Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,910 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
DatTallArchitect
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd love to know the 50 BBQ restaurants you would put ahead of Hutchins. They have always been fantastic when I've been there
agfan2013
AG
Eh I'd put it about like a Kreuz Market or Coopers (both previously on top 50 lists but no more). Just average bbq, although the pulled pork was definitely sub par. Looks like you Dallas boys are a little protective of it, I get it, maybe it was just an off day but I didnt leave there wanting to come back the next time I came through town. Too many other places in D/FW area to go now, that since I'm rarely in the area I'd rather try some other places out whenever I'm in the area.

And I assume you dont literally want me to list out 50 places haha. I had about 20 already typed up and figured that would be a bit much. I do some driving for work but my list will skew to central texas and have some places like Matus BBQ in Caldwell that most of yall have probably never heard of so hard to have a direct comparison. And for the other half of "my list" there would be some assumptions that a place like Goldees, Interstellar, L&L, corkscrew, etc. would rank similar to Truth or Franklin and so I'd have them over Hutchins as well, if I ever made it to them (probably wont for the #1 and #2 spots).
agcrock2005
AG
I'm not protective of it at all. I haven't been in a while either since so many good places have popped up in DFW. No need for a FW side of DFW guy to drive all the way over to McKinney or Frisco when I have several really good places near me now. I was just surprised because when I used to go they were very consistent and I never left thinking they could have done much better. Best I've had in DFW was Cattleack a couple years ago. Haven't had Goldee's or Panther City yet but look forward to trying.
cecil77
AG
These lists are interesting.

But, really, BBQ is one of those things that has a ceiling on how good it can be. There's a lot of really good BBQ in Texas (and yes even more crappy BBQ) - but once you get into the "really good" category, judging differences is shaving w/ a pretty fine edge and is based more upon preference than anything else.
JCRiley09
AG
Which emphasizes why originality and creativity had so much influence on this year's list. Gotta find new ways to stand out beyond prime brisket
AggieFabricator
I don't have a issue with lists, but I'll say that bbq is kind of subjective. Any place that made this years top 50 probably could of made top 10 of the last list. Joe Rogan actually made the point on his podcast, there's good bbq, and then there's just holy **** bbq, and he's kind of right, there's a lot of holy **** bbq being served all over the state. There are places that made the last top 10 I wouldn't go back to again after trying, and there are places that didn't make this years top 10 that I'd say are in my top 3. It's kind of splitting hairs.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Going to New Beaunfels for the next few days, what's the consensus best place actually in NB or within a 15-20 min drive?

I want to try 2M at some point but doubtful will be able to this trip.
Koldus131
AG
Burnt Bean
AggieFabricator
Pretty slim pickings around New Braunfels outside of Coopers or Rudy's. There's Hays Co. BBQ in San Marcos. I'd suggest Burnt Bean about 15 minutes down the road in Seguin, highly recommend the Sunday breakfast as well.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I've never lived in the DFW area. Just genuinely curious if you could actually put 50 bbq restaurants above them. There were some in the top 50 list that I would pick Whataburger over. That makes me believe it's hard to find 50 restaurants better than Hutchins. Lockhart in Plano made the list, and they are easily the worst bbq I've had in the state of Texas.
htxag09
AG
AggieFabricator said:

I don't have a issue with lists, but I'll say that bbq is kind of subjective. Any place that made this years top 50 probably could of made top 10 of the last list. Joe Rogan actually made the point on his podcast, there's good bbq, and then there's just holy **** bbq, and he's kind of right, there's a lot of holy **** bbq being served all over the state. There are places that made the last top 10 I wouldn't go back to again after trying, and there are places that didn't make this years top 10 that I'd say are in my top 3. It's kind of splitting hairs.
Well put. I'd also elaborate and say it depends on what people like in bbq. Some people prefer ribs, others brisket, etc. Some like a heavy hand on the pepper, other's are all about the sauce. It's fairly unreasonable to believe that one bbq place is going to be the best in every meat, let alone that they are going to cater to everyone's individual preferences for those meats.
Mathguy64
AG
AggieFabricator said:

Absolutely. You dont need to stand in a line for 3 hours anymore to get really good BBQ. And thats a very good thing for everybody.
JCRiley09
AG
Ate at Panther City BBQ this afternoon. About 50 people in line and it took an hour (a little over a minute per person, that's not bad, right?)

The food was great. Really top notch from the meat to the sides. The exception was the pulled pork (out of ribs, so I went with pulled pork); it was missing something…. not sure what.

It was fantastic, but I'm not sure I would recommend waiting an hour for it. Glad they made the top 10. Love it for the city to have two top 10 spots, but the BBQ I had at Daynes a few weeks ago was on the same level and 6 people were in line there.

JCRiley09
AG
Also, there are times I eat so much bbq, I leave thinking, "I'm going to wait a few months until I do that again."

This was one of those times.
Jock 07
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Also, there are times I eat so much bbq, I leave thinking, "I'm going to wait a few months until I do that again."

This was one of those times.

