***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

141,930 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
The Marksman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's actually so cool!
La Fours
AG
That was awesome. Well done man.

You should hide Easter eggs of team radio, and audio clips from DtS. Like a really faint "NO MIKEY, THAT IS SO UNFAIR" and a "It's called motoracing". Gotta have Guenther, "we look like effing wankers". Smooth operator, of course.
Gladiator 96
AG
Thanks! I'm not much of a video editor, but that sounds like it would be a fun project.
La Fours
AG
Oh my bad, I was talking about just addong the audio clips to your song. Not video.
Gladiator 96
AG
It would be fun to do another version with video and audio clips from races. Maybe even an extended song version. The contest was limited to 3 minute songs.
Azariah
AG
XpressAg09 said:

XpressAg09 said:

Do we still think Checo should be fired?
Do we still think Checo should be fired?

Everytime I've asked this in the past, Checo performed. But boy howdy, I'm having a difficult time defending him right now. Still love the guy, but if you ditch him this year, who do you replace him with?

ETA: He's still in 2nd place by the way.
Checo is in second place because his car is so much faster than everyone else's that he can't help but score points, and everyone else's cars are so competitive that no one else can catch him. If everyone you're competitive with is cannibalizing each other, you can coast to victory.

Who to replace him with is a much stickier situation. You'd really like to have seen Daniel in the car longer to figure out if he can get it back. At this point, he's been humbled enough that I think he would readily accept the wingman role. Who knows if he has it, though? If not Danny then I would say Yuki. He's been around long enough to show the mental toughness.

The truth, though, is that Checo probably has to start next year. You just don't have the data on Danny or Liam to justify the risk of putting him in the car, and Yuki is still too wild-card-y. You know 100% that Checo will not crash out Max, and that's all you need right now. I would expect the Danny trial to continue into next season. If Checo is actively hurting the team in June and Danny is a smashing success, Checo gets the mid-season axe while Danny comes over and Lawson gets the AT drive.
Azariah
AG
Poot said:

Checo can put up some stinkers… that's for sure.

Is it true that RB's car is hard to drive and is geared specifically to Max's liking?

Sorry, I'm a relative noob to F1.
We were all new at some point. Glad to have you aboard.

So the answer to the car question isn't so cut-and-dried as RB just making the car to Max's liking. What they're doing is simply improving the car. Week after week they push the technical limits to squeeze just a teensy bit more performance out of it. As they do that, the car becomes more difficult to drive, not just for Checo, but for everyone. Max is a skilled enough driver to stay on top of the car, but Checo is not. The limits of Checo's skill topped out in April and May, and this, among other things, is why he's had such a difficult last 2/3 of the season. The upgrades to the car have taken it beyond what he can handle.

If RB had two Checos in the car, it would still be very driveable by both of them, but that's because they would have had to back out of most of the changes they've made over the season to make it faster.
Azariah
AG
gggmann said:

Rumors of Toyota comeback w/ McLaren: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-forging-closer-ties-with-toyota-as-f1-rumours-swirl/10526659/

Those of us who have been following for a while will remember Toyota's last ill fated attempt at F1 in the 2000's.
This would be neat as long as they didn't back out the year they are about to become competitive.
Gladiator 96
AG
Another act in the F1 parody department

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvGUzW8gxC1/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
XpressAg09
AG
Absolutely agree with your assessment on Checo, but I can't see anyone firing the "second best" driver on the grid. However, the one exception there is that his crashes cost money, so you could use that as an excuse to trade him out.

And switching gears, with regards to
Quote:

You'd really like to have seen Daniel in the car longer to figure out if he can get it back.

I'm shocked Alpha Tauri is dropping Lawson. He's put up points and done it quickly, and Danny Ric just isn't selling me.
Poot
Thanks for the response. Makes total sense!
The Marksman
AG
I think the problem with firing Checo is that Red Bull doesn't really have any obvious replacement for him. Danny Ric simply doesn't have it anymore, in my opinion, and neither Tsunoda or Lawson has looked like they deserve a RB seat. Don't get me wrong, Checo needs to go-he's been embarrassingly underwhelming in easily the fast car on the grid-but I think it might be another season before RB can poach a quality driver from another team to replace him.
Gladiator 96
AG
Lots of indications that they ultimately want Lando, but McLaren would likely do everything that they could to prevent that.
CoachRTM
AG
I'd love to see what Albon could do on a high level team.
Gladiator 96
AG
He and Gasly both took their shot at RB #2 and were unable to perform well enough to stick around.

However, Albon would be solid in any of the top teams now.
Poot
This may be a really dumb question… but why couldn't RB have a "Max" car and a "Checo" car? Push the limits with 1 and have the other be relatively dumbed down? Would that be too much to put on the back of the house?
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
CoachRTM said:

I'd love to see what Albon could do on a high level team.

I don't think Albon is going back to Red Bull. IIRC he's made statements around the Canadian GP about it
CoachRTM
AG
Well I didn't even know that he already drove for RB.

