***** Formula 1 - 2023 Season *****

142,191 Views | 1755 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tk for tu juan
Gladiator 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mts6175 said:

Personally I'd like to see RBR sign Ocon.
Max and Ocon clashed pretty heavily a few years ago. Maybe they both have matured, but that dynamic could easily return if they were teammates.
XpressAg09
AG
Ocon has never appeared to be a very good teammate, regardless of who he's with, and having him and Max on the same teams sounds like two personalities that would never work well together. Me personally, I think Alpine has a good schtick being a French team with two French drivers, but Ocon appears to be getting better and, to your point, may start looking elsewhere.
TDub
AG
Lando to RB is the only correct answer
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
I think Lando moves to Merc after Lewis retires. I could see Leclerc making the jump to RBR, as crazy as that sounds. Personally think Tsunoda is making a case for the seat, though.
TDub
AG
I don't see Leclerc going to RB. He either stays at Ferrari or goes to Merc in my opinion. RB has been in talks with Lando in the past. Him and Max are also really close
Charlie Conway
XpressAg09 said:

Ocon has never appeared to be a very good teammate, regardless of who he's with, and having him and Max on the same teams sounds like two personalities that would never work well together. Me personally, I think Alpine has a good schtick being a French team with two French drivers, but Ocon appears to be getting better and, to your point, may start looking elsewhere.
Toto is Ocon's manager, he will likely go to mercedes, certainly over red bull
SydB92
AG
Are any other drivers represented by high ranking personnel from other teams/rivals? I had heard about Ocon. If he entertains a moved to Merc, he might want to at least partially consult with neutral party.
XpressAg09
AG
numetalbizkitaggie said:

Personally think Tsunoda is making a case for the seat, though.
Every time I think Yuki is on the up and up, he pulls one of these moves:

Still though, he seems to be progressing.
EDIT: Go to 4:44 of the attached video where Yuki locks up as he's passing Magnusson, then pulls them both into the run off and has to wait to reverse out.
TDub
AG
XpressAg09 said:

numetalbizkitaggie said:

Personally think Tsunoda is making a case for the seat, though.
Every time I think Yuki is on the up and up, he pulls one of these moves:

Still though, he seems to be progressing.
EDIT: Go to 4:44 of the attached video where Yuki locks up as he's passing Magnusson, then pulls them both into the run off and has to wait to reverse out.

Well that wasn't Yuki but okay
StateofTexas
AG
If Checo keeps flaming out in Q2 over the next few races, Ricciardo may go in that seat after summer break.
XpressAg09
AG
I was lied to.
My bad, and I take it all back.
Bexar Ag
No where, hes past his prime. He should've never left RB in the first place.
jorgerr96
Agreed, Ricciardo burned himself by stepping down to Renault and McLaren after being at Red Bull. Mercedes or Ferrari wouldn't take him, they both got junior drivers coming up in the next few years.
Gladiator 96
AG
Maybe Red Bull is kicking the "tyres" on Danny Ric

Azariah
AG
jorgerr96 said:

I don't think Checo needs to be cut but I don't see him getting his contract renewed next year. Then again, that brings too many questions: if they were to replace him would they really go for Tsunoda? Will they get a non-academy driver like they did with Checo again? One thing I liked about RBR was that they always moved their Academy drivers to those F1 seats, and surely people like Liam Lawson, Dennis Hauger, or Ayumu Iwasa would do well in Alpha Tauri.
Checo is already under contract for next season.He signed a two-year deal before Monaco 2022.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Contracts don't really mean a whole lot in racing, if we are being totally honest. Right now, it's just three bad races. Checo is still P2 in the championship. I will start to worry for his career if it becomes five bad races. He's generally been pretty decent at tracks with long straights that run into low speed corners. Could easily see him picking up P2 this weekend.

Honestly, this talk is partially fueled by people wishing DR back on the grid, when DR had the opportunity to be on the grid with HAAS and chose to be a PR court jester instead. I find it and the speculation disrespectful to Checo. People were begging Red Bull to sign him in 2020.
Azariah
AG
numetalbizkitaggie said:

Contracts don't really mean a whole lot in racing, if we are being totally honest. Right now, it's just three bad races. Checo is still P2 in the championship. I will start to worry for his career if it becomes five bad races. He's generally been pretty decent at tracks with long straights that run into low speed corners. Could easily see him picking up P2 this weekend.

Honestly, this talk is partially fueled by people wishing DR back on the grid, when DR had the opportunity to be on the grid with HAAS and chose to be a PR court jester instead. I find it and the speculation disrespectful to Checo. People were begging Red Bull to sign him in 2020.
It's not 3 bad races, though. It's 3 bad races this season. This is two years in a row where it's obvious that the problem isn't his skill, it's his mentality. He genuinely seems to think he can beat Max straight up, which is fine, confidence is good. It's when Max demonstrates that he simply isn't good enough when Checo's results tank for an extended period of time. I was incorrect in saying it started this season when he went into the wall at Monaco. It actually started in Miami when Max caught and passed him like he was standing still.

And my thinking that Checo needs to go has nothing to do with DR. I love DR as a personality and would love to see him succeed somewhere again, but I think he's lost the shot at the RB seat. His skills just aren't there any more.

