence of F1.
La Fours
AG
Lol. Because the media made such a big deal about it is why I called it a fiasco. I was also brand new to the sport that season and didn't know what to make of it other than what I could find online.
Gladiator 96
AG
Covers Bahrain. Last segment with AM is hilarious...

Gladiator 96
AG
WC87
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Zak trying to save his own ass.
Gladiator 96
AG
F1 Exhibition opening in Madrid this week. Apparently this is available in the gift shop

SydB92
AG
Saw this yesterday..... They need to add a greeting card speaker with the actual dialogue
kyledr04
AG
Guenther did a good job in the booth on the COTA Nascar race. Was surprised they never have to bleep him.
Gladiator 96
AG
SydB92 said:

Saw this yesterday..... They need to add a greeting card speaker with the actual dialogue
I wonder if they have the full line on the internet. You can see the Sainz "Smooth Operator" one in the background.
jorgerr96
If you've wanted to get in F2 and FIA F3 but didn't because of their awful times for us in the US, this is your best opportunity:

F2
Quali: Friday 1:30 AM
Sprint: Friday 10:20 PM
Feature: Saturday 8:35 PM

F3
Quali: Thursday 10:00 PM
Sprint: Friday 6:45 PM
Feature: Saturday 6:05 PM

For racing, F2 and F3 are miles ahead of F1 due to it being spec series. I'm going to Spain for the GP and I am far more excited for F3 than I am for the F1 race.
La Fours
AG
Are you saying the times are worse than this when the races are in Europe?
jorgerr96
For Bahrain I know I woke up at 2:15 am on Sunday for the F3 Feature race and F2 was at around 4:20 AM. It's just the European Formula Regional and F4 that have their Race 2/Race 4 at around the similar time the F1 races are so I tend to miss the first and third races when those series are on.
SydB92
AG
Ready for Miami….. told my buddy if Alonso podiumed in Bahrain, I would buy an AM shirt.
boogieman
AG
Pretty entertaining Australian FP1 tonight.
Gladiator 96
AG
kyledr04
AG
Saw this video about Redbull DRS design. Interesting stuff.

nai06
AG
Hilarious

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.