That's what I get for being a relative newbie to F1.
Gladiator 96
AG
We are glad you are here CoachRTM. You bring awesome knowledge and insight to football. Shouldn't take you long to figure out F1.
tailgatetimer10
AG
A rare new fan that hasn't watched dts
CoachRTM
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

A rare new fan that hasn't watched dts

My wife is a motorsports / F1 fan who hasn't watched DTS. I agreed to watch all the F1 events with her because I'm essentially invisible to her on Thursday/ Friday/ Saturday because of football.

I took two online quizzes and got Alpine as my team both times. So now I get to curse out the stewards every weekend for an Ocon penalty that I don't understand.
NewOldAg
AG
Poot said:

This may be a really dumb question… but why couldn't RB have a "Max" car and a "Checo" car? Push the limits with 1 and have the other be relatively dumbed down? Would that be too much to put on the back of the house?

Costs too much. Especially now with the cost cap, there's room in the budget for one car design. The drivers have input, but it's up to the engineers to interpret what the drivers are saying and manufacture car parts. All of that is charged against cost cap.
lunchbox

I don't anticipate F1 allowing them in.
StateofTexas
AG
What they are really saying is that the teams do not want a US entry, because it's hard to imagine a better entry than Andretti + GM out of the US. As an American fan, and for a sport that is owned by an American company and sure loves American money, I have a real problem with that.

Joe Saward and the other gatekeepers have been roundly dismissive of their entry and say it's bad for the sport to have an American team that fails, but I also wonder how much the works/sponsorship floodgates open once Andretti actually has a team. GM and sponsors are not going to go too far out on a limb until an entry is accepted.
lunchbox
They also don't want to split the pot 11 ways.
nai06
AG
I really hope they allow them in. I think it would really make it interesting.
tailgatetimer10
AG
They sure have 0 issues accepting US advertising dollars
Azariah
AG
CoachRTM said:

Well I didn't even know that he already drove for RB.

That's what I get for being a relative newbie to F1.
In 2018 Red Bull had two drivers, young hotshot Max Verstappen and the veteran race winner Danny Ricciardo. At that time, DR was considered one of the top drivers on the grid, probably only behind the World Champions Lewis and Seb. The 18 season had a lot of head-butting between Max and DR, and, in a shocking turn of events, DR left the team for an ungodly amount of money to go to Renault (now Alpine).

This left RB in a lurch as to what to do about their second driver in 19, and they ended up promoting another young hotshot from Toro Rosso (now Alpha Tauri) named Pierre Gasly. He wasn't at all ready and struggled mightily. So much so that he got the axe mid-season (why no one was surprised at the Nick DeVries move) and was replaced with the other TR driver, Alex Albon. Alex was also not ready (he was famously run off the road at one point and complained on the radio, "They race me so hard"), but he at least lasted until the end of 2020.

The end of 2020 saw Albon demoted to the reserve driver role, and RB picked up a savvy veteran named Sergio Perez to fill their extra seat. Sergio lost his seat at Force India > Racing Point (now Aston Martin) when team owner Lawrence Stroll bought and combined car maker Aston Martin with the team and canned Perez to hire Seb Vettel who had just been forced out of Ferrari. Thanks to a massive drive in the Sakhir GP where he took his first race win, RB took notice of Checo and brought him on.

During the 21 season, the RB team, who still loved Albon, even if they didn't think he was fit to drive on the grid at the time, raved about his contributions to the championship. So much so that they lobbied, and eventually succeeded, in landing Albon at Williams for the 22 season, filling George Russell's vacant seat. Him having been just promoted to Mercedes. It was a huge coup at the time because, although technically independent, Williams had been seen for a long time as being wholly in the pocket of Mercedes. Basically, their Alpha Tauri. So much so that Mercedes just stole George Russell for a GP drive in 2020 when Lewis got COVID.

And that's how Albon ended up where he is. If I were him I would absolutely stay right where he is. Williams loves him,it's much lower pressure than the RB seat, and they're building the whole team around him
Republic Of TEXAgS
AG
Going to COTA on the 22nd. Thinking I will just do park and ride and general admission but appreciate any feedback from those who've gone before. Thanks.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to TEXAgS." - Davy Crockett
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Republic Of TEXAgS said:

Going to COTA on the 22nd. Thinking I will just do park and ride and general admission but appreciate any feedback from those who've gone before. Thanks.

Park and ride was an absolute cluster last time I went (2021)- not enough bus drivers for morning drop off resulting in long delays before getting to the race, police not controlling traffic/signals to allow the buses to depart the pickup location post-race. Made for a very long day. I think next time we'll park in a private lot near where the park and ride picks up.
Republic Of TEXAgS
AG
Thank you PHD.
Azariah
AG
I had the same experience in 21, but I've been told it was MUCH better in 22. Road work has been finished. Lots more busses.
Republic Of TEXAgS
AG
Good to know. Thank you.
jorgerr96
If you want to drive, nearby lots sell parking for like $40-60 a day. I always park near a lot on FM 812 and out of there in under 5 minutes.
jorgerr96
that's the weekend they had 100 bus drivers quit on them the morning of lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.