Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,811 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Jock 07
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have but it's it's been since before Covid times. Lane Milne and I went back in '19.

Need to get back again soon
NColoradoAG
Anybody been to Brett's on a Sunday? Think of going Sunday after the spring game with some golf beforehand. Probably wouldn't get there until about 230.
agfan2013
AG
1775 today, absolutely phenomenal. Biggest snub on the top 50 list, bar none.

BurnetAggie99
Agree guys should be in the Top 50 they do a great job.
Beef Cheek
AG
Tom Micklethwait still got the best bread in the game.
Objective Aggie
AG
At Vaqueros in line.

What should I know?

Also slowest line I have ever seen. It like people that got fired from TSA and what a burger.
Objective Aggie
AG
Also I share the love for 1775.

Oh well makes lines more manageable I guess.
Objective Aggie
AG
Taco was flat out amazing.

Rib and brisket were room temperature which was unfortunate.

Potatoes and corn were not the usual so I respect that.
Fairview20
AG
Went to Briscuits this morning at Radio Coffee in Austin. Pretty interesting concept and the brisket was great. Had their Brisket biscuit with strawberry jelly.

Everything on the menu looked great, will probably try the pork belly biscuit when we go back.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Saw this on Twitter this morning. I'm going to have to give them a try soon.
Fairview20
AG
Highly recommend. It's heavier than typical BBQ so be ready for either a nap or a long walk afterward lol
TejasAg
AG
Oh man I've been hitting up Briscuits every other week. Everything I've had has been awesome. Sandwiches are phenomenal. The pimento cheese grits, beans, mushrooms all well done sides. After 4 they offer a small but more traditional BBQ menu. Both sausages I've had (beefy garlic and hot guts) .

Also I haven't seen any mentions of them on here , but Distant Relatives is also serving some good stuff with their own unique touch..
Beef Cheek
AG
Yes yes yes!

Briscuit's and Distant Relatives are two of my favorite spots in town. Chris and Damien are so talented and bring a new perspectives

I got emotional the first time I tried Briscuits, all of the components were so perfect.
rjones2688
Objective Aggie said:

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/18/4f/184f074a91b1dbdf5139663a5c2b4c05ee58279a_2602186_u19847.jpg
Damn thats unfortunate. I was planning on hitting them today since ill be in grapevine. Got me second guessing now
Objective Aggie
AG
rjones2688 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Damn thats unfortunate. I was planning on hitting them today since ill be in grapevine. Got me second guessing now

Oh it's worth going.
An Ag in CO
AG
I really want to thank all of those who post on this thread and include pictures. Much appreciated and very helpful when you only have a few opportunities to hit up any of these spots.
rjones2688
An Ag in CO said:

I really want to thank all of those who post on this thread and include pictures. Much appreciated and very helpful when you only have a few opportunities to hit up any of these spots.
follow me on instagram if you like

rickysjones. I hit a lot of the spots
TejasAg
AG
For those of you who have interest in more than just eating BBQ. Tales from the pits recently did an interview with Michael Johnson of Cen-Tex Smokers, who I believe is a poster on here. He talks about his path into the BBQ world and what he is currently working on.
AggieFabricator
I hit Baker Boys today in Gonzales for their pork steak day. I consider myself pretty experienced in the art of devouring pork steaks. This one was great, a thinner cut than what you'd get at Snow's or the pork chops you'd get at Kruetz or Smitty's. It was great. Perfect char on the edges, tender and full of flavor. I like their ribs and stuffed chicken too when I visit on other days. Wayne and Phil Baker the owners are great people as well.
Koldus131
AG
Don't waste your time with Crossbuck BBQ, the new BBQ place in Farmers Branch a stone's throw away from Cattleack. Any place that serves prime brisket and then just pre-slices it and keeps it in a metal food container at the counter is an affront to humanity. A total waste of high quality meat and your customer's money.

