***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

141,644 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
WC87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brad 98 said:

I really think that 2 to 3 races should be a reverse order on the last race run. I do enjoy the races when the top teams have to start at the back of the grid due to engine penalties. They will lose a lot of US fans if it is the same finish basically every week
I know the recent jump in popularity is mostly due to DTS, but F1 just came off 8 years of Merc domination and interest is still sky high. You may lose some very casual fans, yes, but I think most race fans know that almost every race there's only 3-6 drivers that have a prayer of finishing on the podium, much less P1. Maybe I'm wrong.
krosch11
AG
I'd agree. The best thing that DTS did was explain how every place matters, and that different races between teams occur every race.

Before DTS, knowing nothing about F1, I used to watch a race for a few minutes and think "that car is 27 seconds ahead of everyone else , how is this fun? "

Now I know every point matters . Specific teams are racing against other teams.
Mike Elko
AG
kyledr04 said:

If anyone was looking for COTA GA tickets, I just saw they will release some on 3/6. There's also a two day Sat+Sun option now.

Currently in Sydney, so woke up at 2:00 am local time for the presale. Got 2-day tickets. Psyched!
mts6175
AG
Maybe it's just me, but anyone else notice a lot more USA companies as sponsors on the cars? Says a lot regarding interest here
Brad 98
AG
I could see F1 adding one more race in the US. In the Northeast in the near future
BudFox7
What are the specific differences between the RB, Ferrari, and Mercedes car designs that has RB so far ahead?
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Probably the extra catering.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
It's difficult to truly answer this question because we don't see the most important part of the aerodynamics in this regulation set, which is the undertray/floor. With ground effect cars, most of the downforce is generated from the underside of the car.

That said, Red Bull utilize the area just above the floor to maximize downforce, almost similarly to the 'blown diffuser' concept that they maximized back in the Vettel domination days.

Ferrari's concept seems to maximize lowering the center of weight in the car. There is almost a bathtub-like look when you observe the car from overhead where the side pods push down and theoretically the air, at speed, increases that effect.

Mercedes went with what has been called a zero sidepod design. They claim that they can't run the car low enough to maximize the downforce potential with this design because porpoising takes over. Where Mercedes messed up, was not seeing porpoising in their wind tunnel testing prior to designing the W13 (or last year's car).

Toto's complaining about the ride height issue last year and forcing a new rule to raise the ride height may have actually hurt them even more, ultimately because they need to run the car low to maximize its potential. Because of the rule, I think we are going to see Mercedes abandon the zero sidepod concept pretty shortly.

What's interesting is, the Aston Martin is effectively a Frankenstein of all three concepts. Mercedes engine, gearbox, and suspension, which maximizes the strengths of that car which is traction. (Also this is a characteristic that Fernando really likes in his cars, dating back to the Renault third-spring days). The Aston also has the Ferrari downsloping sidepods from above, and the aggressive downslope on the floor like Red Bull.

htxag09
AG
Good and informative post. Thanks.

My dumb self just looks at it as if it were something so obvious that I knew what it was, it would no longer be a difference….
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Because of rule, I think we are going to see Mercedes abandon the zero sidepod concept pretty shortly.
Agreed. Martin Brundle has been saying the same thing as well.
SydB92
AG
If you listened to the SkySports Ted and Toto interview post race, it sounded like Merc have a 3/10thsec upgrade on schedule for Imola with the current sidepod concept. That would barely half the pace gap to Checo at Bahrain without any RB upgrades throughout the year and Max was 2/10ths faster than Checo.

I listened to some of the radio messages at RB after the race. They were telling Max to target 1:37 lap times when he was cruising at 1:36.5. His response was "I'm happy going slower" (but his tone was I don't really want to). His engineer came back with "There is no race at this point Max"

Serious question, can a team even afford to create a B spec car with the cost cap and keep upgrades coming?
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
SydB92 said:

Serious question, can a team even afford to create a B spec car with the cost cap and keep upgrades coming?
No, and I wouldn't blame Mercedes for using the rest of the season to learn and test new concepts while using their development time primarily on their 2024 car. Truthfully, and this is just my opinion, a championship battle this year will depend on Ferrari getting its crap together, Aston aggressively developing the car up to Red Bull, or Checo finding his inner Rosberg while Max has some DNFs.

