***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

141,975 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
Azariah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
XpressAg09 said:

Azariah said:

Either way, your opinion is not to be taken seriously.

It's not silly to want first place to be contested. And right now it isn't, and it's not even close.

One of the reasons F1 is seeing a spike in interest (in America, a new market) lately is because of the last-lap-of-the-last-race-of-the-season drama that got Max his first championship. Everything came down to Abu Dhabi.

This season's drama is over who replaces Checo, why Ferrari can't do a strategy, and who replaces the folks leaving after this season.
There's a difference between wanting the championships to be contested and saying that dominance is bad for the sport. F1 has seen two total different teams win either championship for 14 seasons in a row, and it's never been this popular.
XpressAg09
AG
Azariah said:

There's a difference between wanting the championships to be contested and saying that dominance is bad for the sport. F1 has seen two total different teams win either championship for 14 seasons in a row, and it's never been this popular.

I hear you. But you know what's better than two teams winning for 14 years straight? THREE teams vying for the championship. That's why everyone above me has been snoozing at Max and enjoying the Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren tussle.

And you know who's garnering more talk than Max lately? Checo.

I get that Max is great, and no one is denying that. But it's not fun to watch when he takes first in the first lap, and immediately gets outside of DRS range.
jorgerr96
If you are getting bored with the racing and consider yourself a motorsport fan rather than F1 fan, then let me introduce you to feeder series in the F1 ladder, because they will make you appreciate this more.

While I love the sport F1 is definitely not the only thing I follow, so even when it's a bore there are 2-3 other races going on at the same time. I've mentioned I travel to EU once a year for a race, and believe me it's not for F1, I go for F2 and FIA F3. I am going to Miami strictly because of F1 Academy (it's an F4 level), I didn't go the past 2 years and I wouldn't go next year if it was just F1 in there.

F1 is fun yes but for racing the spec series are better, that's why I am always more excited to watch F2, FIA F3 on an F1 weekend (especially this year with both grids being very very good). Winter break? There is Formula Regional in Asia and Oceania starting in January. For F4 I really just follow Italian, Spanish, UAE, and GB4 and they all start around the same time in the spring past the F1 initial round.

Now, when all these people end up driving FP1s, getting rookie test drivers, or even getting F1 seat, you follow them through their financial struggles of not being able to get a top seat in F3, to getting signed by a driver academy and now landing a seat at Prema or ART, it just feels good. All these young drivers you see in F1 right now, like Leclerc, Russell, Norris, Piastri? I've been following them since they were 14-15, that's another thing that makes me interested in the sport, it's like seeing a small band go from 400 cap venues to 6k+. Same thing with people like Ollie Berman and Kimi Antonelli, I've followed Kimi since he was 13 and can't wait for him to show up in F1 within the next 3 years.

TLDR If F1 is truly all you watch, you are missing out big time, no need to try GT/Endurance/Indy, the European single seat scene in the F1 Ladder is enough and worth your time.
nai06
AG
Thanks to jorgerr96 posts on the F1 ladder series, I specifically wanted to watch F1 Academy when I went to the U.S. Grand Prix. I was not disappointed at all. It was really good racing and very competitive from the qualifying to the races. I'm just now starting to dip my toes into the other series but I'll echo their comments in that it's very entertaining and still good racing action even if it isn't F1

jorgerr96

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-impressed-by-bearman-after-mexico-gp-fp1-rookie-run/10538894/

Gladiator 96
AG
Not great news, but I don't think this will actually happen.

SydB92
AG
If they race when fuel depots are being hit in SA……

Gladiator 96
AG
That was my thought as well. I wonder what discussions or any potential changes came out from the FIA for that scenario. I know the drivers were not happy and were very concerned for their own personal safety.
The Marksman
AG
I sure would be concerned for my own safety if I was in the Middle East right now
planoaggie123
AG
I know this is a massive assumption but I would assume any F1 race would be relatively safe and an attack on that would basically bring the entire world down on those who attack....so not a smart move...

However, I would not want to personally travel there and it seems like there is always a bit of a risk at any of the ME locations any given year.

We have some business prospects in the region and everything related has gone cold as of late and pretty sure with all the recent issues, that "project" is likely over before it started....
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I doubt the UAE gets attacked, but Hamas leadership is a stone's throw away in Qatar, Iran is a short boat ride away and the Yemen rockets/missiles are in easy striking distance.
mts6175
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I know this is a massive assumption but I would assume any F1 race would be relatively safe and an attack on that would basically bring the entire world down on those who attack....so not a smart move...

However, I would not want to personally travel there and it seems like there is always a bit of a risk at any of the ME locations any given year.

We have some business prospects in the region and everything related has gone cold as of late and pretty sure with all the recent issues, that "project" is likely over before it started....

Not going to get into politics on here, but if the attack that was already done didn't bring the whole world down on them, doubt on on a F1 race would too.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
To that point, many haven't seen the horrific images of the Oct. 7 attacks, and to the above poster's point, putting more atrocities in the living rooms of a massive F1 audience is likely to work against Hamas and its axis of evil.

