Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,814 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Jock 07
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wadd96 said:

Cattlelack cooks Prime.

But if you know what you're doing Select makes a damn fine meal. Ask Snow's!

I literally heard him say they are using Akaushi during pits and punch a few weeks ago
wadd96
AG
Cattlelack? I can guarantee you Snow's uses select, and foil, anc Clay cooks the briskets rather than Tootsie...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Simply for discussion...the surveying at Camp Brisket (last I saw at least) shows precious little difference between Prime, High Choice, and Waygu.
wadd96
AG
I've cooked all 3... Prime and Upper 2/3 Choice are pretty close. American Waygy really has to much fat unless you take it to 210*. I can't tell you how much fat I had to cut out after running it to 205*.
Saxsoon
AG
Yeah Cattleack
gooberman83
Jeeez… that was quick!
Beef Cheek
AG
https://www.tdi.texas.gov/news/2022/dwc08232022.html

Let's just say I've always been team Wayne…
wadd96
AG
Holy s**t! Was not expecting this...
BurnetAggie99
Dang also wasn't expecting that.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. That's got nothing to do with BBQ and everything to do with a dumbass business owner committing insurance fraud.
agcrock2005
AG
Wow.
schmendeler
AG
Might be adios to La BBQ
wadd96
AG
Kinda run in the family?

I know they can't take a $700K hit...
DatTallArchitect
AG
schmendeler said:

Might be adios to La BBQ
One would think $700k in restitution would be a death sentence for a small restaurant. I'd love to know the full story. They make it sound like it was a small incident, but then state there was $350k in claims.
Beef Cheek
AG
I'll just say it involved a hand and a meat grinder.
schmendeler
AG
The article references a severe injury suffered by an employee while operating a piece of kitchen equipment.
Buzzy
DatTallArchitect said:

schmendeler said:

Might be adios to La BBQ
One would think $700k in restitution would be a death sentence for a small restaurant. I'd love to know the full story. They make it sound like it was a small incident, but then state there was $350k in claims.
When a story mentions a 'severe injury' and 'kitchen equipment', your first assumption is something was cut off/mangled. If it is a hand injury (which we know it was due to Beef Cheeks' reply), you're looking at rehab, physical therapy, possibly prosthetics. $350k is nothing, that could be the original hospital stay.
Wild West Pimp Style
Jock 07
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Yeeesh
agcrock2005
AG
Beef Cheek said:

That's awful.

I think what could make it an even more serious (and expensive) crime is the wording below. "lifetime care" sounds like a blank check for the injured party.
Quote:

When Travelers received the claim for the employee's injury, they approved the claim and paid the injured employee more than $350,000 in medical and indemnity benefits. The insurance company is also responsible for lifetime care of the injured employee.
DatTallArchitect
AG
schmendeler said:

The article references a severe injury suffered by an employee while operating a piece of kitchen equipment.
Thats what I get for skimming and locking on to them waiting 4 days even though they knew it happened that day
houag80
AG
Yeah, they're done unless a white knight comes in to save them. I doubt that will be the case.
Horribly irresponsible.
agcrock2005
AG
I'm sad for their employees but I've never liked her. Always seemed very entitled and arrogant.

Wonder if this was fraudulent too...
wadd96
AG
I know too many people who have lost parts of their fingers in the sausage grinder...
rjones2688
wadd96 said:

Cattlelack cooks Prime.

But if you know what you're doing Select makes a damn fine meal. Ask Snow's!
Every visit i have made to cattleack they made sure to mention they use Akaushi

rjones2688
TejasAg
AG
Nice little lunch at la Barbecue today. You know just in case… Did not get the sausage this time.
AggieFabricator
I see what you did there.
M4 Benelli
Beef Cheek said:

Ok but how was Howlin Rays??

Howlin' Rays is delicious, only had it once. Legit have to survive the line in Chinatown for an hour minimum to get your grub on. With that being said, I had to zip home up the 110 right after as my innards were split something fierce. As I ran to my camode after my bowels declared 6 more weeks of winter from a backdoor prairie dogging, I understood where they got the first part of their moniker.

Re: BBQ, flying out to SA in a few weeks and looking forward to hitting up quite a few of these places. Some combination of Burnt Bean, Blackboard, 2M, Pinkerton's, Dwayne's, Eaker, and possibly City Market may all be on the agenda. Really hoping none of these have a wait time of more than 45 minutes, the missus wouldn't take too kind to that.

wadd96
AG
Haven't been there, but based on reviews, hit up Reese Brothers in SA
AggieFabricator
Only place I'd say you're in jeopardy of a 45+ minute wait would be Burnt Bean. But if you show up early and get in line a little before they open you'll be fine.
AggieFabricator
Todays lunch stop was Leroy & Lewis in Austin, have to go back to the shop today so kept it light. Went with the pork chop as the meat choice today, one of the better ones I've had in a while . I consider myself a pork steak/chop pro and this one did not disappoint. For the sides I went with the pork hash and rice (my favorite item here) and the frito pie. Been to L&L probably 15 times and it seems to get better every trip. No Beef Cheekz today sadly, Cole was the on the block today, chatted about Texas Aggie football and our predictions on who wins the starting job. First time having the mustard sauce today it was very good. Being from Luling and growing up eating City Market, I've got high expectations if you're doing a mustard sauce, this one can definitely hang.

Only complaint is no beans in the frickin chili.

MAROON
AG
Quote:

Only complaint is no beans in the frickin chili.
Beef Cheek
AG
Get out of here with your beans in chili!

Sorry I missed you! I Almost swung by for some cold brew and a pork chop earlier, but got too busy.
AggieFabricator
It's a hill I'm willing to die on. Most of the chili purists out there should do some research on what chili started from (they put all kinds of stuff in it).
BurnetAggie99
Texas chili = no beans

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.