Ha, I know that exact feeling.
AggieFabricator
Had Eaker today on a day trip to Fredericksburg.
agcrock2005
AG
Not sure that is in the same class as some of the other places you've posted recently.
AggieFabricator
For sure. I liked the food at Eaker for what its worth. The brisket was not the best today, Mac and cheese and kimchi fried rice were great. Pulled pork was good, I loved the gochujung (prolly butchered that) ribs.
Rascal
AG
Cattleack in Dallas has a soft spot reserved in my heart.

Slow Bone is also outstanding.

Heim BBQ by Love Field is also very good in the convenience but still good quality category.
Bulldog73
AG
Rascal said:

Heim BBQ by Love Field is also very good in the convenience but still good quality category.

I'm pretty sure Heim by love field had a fire and was going to close for a while.
Saxsoon
AG
Waiting at Goldees this morning. Got here at 7 and there were only two other gals before me. Only 5 people right now, I think the initial rush died off a bit
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
ftworthag02
AG
what time do they open?
I've been meaning to try it for the last couple years and just never did. Drive right by it on the way to Metro Maples. Kicking myself!
Saxsoon
AG
11am
ftworthag02
AG
so how was it?
agfan2013
AG
So while we wait for the guy to respond about his experience, can I just point out how weird it is that the new #1 joint in the state only had 5 people in line on a Friday after 8am? And within a month or two of the list coming out, it's not like we are 2 or 3 years removed from the list and about to be getting a new one.

Ever since Snows and Franklin have traded #1 and #2 the last few lists there has always been a long line at both. I will grant that Snows is only open once a week and the Netflix special added to their craziness, but you've never been able to walk up to Franklin after 8:00 and have 5 people in line, even on a Tuesday or Wednesday. I've seen the owner at Burnt Bean post about the line forming at 7am down in Seguin for his place.

Any thoughts? Did every person in the D/FW area simultaneously think: "I bet there will be a ton of people in line today so I'll go another time" and therefore nobody showed up? Did TX monthly get the place wrong and they aren't nearly as good as where they placed them at? Or am I way off base and there's a way easier explanation?
Saxsoon
AG
The Brisket was incredible bar none, best I have personally had. Turkey had a nice pepper bark. I didn't care for the ribs but that was more of a personal thing than anything technically wrong with it.

I don't know what to tell you. By opening they had over 100 people in line.I think it is a combination of being pretty isolated in the DFW area, on a Friday when people are working, probably not a lot in DFW that want to wait on a working day and there is just a **** ton of options now in DFW. I don't think you can in the short amount of time that the list was released have half the state just say the place is not good.
AggieFabricator
The line at burnt bean hasn't been as long as it was prior to my last few stops in there, one of which was last week. Ernest seemed to think because of the holidays every one is seeing a little slow down right now as far as the line, while seeing a huge influx of pre orders for the holidays. No idea if that's it, but makes sense.
_lefraud_
AG
As Saxsoon stated, Goldees is isolated, probably 20min from downtown FW and off a windy road that rarely gets traveled, unless you are going back roads or to the dump. Not sure if they still provide free beer, but they had a Shiner keg one of the times I went, and that was a nice little bonus.
Saxsoon
AG
They had a massive cooler of beer and water
JCRiley09
AG
I'm not buying the "isolated" excuse. Snows is in Lexington and lines were super long even pre-Netflix.

Honestly I think we're looking too much into how short the line was 4 hours before open on a workday morning. Snows opens early so of course their lines are long before sun up. Franklin revolutionized brisket and became almost a mythical figure and experience - also right across the highway from downtown Austin which hosts huge media and tech conferences all the time which will help boost publicity. Not exactly apples and oranges.
AggieFabricator
I haven't been to Goldees, but I'd say part of the whole deal about Snow's and Franklins, is the line and the interactions you have in it with people from all over the place. Snows on a Saturday is absolutely electric, there's a vibe and feeling there that's special. I think it's the diversity of people there all for the same reason. It just works out well. Last time I went, I shared a table with a family visiting Snow's from Guam. 17 hour flight with two kids for one of Miss Tootsies pork steaks is some serious desire for bbq.
agfan2013
AG
So you agree location isn't a factor, I agree. Lots of people travel just for bbq, hell the second time I was at Burnt Bean a few weeks ago I traveled from B/CS and met some of my buddies there just for the bbq and drove back, lots of people out there that are even more into it than we are.

And it's not 4 hours before opening, they serve at 11 so it's more like 2.5 or less.

The holiday factor I can understand and makes sense.
Saxsoon
AG
I think we are also in a bit of a different world from 4 to 8 years ago, part of it still after effects of the pandemic.

In addition, Those places built up a legendary status at the advent of "craft bbq". You don't need to necessarily drive and wait for 10 hours to get good bbq now. Those places built up a myth that I think is harder to cultivate now. DFW now has nearly a fifth of the top 50 and 3 of the top 10.

I am glad I waited for goldees but there is some damn good bbq that are more convenient and can mostly walk up to.
JCRiley09
AG
Saxsoon said he was there at 7
cecil77
AG
Of course I don't understand how anybody could stand in line for brisket much less than hours long line. There's nothing I will wait in a line like that for

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.