***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

142,109 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Max on the radio cracks me up. He goes freaking panic mode during the race and calms down as soon as the final lap is done. They understand him and handle him perfectly. It's one of my favorite things, to hear him freaking out about something minor.

The boos were for Max, from Mexican Checo fans. Keep that crap in Mexico. Hate that they did it in Austin.

I love that everyone seems to like this track. But man, every year I find myself wishing they could improve the surroundings somehow.
jorgerr96
Mexican fans overpower the US fans in here. I swear most of my section in T15 was nothing but Checo supporters from Mexico. And they are very passionate, just hate that most of them are Checo fans rather than F1/motorsport fans, and they bring their soccer energy into this. Once Checo leaves I guarantee you many of them will stop watching
Bunk Moreland
jorgerr96 said:

Mexican fans overpower the US fans in here. I swear most of my section in T15 was nothing but Checo supporters from Mexico. And they are very passionate, just hate that most of them are Checo fans rather than F1/motorsport fans, and they bring their soccer energy into this. Once Checo leaves I guarantee you many of them will stop watching

Well yeah but that's how it goes. Also shows good brand equity from Checo. Which is why the decision by Red Bull will be tough. He brings a legion of fans and merch purchasers.
La Fours
AG
To me, that sounds like a fun section to be in.
XpressAg09
AG
I can't, for the life of me, understand why there are rumors that Ricciardo should replace Perez, let alone Lawson.

Just not buying that he's gonna turn anything around. Lawson seemed to have legs, on short notice.
La Fours
AG
I agree. Danny has driven well for AT standards. But he's not at the level RB needs.
nai06
AG
My section in Turn 9 also had a ton of checo fans and it was wild. The group of about 15 sitting in front of me brought in all kinds of drinks and booze, passing it around to everyone. They had a **** ton of buzz balls. At one point near the end they even popped a bottle of champagne. I didn't mind it at all.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

HELL YEAH!

Good stuff.

Only required the disqualification of the best driver to have ever lived. I kid, great accomplishment.

That plank wear. I was Saturday at turn 9 and noticed anyone that hit the 8-9 transition hard had a lot of porpoising and made heavy sparks at the point in the photo attached (turn 10). Lewis was consistently bottoming there.

I wonder if this spot was the issue with the wear plank.

Photo taken as Queen played 'We Are the Champions'.

The Marksman
AG
So happy for Logan! Hate it for Leclerc though.
jorgerr96
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyu5j9-MPax/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Remember this name because you will see him in F1.

Insane. Mercedes is making him skip F3 and going straight to F2 from FRECA. He only has 2 years in single seaters.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Not doing enough to live up to the Kimi name. Kimi R. had 20 single seater races prior to F1.
tk for tu juan

Short answer: Able to increase ride height and still be faster than the field
Robert C. Christian
AG
Did anyone see COTA's Iron Dome activate this weekend?

https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/comments/17epdb4/who_f_up_the_moment_the_race_almost_got_cancelled/
nai06
AG
I saw it break away really hard but couldn't see why from my vantage point. That's wild
SydB92
AG
Our view for the race. We moved around and watched the other sessions/races from different vantage points. Highlight on Saturday was waiting for the sprint race to start and Damon Hill comes strolling by. He waived snd moved on.
nai06
AG
One of my favorite moments of the weekend was standing in the bridge over turn 10 right after a restart during a Porsche Carrera cup race. The entire field passing right underneath was so loud you could feel it in your chest.

It was my first time at the USGP and I'm already planning for next year
Peter Klaven
AG
I only went to the race yesterday (T9 was a great spot!) and am also already planning for next year.

Anyone have any must-do's or secret tips/tricks?
nai06
AG
-The two days prior were great. The historic class F1s were really fun to watch and F1 Academy proved to have a lot really good racing.

-The infield area near turn 4 and turn 16 had an F1 outlet store. Basically all of last years stuff but half price.

-The fan experience stuff was really fun too. Qatar Airways had a take off simulator, there were racing sims, podiums to take pics on, etc. We did all that in Friday and Saturday when there was hardly any lines.

-Google Chrome sponsored free trips to the top of the observation tower. It's worth doing if you've never done it because you can see the entire track and part of it has a glass floor. Google was also giving out branded cold waters, battery powered fans, and sunscreen.