RB needs a Bottas for Max. Checo is trying to be Max and nosediving for extended periods when it hits him that he's still not good enough. I think Albon would be great to bring back if he'd be willing. Either him or Hulk.
La Fours
AG
NSFW

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8J3wBGg/
SydB92
AG
It's race week… we can finally get back to talking about cars on track…….. not:

ReloadAg
AG
Van Wilder buying an F1 team
La Fours
AG
To go along with his low level English soccer team.
nai06
AG
La Fours said:

He's had some pretty good success with that team so maybe this is a good sign that he will actually take it seriously?
La Fours
AG
Yeah. But alpine has a manufacturer backing. I wish he would have invested in Haas.
jorgerr96
yes i meant i dont think he is getting it renewed next year, as in come 2024 he wont get a renewal
jorgerr96
Feels like he's also getting a lot of hate because he was the one guy that could have given us a good title fight this year but now it's obvious Max is way above him whereas in April the title gap was less than 10 pints
Azariah
AG
La Fours said:

Low level, so far!
Azariah
AG
La Fours said:

Yeah. But alpine has a manufacturer backing. I wish he would have invested in Haas.
Haas is not an American team.
Azariah
AG
jorgerr96 said:

yes i meant i dont think he is getting it renewed next year, as in come 2024 he wont get a renewal
There's no renewal. He's already under contract for 2024. The only way he doesn't get the drive in 2024 is if they buy him out DR/McLaren-style.
Azariah
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Feels like he's also getting a lot of hate because he was the one guy that could have given us a good title fight this year but now it's obvious Max is way above him whereas in April the title gap was less than 10 pints
Nope, swing and a miss, at least from me. I have no problem with a dominant Max. He's my favorite driver (stemming from when I came into the sport), and I can perfectly enjoy the fight for second place in both WCs. He's getting a lot of hate from me because he's actively hurting RB in the WCC.
La Fours
AG
What do you mean Haas isn't an American team?
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

"Home," however, is a tricky concept in F1. Although it races under the American flag and is owned by an American, Gene Haas, the team's primary F1 base is in the UK. Its chassis is built in Italy. So are its engine, suspension, and brakes. Team boss Guenther Steiner is Italian. Drivers Nico Hlkenberg and Kevin Magnussen are German and Danish, respectively.

So how American really is F1's American team? And is the idea of an all-American effort, given F1's European roots, really feasible?

https://theathletic.com/4493180/2023/05/06/haas-is-home-in-miami-but-just-how-american-is-f1s-only-american-team/

Quote:

The addition of Haas to the grid in 2016 predated F1's American boom, fueled by Netflix's "Drive to Survive" and the modernization of the series by Liberty Media, which acquired the commercial rights to the sport in 2017. But as more and more US fans flock to F1, more opportunities open up for Haas as the only American team.

That sprouted a conscious effort to lean into its US identity, particularly last season when Haas started exploring new title sponsors. After splitting with Russian state-linked company Uralkali in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine, Haas had no shortage of American interest.

It landed sponsorships from Chipotle and clothing brand TravisMathew and found its new title sponsor in MoneyGram, a worldwide money transfer company based in Dallas. Steiner found similarities in their approaches like Haas, the sponsors are proudly American with a very global outlook. "It's still an American company," he said. "But they want to grow outside of the States."

MoneyGram also liked the characteristics it saw in Haas, which chief marketing officer Greg Hall told The Athletic were "so innately American": a fellow startup operation trying to make a big impact with an underdog spirit. "That's the American dream, right?"
Quote:

Haas might not remain the only American team on the grid, however.

After opening an application process in February, the FIA is evaluating new teams for as early as 2025. The most vocal potential entrant has been Andretti Global, led by Michael Andretti, which has already signed an agreement to work with General Motors' Cadillac brand on the project. The reaction from the current grid has been lukewarm at best due to concerns about the impact it could have on prize money, splitting the revenue between 11 teams instead of 10.

Andretti has already promised the team will have an American driver if it gets on the grid, saying during the GM announcement in January that it would be an "all-American effort." The team would chiefly operate out of a facility currently being built in Fishers, Indiana, with a satellite base in Europe.

Steiner thought running a team entirely out of the United States would be "pretty difficult" for several reasons: "You would need to build a completely new wind tunnel. You would need to get the people there. And shipping everything, you would be the only one shipping out of America. Everything is doable, but at what price?"
La Fours
AG
I think that's really picking at nits. Re: Haas. But I'm content with saying it is an American owned team. It wouldn't make sense financially or logistically for an F1 team to be based here. I just assumed it was accepted that Haas an American team because it is owned by an American.
MAROON
AG
Is Aston Martin a Canadian team? Stroll owns it. A lot of the car comes from Germany. HQ in the UK.

American and Saudi sponsors

mts6175
AG
I don't feel like Haas will own that team much longer. He made that clear a few seasons ago on DTS. And after putting all of last year into this years car and getting no results, my gut tells me he's going to sell it.
jorgerr96
That is what I have been saying, his contract ends in 2024, but I guess the word should have been extended rather than renewed?

I know he has the 2024 contract but I don't think he will get it renewed/extended for 2025-2026.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.