***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

141,855 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
cap-n-jack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a crappy race for Haas. I wonder how much longer Gene is going to put up with this.
Brad 98
AG
Gene needs to sell or combine with Andretti racing. I love Formula 1 but man this season is not any fun.
hoosier-daddy
Best part of F1 is the pregame and Ted. Actual race is backgrounds noise. Hell, quali is more entertaining than the race.
AgGrad99
AG
It's not any fun, with regards to who's going to win...but I'm really enjoying it.

It's interesting to see which Ferrari team shows up...loving Alonso's new fire, it's cool to follow Mercedes as they slowly improve week after week. I'm also interested in MClaren and how they fair. And I'm always intrigued by Perez...because he can finish in first or out of the points.

I find myself just loving everything Alonso does and says this year. He seems to be relishing every race.
AgGrad99
AG
I look forward to the Martin Brundle every single week. When he's not there, I'm always disappointed.

AgGrad99
AG
cap-n-jack said:

What a crappy race for Haas. I wonder how much longer Gene is going to put up with this.

It's frustrating because they seem to put themselves in good positions, but can never capitalize
nai06
AG
Did anyone catch the broadcast with Danny Ric and Will Arnett? I'm wondering if I should have switched over.
Gladiator 96
AG
Gladiator 96
AG
Charlie Conway
nai06 said:

Did anyone catch the broadcast with Danny Ric and Will Arnett? I'm wondering if I should have switched over.
Im watvhing the replay of it now, and umm... I dont like it....
Azariah
AG
I tried to start the race with them. They started late. Instead of wondering how much long ESPN2 was going to show UFC, I went back to F1TV. After a bit, I flipped back to take it in. I got about ten seconds into it before having to flip back. The delay from not having Arnett at the race made it cringy as they stepped on each other talking, and it also seemed like they were meeting for the first time while on the air. It was truly awful. After the race ended I flipped it back over and it didn't feel any better. This wasn't anything close to the Manningcast.

If they want to do this right, they need to replace Arnett with Dax Shepherd, who is already friends with DR, and they need to be in the same room together, preferably trackside.
Azariah
AG
The way to enjoy F1 racing this season is to spend a few minutes admiring someone seemingly at the pinnacle of dominance, and then completely ignore them to watch the other 19 cards. If you can do that this is an amazing season.
Azariah
AG
Checo needs to be replaced midseason. Gasly wasn't good enough. Albon wasn't good enough. Now Checo's psyche has been completely destroyed by trying to go toe to toe with Max. A midseason swap with Williams to put Albon back in the second seat would be awesome.
PJYoung
AG
What? doesn't he have a win this season?
mts6175
AG
Azariah said:

Checo needs to be replaced midseason. Gasly wasn't good enough. Albon wasn't good enough. Now Checo's psyche has been completely destroyed by trying to go toe to toe with Max. A midseason swap with Williams to put Albon back in the second seat would be awesome.

He's 2nd in points total…..
Matsui
AG
Strong take!
Goldie Wilson
Azariah said:

Is this serious? What results do you think RB wants for their second driver that Checo isn't delivering? He's second in points and the RB team has nearly twice as many points as the nearest competitor. He's been competitive for the most part but hasn't gotten in the way of Max, which (I think) is what RB is looking for out of the second driver.
Gladiator 96
AG
Azariah said:

Horner was probably more willing to do this a few years ago when Red Bull was struggling to keep up with a dominant Mercedes team of Hamilton / Bottas. The tables have turned now and Red Bull is in a very dominant position. Horner can be a lot more patient with Checo and his development, especially now when Red Bull is lapping the field in constructors points.
ac04
PJYoung
AG
Bunk Moreland
It's definitely a problem now and for the future. I was talking with my brothers this weekend and we agreed that it's so much better having F1 on in the early morning hours because I can watch it in bed or during breakfast and then the rest of the day is open for other things or sports.

Watching this weekend's clunker at 1pm sucked and made me feel more disdain than I ever do for F1.

I'm a big motorsports fan and always loved the classic F1 races but NASCAR got me into racing and I will always enjoy a standard NASCAR race more than a standard F1 race until something changes in how they can race each other.

I don't have the answer obviously and I respect the history of the sport, but the root problems are going to be problems for the US crowds.
Brad 98
AG
The old style sprint races were the way to go set the grid for Sunday with a Friday qualifying. I think more of those would mix up the grid, and shine the spotlight on other drivers. I honestly hope we get 2-3 drivers for next season
ReloadAg
AG
I love F1 and have been watching since I was a kid but this year I've found myself watching more Indycar than F1 since it's a lot more competitive (although Alex Palou has had a nice run of winning races lately).
htxag09
AG
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want more competition. I find myself watching the start then half paying attention while doing other things for the rest of the race.

But is this really any different than Lewis's dominant run?
Bunk Moreland
htxag09 said:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want more competition. I find myself watching the start then half paying attention while doing other things for the rest of the race.

But is this really any different than Lewis's dominant run?

I'd have to go back and think about it but I felt like he came up on the end of Schumacher, then there was the internal team drama and Nico being as good as him and winning his title to prove himself and then the back end of Lewis having Max's come up.

Thrown in Seb and Alonso also during the years and others I'm forgetting and it just didn't feel this boring.
NewOldAg
AG
Albon's defense was extraordinary as was Lando's overtaking attempts. De Vries gave us a gasp too!

Is excitement limited to who is in first?
Bunk Moreland
NewOldAg said:

Albon's defense was extraordinary as was Lando's overtaking attempts. De Vries gave us a gasp too!

Is excitement limited to who is in first?

No, but none of that is riveting when comparing it to a NASCAR race or even an INDY race. The point of the article is the typical American racing fan.
Azariah
AG
Replying to everyone above:

Yes, Checo has a win this season. So what? That was early in the year when he was convinced he could win the championship. It turned out that his psyche was shattered by that crash in Monaco, and he's done. Early season Checo is not what we have now. What we have now is the same guy who hit a slump last year mid-season, except now he's in a more dominant car and even worse.

Checo is 50% on making Q3 this season. In a car that is multiple-tenths faster than everyone.
Checo is unable to catch cars that Max is running away from.

Checo is done, and Max has to stay perfect for Red Bull to win this season comfortably.

Mercedes said it best when they said everything is a fight for P2. Even the other teams don't respect Checo as an opponent.

Max needs a teammate who knows he cannot go against Max. Someone who understands that they're very good, but not Max Verstappen. I would bring back Albon now that he's had time to grow, or DR now that he's been humbled.
Azariah
AG
Drivers who need to lose their seat this season:

Magnusson
DeVries
Stroll
Checo
Bottas
XpressAg09
AG
Before we say Checo deserves to be cut, can we wait til he drops out of second place? Dude has two wins and two runners-up this season.
PJYoung
AG
It's not a serious opinion. Dumb.
jorgerr96
I don't think Checo needs to be cut but I don't see him getting his contract renewed next year. Then again, that brings too many questions: if they were to replace him would they really go for Tsunoda? Will they get a non-academy driver like they did with Checo again? One thing I liked about RBR was that they always moved their Academy drivers to those F1 seats, and surely people like Liam Lawson, Dennis Hauger, or Ayumu Iwasa would do well in Alpha Tauri.
mts6175
AG
Personally I'd like to see RBR sign Ocon.
AgGrad99
AG
Where do we think Danny Ric goes?
jorgerr96
I forgot that guy was still around lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.