I do think Alonso made a few mistakes on his Q3 lap, but it's not promising that the three closest challengers (Checo, Leclerc, Alonso) are three tenths back on pure pace.
AgGrad99
AG
Interesting.

You sense that attitude already, with Russell conceding the rest of the season to RB after one race.

But you know, there have been a lot of years recently, where people felt that was about Merc.

Either way, it'll be interesting to follow. I'm curious what strides are made throughout the year.
AgGrad99
AG
Im really rooting for Ferrari to make things interesting.

They were behind, but running well until they had power issues. And last year, they started out so strong. I have to think they will make things interesting at some point.
SydB92
AG
I like redbull but this isn't Aggie sports where I can enjoy weekly blowouts.

I guess at this point Merc brings the planned upgrades to hang with Ferrari and Aston. Hopefully they know which design they want to copy.

Listening to podcasts. McLaren realized towards the end of last year that the development path for their 2023 concept was not good enough. They scrapped development and started working on the alternative. I think they said Baku was target.
AgGrad99
AG
I hear you.

I do still like to follow the sport, and the other story lines outside of the championship. But it's definitely more intriguing and exciting, the later the championship is determined.

Quote:

Listening to podcasts. McLaren realized towards the end of last year that the development path for their 2023 concept was not good enough. They scrapped development and started working on the alternative. I think they said Baku was target.
Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Their start was a disaster. But if a crappy start leads to a much better car, it makes sense.

What podcasts are you listening to?
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
XpressAg09
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Im really rooting for Ferrari to make things interesting.

Didn't they switch out a power component or some such before the race and cancel LeClerc's last qualifying lap for a similar issue?

If I read it right, they used one of the components and are limited to two for the whole season.

I'm a Saint fan, but Ferrari didn't give me a huge boost of confidence seeing those strategic changes followed shortly thereafter by LEC's retiring from the race.
SydB92
AG
Mainly
  • The-Race F1 Podcast (they have a spinoff Tech show)
  • P1 with Matt and Tommy (former WTF1 leads)
  • Missed Apex
  • SkySports F1 podcast (new this season)
  • Unlapped

Occasionally...
  • Shift+F1 but they often get details wrong
  • Engine Braking (former RB engineers)

Both Unlapped and The-Race have reporters at everyone race and provide lots of good info (to me at least)
AgGrad99
AG
Thanks.
Azariah
AG
I listen to The Race as well. It's pretty solid. I'm not a huge fan of the old and dusty guy, though, so I don't dig on the technical one.

I listen to both official F1 podcasts as well. They have one that is a long-form interview each week and another that is a race recap show.

I also really like the Late Braking podcast. It's much more of an irreverent take on current events in the sport. Lots of fun to listen to.

I need to pick up Engine Braking. I've heard good things about that.
TDub
AG
PitStop podcast is another great one!
SydB92
AG
thx. I''ll check it out.....
Gladiator 96
AG
My wife and I enjoy Beyond the Grid.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

SydB92
AG
I agree with The Race. I think it's Gary Andersen…. While I have an engineering degree, you have to have a a good understanding of aerodynamics to fully understand when he speaks.
SydB92
AG
Here is a YouTube video on McLaren's first race disaster from The-Race. It talks about when they realized their development for 2023 was doomed

Gladiator 96
AG
La Fours
AG
That's some next level narcissism.
AgGrad99
AG
For real
WC87
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

And hey Mercedes fans that stick with us, how about after the next race we all go out for ice cream and have a sleepover?? Yay!

What are they, ****ing 10 years old? Sack up and fix your **** Mercedes and quit grandstanding like it's your right to be at the front. You got it horribly wrong. Deal with it like adults.
La Fours
AG
I wonder how much longer Merc stays with their "no blame" culture?
La Fours
AG
They are either doubling down on it, or this is the equivalent of the dreaded "vote of confidence".
Jsimonds58
AG
In the words of Horner, "Change your ****ing car!!"
La Fours
AG
I bet Toto petitions the FIA to make side pods illegal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.