-i would bring an actual radio next time to tune into the race.
Peter Klaven
AG
This is exactly the stuff I was looking for, thank you!
kyledr04
AG
I think I just saw Kevin Magnussen on the field during the Rangers celebration at Minute Maid. One of Simiens kids had a Maclaren car on tv.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
So question: I had two friends post photos from f1 garages this weekend. One was Friday, the other I don't know when. I understand that paddock passes will get you this access at $30k apiece, but these people don't have those type of finances.

So how else are people getting into the garages? Maybe Friday is much cheaper to get a tour?
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'd imagine through sponsorship through a company. Whether that be their employer or someone they do a lot of business with
jorgerr96
Unsure if this also happened this year, but last year a lot of sponsors invited influencers. COTA invites them for concerts and karting throughout the summer but I don't know if they still give full paddock passes out to them now. I did see local influencers being invited to like the Sports Illustrated club and those kind of VIP sections.

Corporate people get a lot of paddock as well. When I was in the paddock club for one day last year at Silverstone, there were a lot of people that you could tell were just there because of their job (many looked uninterested).
jorgerr96

Yeah Friday is the day. Don't sell many 1-days anymore but it's more accessible and you can get a 30 min walk on the paddock area and run into drivers (I ran into Mark Webber, Yuki, and Damon Hill last year). It's still a good $1200 ticket for a single day but still worth it if you wanna live that experience.

Sunday is the busier day because that's when the big VIPs and celebrities show up, and drivers are focused for the race.

If I had $10K around, I'd definitely buy the Legends pass for Friday, lets you into the paddock all day with the VIP badge.
Trajan88
AG
Been attending the F1 race weekends since 2012... eight of those races, I've sat at Turn 9.

Excellent views of the cars going from left to right on to Turn 11's hairpin then down the high speed straight.

May sit at Turn 12 in '24, but it is hard to beat the relatively quick access to Turns 4 thru 11, the seats at Turn 9 from RV lot N..
Mike Elko
AG
Out of curiosity (and apologies if you've already explained), but I see your F1/Concert posts and am definitely envious. How do you do it? Online student? Constantly travel for work? No pressure, just wondering how you're able to pull off all of these cool events year-round. TIA!
PJYoung
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Out of curiosity (and apologies if you've already explained), but I see your F1/Concert posts and am definitely envious. How do you do it? Online student? Constantly travel for work? No pressure, just wondering how you're able to pull off all of these cool events year-round. TIA!
I thought he said he works for a sponsor?
Legal Custodian
AG
Just saw a rumor that Checo will be announcing his retirement at the Mexican GP
jorgerr96
I think that got debunked unless it started again. iirc it started from Reddit then like a few hours later his manager laughed about it on twitter. that was about 2 weeks ago
jorgerr96
Moved to Austin so basically every band comes here, and if I have to fly I just bring my laptop with me and work on the flight or sometimes even outside the venue. I get 18 days of pto + 10 days of sick time. I joined in 2021 so half that year I basically did nothing so I saved a lot of pto, so every year I end up with a balance (this year I'll have 15-16 days to move around to 2024 lol). I run through my sick time first before my pto and just stay on top of my KPIs so nobody bats an eye. We actually just had lay offs yesterday (I work for a company thats based in China and the previous President didn't like) but I thankfully survived.

Company does sponsor AM but they don't give us anything, probably just to the big region managers, they didn't hook up the BPM that worked out some merch stuff with them. I asked him to get me in to their event last year with Vettel and they still said no lol

jorgerr96
Spanish press says Marta Garcia, who won F1 Academy, is moving up to FRECA next season with Prema. According to them, one of the rewards of winning is a FRECA seat the following year with Prema funded by F1A, Prema, Tatuus, and Pirelli.

This is what W Series missed, a clear path in the ladder. Really like this.
MAROON
AG
Flew to CDMX for a business meeting tomorrow. Plane full of F1 fans. Had drinks at the Hotel Sofitel sky bar. Apparently Checo is staying here per the valet .

jorgerr96
Good FP1 for Ollie Bearman, hopefully Steiner grows some balls next year and gets rid of Magnussen and Hulkenberg for newer drivers
Azariah
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Good FP1 for Ollie Bearman, hopefully Steiner grows some balls next year and gets rid of Magnussen and Hulkenberg for newer drivers

Won't happen any time soon, if ever. It's not balls, it's a business decision. They need drivers who don't cost them in races, and solid to high end midfielders late in their careers are perfect for that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up Checo if he leaves RB and they have a spot.

If you want an American team that's going to shoot for the WCC, you need to be banging the drum for Andretti.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Low risk time to throw it deep here..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.