***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

141,599 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
jorgerr96
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Winter series are on if you are interested in the single seater feeder ladder. Formula Regional Oceania (on motorsport.tv) is on its third weekend and their race times are really good for us in the US, and Formula Regional Middle East (basically the F3 Asia replacement, this one streams on Youtube) is having Round 2 this week and there are FIA F3 and F4 talent there like Dino Beganovic, Gabriele Mini, Rafa Camara and the extremely likely to join F1 in the future Kimi Antonelli.
Mike Elko
AG
Anyone know when additional single-day tickets for COTA go on sale? Per website: "Additional single-day tickets will be released later in 2023."

TIA.
nai06
AG
I really like the new Haas livery. I think its a much sleeker look over last year.

Gladiator 96
AG
Red Bull livery launch. Live from New York with Marty Smith from SEC Network as the emcee.

aggiejumper
AG
In even better news, Ford is back to F1 in 2026 and partnering with Red Bull.

kyledr04
AG
They couldn't stay out after GM backed Andretti
An Ag in CO
AG
Next time they shoot this in the US it'll be pulling an Airstream.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/videos/red-bull-racing-max-verstappens-us-road-trip-video
tk for tu juan
gggmann
AG

jorgerr96
Looks like F1 Academy is racing at COTA as support race
gggmann
AG

Max Power
AG
It's like they required a lot of black in the 2023 liveries, I don't get it. So many cars look similar. I'm a McLaren fan and their livery is hideous IMO. Mercedes going back to black, looks great. Only Alpine hasn't been released yet.

Haas

Red Bull

Williams

Alfa Romeo

Alpha Tauri

McLaren

Aston Martin

Ferrari

Mercedes
Legal Custodian
AG
I like that Ferrari went a little more traditional with their red as opposed to the deeper tint they used last season. At least it looks that way in the pictures.

Other than that, McLaren's sucks. Everyone else's looks fine. Mercedes and Haas look the most different and both pulled it off well.

And Williams at least looks pretty even though they're gonna suck ass again this year.
gggmann
AG
This is by far the best aero analysis so far this year, so if you are going to watch just one, this is the one.

tk for tu juan
My guess, flat black can cover the bare surface in a thinner coat compared to the other colors. Last year some teams were barely painting the cars to save weight (or maybe used bare surfaces to vary the friction coefficient)
Robert C. Christian
AG
tk for tu juan said:

My guess, flat black can cover the bare surface in a thinner coat compared to the other colors. Last year some teams were barely painting the cars to save weight (or maybe used bare surfaces to vary the friction coefficient)

This is the answer with one small change: the black doesn't have to painted, it's just the carbon fiber color. This is to help with weight. Weight saving actually drive the switch for Mercedes back to the black motif.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-black-livery-switch-driven-by-f1-weight-saving/10432364/amp/

Quote:

But a close examination of the car showed that, unlike in 2020 and 2021 when the squad painted its cars black as a show of support for diversity, this time the situation is very different.

Rather than the car being painted black in its entirety, much of it is unpainted and run as raw carbon fibre.

The upper section of the nose and the engine cover feature matte black paint, but almost every lower element of the car, including the wings, are unpainted.
tk for tu juan
That does make more sense, bare resin/gel coat vs adding black paint. Time to explore the rabbit hole of prepping the surface after taking the carbon fiber out of the mold.
gggmann
AG
Gladiator 96
AG
Lance Stroll injured?

tk for tu juan
Was the 80's Olan Mills background pic necessary on the tweet?
Gladiator 96
AG
Gladiator 96
AG
This one will be interesting to watch for sure. Two Frenchmen on a French team with equal status. No tension there.

La Fours
AG
And supposedly they don't like each other, going back to their carting days.
boogieman
AG
Preseason testing only available on F1 TV?
Gladiator 96
AG
I think so. I don't see anything on ESPN for coverage. First session just wrapped up.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
boogieman said:

Preseason testing only available on F1 TV?
Yes. This was the case last year, too.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
FTAco07
AG
157 laps must make for an absolute brutal day for Max! 100 laps more than the actual race distance! That's 528 miles!
La Fours
AG
Nearly double the laps of the next closest guy, DeVries.
Legal Custodian
AG
Had 100 more laps than Alonso and only bested him by .03 seconds. Hopeful it means Red Bull has dropped a touch closer to the rest of the pack. But most likely means nothing
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Every team except Red Bull had drivers split the running. Max did the whole day. That said, he did more running than many teams did.

It's a lot of laps, no doubt.

Alonso's lap was nothing more than a low fuel glory run. Although I think they will fight for 4th/5th in the constructors, I don't think they are actually that close to Red Bull. And believe me, I'd LOVE for Fernando to fight for wins and podiums.

Some observations from watching:
  • The Aston Martin looked unsettled under braking for medium speed corners.
  • Although difficult to tell with engine modes and fuel levels, the Williams looks to be fast on the straights again.
  • Alpine looked slow everywhere.
  • Mercedes was very unsettled in slow speed corners.
  • Teams were playing with their ride height quite a bit.
  • AlphaTauri seems to be very unimpressed with their pace so far.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Hydraulic failure on Russell's car just now.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
tk for tu juan
If Alonso keeps showing up in the top 5 for the rest of testing, some teams (Ferrari) are really going to have pit strategy nightmares trying to get in front of him during a race. He is already hard to pass in a slow car
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.