With how much money is coming into the sport from certain countries, I'd be SHOCKED if Abu Dhabi got nixed. Money also seems to be the reason why drivers or prominent team personnel appear reluctant to comment on Hamas' atrocities as well.
Azariah
AG
XpressAg09 said:

Azariah said:

I hear you. But you know what's better than two teams winning for 14 years straight? THREE teams vying for the championship. That's why everyone above me has been snoozing at Max and enjoying the Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren tussle.

And you know who's garnering more talk than Max lately? Checo.

I get that Max is great, and no one is denying that. But it's not fun to watch when he takes first in the first lap, and immediately gets outside of DRS range.
If you're watching F1 only for who wins, you're watching the wrong sport. F1 is essentially three contests being played on the same field at the same time.

1. Max vs the field is essentially watching the Harlem Globetrotters dismantle the Washington Generals. You don't watch that for the competition level. You watch that to see what ridiculousness Curly Neal is going to pull out of his bag of tricks.

2. Mercedes, Ferrari, Checo, McLaren, Aston Martin are all 6-year-olds chasing a soccer ball around a field on a Saturday morning. Who is going to get the ball? Who is going to fall on their face and cry until someone hands them a juice box? This is competition at its finest.

3. Haas v Alpha Tauri v Alfa Romeo v Williams is a mud wrestling bonanza. It's dirty, icky, and you feel bad watching these sexy bodies flail around in the dirt, but it's still fun to see who comes out on top.

Alpine is a ghost ship. No one is aboard steering the thing, and it's spooky when they drift into view.

If any one of those things doesn't entertain you, all of the others are still there to fill up your Sunday afternoon.
tailgatetimer10
AG
It's wild how everyone stays focused on #1. This happens in every sport. I recall a headline going into the final game of the world series for the Diamondbacks that said "how can they save their season"....
jorgerr96

You guys saw the rumor thing from Sunday? Albert Fabrega tweeted about it and had everyone wondering for weeks, even drivers and circuit profiles were getting on it. Alonso said on the press conference that he was tired of it and wanted consequences to those people sharing rumors.

Today Crofty mentioned that the rumors around the paddock were about Checo Perez. He said nothing more, but whatever was being shared around seems to be indeed about him and Red Bull.
Robert C. Christian
AG
jorgerr96 said:

You guys saw the rumor thing from Sunday? Albert Fabrega tweeted about it and had everyone wondering for weeks, even drivers and circuit profiles were getting on it. Alonso said on the press conference that he was tired of it and wanted consequences to those people sharing rumors.

Today Crofty mentioned that the rumors around the paddock were about Checo Perez. He said nothing more, but whatever was being shared around seems to be indeed about him and Red Bull.

I've seen so many tweets about "I've just heard the rumor" that it feels like I'm on TexAgs hearing "I just got the PM, can't believe it!"
La Fours
AG
That's exactly what I thought as well.
Gladiator 96
AG
Looks like Q3 is about to say "To hell with this" with that monster deluge coming in.
Gladiator 96
AG
Wow! Stroll with a P3 in Quali that won't be challenged due the incoming monsoon.
boogieman
AG
Those clouds were Dark!
SydB92
AG
That storm was wicked and nasty

The Marksman
AG
Oh wow that's crazy
FTAco07
AG
This sprint shootout broadcast is having technical difficulties and they don't have any sound behind the commentators. It's a really bizarre watch
Azariah
AG
I have been told repeatedly how much Sprint races suck. I have no personal opinion, but that was crazy exciting.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
It was a good race but the tire degradation at the end made it incredibly hard to pass.
SydB92
AG
I'm sure it doesn't fit in their carbon zero mantra but would be great to have 2 sets of "extreme softs" that would last about 2/3rds a sprint so forced to stop. See who can pull off over/under cuts.
Gladiator 96
AG
Anybody know what happened to Merc today? Kinda hard to believe that Hamilton got passed by Tsunoda and then lost an additional 6 seconds to him.
Republic Of TEXAgS
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Anybody know what happened to Merc today? Kinda hard to believe that Hamilton got passed by Tsunoda and then lost an additional 6 seconds to him.

Both drivers said tires overheated. George thinks they'll be competitive if temps are 3-4 degrees cooler tomorrow.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to TEXAgS." - Davy Crockett
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CzOsuWpvPGn
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I was surprised the stewards seemed to fault Alonso equally for the incident
Azariah
AG
Republic Of TEXAgS said:

Gladiator 96 said:

Both drivers said tires overheated. George thinks they'll be competitive if temps are 3-4 degrees cooler tomorrow.

It's crazy how fine the margins in this sport are.
Azariah
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

They probably shouldn't have been that close, but AT seems to have taken a huge step forward.
Azariah
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

I was surprised the stewards seemed to fault Alonso equally for the incident

I didn't see anything about it. Was there a penalty?
Gladiator 96
AG
Chalk up another painful Brundle grid walk interview with Machine Gun Kelly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.