Other meats were extremely average as well and pretty dry. Best thing was the sausage which is just knockoff Lockhart sausage. Sides were just ok.
AggieFabricator
Appreciate the plug. I get nervous as hell when I do those things, you've never heard a worse sound than a recording of your own voice ha. Bryan and Andrew rolled in with a stocked bourbon caddy, that helped.
TequilaMockingbird
I stopped at Coopers in Llano a couple of days ago. 2 ribs, 1/2 link of sausage, a little bit of brisket. $45.00!!! for what was pretty average Q.

I think I'm done with that place.
agcrock2005
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

I stopped at Coopers in Llano a couple of days ago. 2 ribs, 1/2 link of sausage, a little bit of brisket. $45.00!!! for what was pretty average Q.

I think I'm done with that place.
That place was average and overpriced for me about 15 years ago. My favorite part of the meal was the free beans.
Objective Aggie
AG
The one in College Station has a mall food quality to it.
Mathguy64
AG
The one in College Station is a massive salt bomb that explodes in your mouth. It's not pleasant.
BurnetAggie99
It's only open on Friday through Sunday but if you through Burnet then stop at Warehouse BBQ and Meetery. I know the owners & pit master. It's Top 50 TX Monthly quality. They new so TX Monthly hasn't had a chance to get on their radar.
Objective Aggie
AG
Have not been to Louis Muellers in years. What is it like these days?
BurnetAggie99
Objective Aggie said:

Have not been to Louis Muellers in years. What is it like these days?

I went last Saturday we got there at 11AM. Got 2 pounds moist brisket, couple links of Hot Gut Sausage, and Beef Rib.

Was on point and great. Louie Mueller is one of my all time favorites as been going there since I was a kid and know the mueller family. Mueller family is BBQ royalty and some of the most down to earth folks.

Wayne has done a good job continuing the legacy. There will always be folks say it's not as good when Bobby ran it or when John took over for a bit but IMO its still awesome BBQ and will always be my favorite.
Bulldog73
AG
Stopped at Mimsy's in Crockett. Most of the meat and food was solid, but the brisket was completely inedible. Dry as all get out and the only flavor was the pepper that coated the outside.

On the plus side, the Turkey and pulled pork were delicious. Maybe the best pulled pork I've ever had. I wouldn't go out of the way for it, but not bad. Maybe I'd just get some tacos.
Objective Aggie
AG
1775 in College Station

Second time here. Been quality both times.
JCRiley09
AG
What's the side in the middle?
rjones2688
Koldus131 said:

Don't waste your time with Crossbuck BBQ, the new BBQ place in Farmers Branch a stone's throw away from Cattleack. Any place that serves prime brisket and then just pre-slices it and keeps it in a metal food container at the counter is an affront to humanity. A total waste of high quality meat and your customer's money.

Other meats were extremely average as well and pretty dry. Best thing was the sausage which is just knockoff Lockhart sausage. Sides were just ok.

Damn you cant open next to cattleack and produce trash. Reviews have been really bad so far
Objective Aggie
AG
JCRiley09 said:

What's the side in the middle?

Corn casserole. Stellar.
NColoradoAG
Tried to go to Brett's on Sunday after golf but they sold out about 45 minutes before we could get there.
WestTexAG
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Tried to go to Brett's on Sunday after golf but they sold out about 45 minutes before we could get there.
Not positive if you're talking about Brett's in Katy or Brett's in Rockdale, either way, they're both amazing. I was able to hit up Brett's in Rockdale on Sunday at 11:30 and I have to say, its squarely in the top 5 BBQ joint for me. The whole backyard bbq party vibe actually adds quite a bit to the whole ordeal. The meats were all executed extremely well. The pork sausage was so good that my wife asked to buy some raw sausage to prepare for her parents on Easter. This was quite the compliment as her dad is an old school german farmer who is extra picky when it comes to sausage due to making it himself for so long. My family agreed that the Jalapeño Cheese Sausage was the best sausage we've ever had. Hopefully you'll be able to catch them next time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.